4 Piston vs. 1 Piston Calipers - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Jun 13th, 05, 7:42 PM
Team Member
Vegas TC Ambassador

Default 4 Piston vs. 1 Piston Calipers

When considering front discs for my '66 Chevelle, my preference was the nearest to what would have been original ('67 Chevelle), but they proved to be quite elusive, at least reasonably priced. Not long ago, I settled on a '69-'72 new conversion, which performs fine, especially compared to non power 4 wheel drum for 25 years. Yesterday a neighbor gave me a pair of 4 piston calipers that were in the trunk of a '68 Nova SS that he just bought. He is interested in my discs for his '69 El Camino SS Clone. I have a few questions.
1. Why did G.M. go to single piston ? I assume probably price not performance
2. How did the 4 piston perform ? Being new tech for '67, were there problems
3. How hard to find rotors, brkts, kits ?
4. Which spindles ? Original '66 drum, '69 disc, completely different
5. Are these actually Chevelle ? Both rt and lft (they are obviously side specific) have the same casting # 5455530 & 5455533, both calipers have both #'s cast in them.
Thanks Rowdy
COAN Extreme Street Th400/10"
3.55 12 bolt Auburn posi
DAILY DRIVER
BEST: 60' 1.59 / 1/4 10.591 / MPH 129.70
3770 lbs, 91 Octane, M/T ET Street Radials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88c6MLbQvEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTd2O5fZ2lU&NR=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 13th, 05, 10:09 PM
Tech Team

Default Re: 4 Piston vs. 1 Piston Calipers

Those are Camaro castings which had a smaller bore. (1 7/8" vs 2 1/8)"
edit: They might have been used on some Chevelles, but most Abodys used the bigbore.

4 piston brakes are a little more efficient at transferring energy, have more pad surface area, less fade, and less (slower) pad wear.

They have the seals around the pistons, and the pistons are spring loaded. This can create problems. If there is any pitting of the bore it will leak, and if there is any runout in the disc, the pistons wobble and can suck air into the system.
The parts are more expensive, and can be hard to find, esp the correct hose brackets. Camaro hose brackets are available to fit Camaro calipers. I dont know what hoses you would use.
They also tend to wear the pads in a taper, which can make a low pedal if it is severe.
They are also quite a bit heavier than the single piston type.

If I had a '66 and wanted discs on it, I'd probably get the '69 style.
If I had a 67-68, I might want the right ones.
If I had drums and got some free Camaro calipers in good shape, I might try to make them work, but more likely I'd sell them.

I dont know on the '66 spindle. If the '69 bracket is bolting to it, the 67-68 will too. New caliper brackets and the required different backing plate are available new.

The 67-68 Calipers require a rotor with a smaller hub. The 69-72 can use either rotor.
Old Jun 14th, 05, 4:24 AM
Team Member
Vegas TC Ambassador

Thanks for the response, the application of these calipers was the most important issue. Knowing that the casting # is Camaro leads me to believe that they are in fact Chevy II calipers as the Raybestos application catalog states that the part #'s are the same. Actually it states that the pistons are 2 1/16 Chevelle and 1 29/32 Camaro and Nova. I thought it bizarre that the casting #'s were the same, even though they were clearly right and left (different). The brake hose and brackets are attached and rotor/hub,backing plate, etc.. are available aftermarket, I have not located caliper brackets. Since they are not Chevelle items, I'm going to keep the '69 discs for now. I figured that there probably were some performance issues, first year engineering always does ('84 Corvette). With the shortcomings that you pointed out, I may redirect my upgrade goals towards Baer (or similar),no matter what, they'll never be "factory" discs, not on a '66 anyway.
Thanks again,
Rowdy
COAN Extreme Street Th400/10"
3.55 12 bolt Auburn posi
DAILY DRIVER
BEST: 60' 1.59 / 1/4 10.591 / MPH 129.70
3770 lbs, 91 Octane, M/T ET Street Radials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88c6MLbQvEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTd2O5fZ2lU&NR=1
Old Jun 14th, 05, 10:59 AM
Tech Team

Yes, you are right. They came on the ChevyII/Nova in 67-68 as well as the Camaro. I dont know why I keep thinking the big bore are 2.125". I've been corrected many times, and even have a set. 2 1/16". Yup. The small bore are usually listed as 1 7/8, but that's pretty close to accurate (within 1/32").

I thought it was CPP that had the correct caliper brackets for about $200, but I cant find them now. It must have been another site with blue backgound...
Rickscamaro lists some for the J56 option, but I think those were different than the J52 (bigger Vette style rotors, Vette calipers).
CPUcarparts lists 67-68 brackets, used, with no picture. 1967-81Camarocarparts.com lists them in their downloadable catalog, but not online.

That same style of caliper was used from 67-81 on the Corvette, so they work fine, actually great, but they are finicky, and you have to get them perfect the first time. With the '69 single piston floating style, Flunkymonkey can work on them, they stop fine, and you rarely know the difference between a great job and a mediocre one. Plus, if there is a mistake, they dont lead you in circles as much trying to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: 4 Piston vs. 1 Piston Calipers
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.