Revenge on Barking Dogs - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old May 26th, 05, 8:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Revenge on Barking Dogs

I am not advocating cruelty to animals,this is merely a hypothetical scenario.
All actions taken in real life are your responsibility.
You can use a wok for your parabola and the dog whistle can be found in many pet stores and catalogs(I think johnson-smith is where I got mine) The aquarium pump can of course be found at fish stores and yard sales. A piece of latex tubing completes the device , to run from the pump to the mouthpiece of the whistle. the formula for placement of the whistle to be at the focal point of the dish is..1/4 of the diameter of the dish IE; if you have a 12 inch dish , the focal point is 3 inches above the bottom , dead center.
Use coat hanger wire or whatever is handy to mount the whistle in position.
This will give you an amplified directional sound beam directed at your target for a considerable distance(the bigger the dish the farther it goes and the louder at the target area. Just tune the whistle until you get the desired effect from the beasts and leave it there. Stick the handle of the wok in the ground if outside,or aim it through a window.You can drape a cloth of some sort(maybe some camo netting) that will conceal the device over it and let it run.
You probably won't hear the sound but the beasts will.

What a fantastic invention moriarity! I found myself here through a google search for parabolic antennas. I'm building one for a wifi connection. But I too have a barking dog problem. I'm going to have to build one of these. There is a more accurate formula for the focus of a parablola. It's still very simple and the higher the frequency, the more sensitive are the focus requirements.
You take the diameter of the dish and square it. 12 squared is 144 for instance.
You take the depth of the dish and multiply it by 16. a 3 inch depth is 48 for instance.
You divide the second number into the first. 144 divided by 48 gives a focus point 3 inches above the bottom of the dish. This is probably close to the average wok, as you point out. .
But if you have a dish that is 12 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep you have 12 squared divided by 4X16 which equals 2.25 inches for the focus. And if your dish is a very shallow 12 by 2 inches deep, the focus will end up being 4.5 inches from the bottom. This can make a huge difference. Thanks again for the idea.

Found this out there on the net. Don't know if it works but i'm building one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 05, 9:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Default Re: Revenge on Barking Dogs

Dude,
It isn't the dogs fault. Why torment an already unhappy animal. Call the animal control officer, local police etc EVERY TIME the dog is an annoyance. EVentually the morons will get the message. Keep in mind, that your loud engine might just be as offensive to them, and payback is .....
John

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...6593&members=1
Old May 26th, 05, 9:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

I called animal control, that lasted about a week and it's back to the same old dog crap. Animal control told me that i would need myself and someone else complaining before they would come out again.
Screw em, it's time to take matters in my own hands and fix this problem. One way or another these dogs are gonna stop barking.
Old May 26th, 05, 9:56 PM
Tech Team

hey keep us posted on if this works or not. i got a dog barking problem here to. a few of the neighbors already confronted the guy and animal control has been called atleast a dozen times but nothing seems to solve the problem.
Old May 26th, 05, 10:08 PM
Gold Founding Member
Darren

If my dogs are barking, someone they don't recognize is outside. If this is at night, and I'm home, I shut them up by walking outside and yelling "What the f*** is going on out here?" They usually snap to reality and leave. Usually druggie neighbor kid's loser friends.
Beach Cam
TC #78 Gold, ACES #3130
Old May 26th, 05, 10:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad Brad

Location: NSB Or Daytona Beach Shark Bite Capitol of the World
Smile Re: Revenge on Barking Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameano
If my dogs are barking, someone they don't recognize is outside. If this is at night, and I'm home, I shut them up by walking outside and yelling "What the f*** is going on out here?" They usually snap to reality and leave. Usually druggie neighbor kid's loser friends.
I love this one----> I shut them up by walking outside and yelling "What the f*** is going on out here?" Sounds like me, LOL
Iam lucky I live on 20+ acres and the only dos that will bark is my 4 Jack Russels and they never bark as it is.
2009 AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
2009 AACA National Senior Award
ACES Chevellabration Top 3
2010 AACA First Place Grand National Award

Old May 26th, 05, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

I run my fan because of tinnitus (constant, unstopping ringing in my ears). The sound has the added benefit of blocking out the neighborhood dogs.

Around here, someone can get a dog started four blocks away, and the dogs that are near him start barking, then the next group starts, and it just sort of flows over in a wave with every dog in the neighborhood barking.

My neighbor came up with a great fix for his boxer. He throws him a frozen hot dog. This keeps the dog busy chewing on the hot dog for a while, and the barking stops instantly.

To stop my dog barking I need only open the door and look at him. He stops instantly unless there is something really wrong.

Real treasures give you hugs.

The rest is just stuff.
Old May 26th, 05, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspan1830
I am not advocating cruelty to animals,this is merely a hypothetical scenario.
All actions taken in real life are your responsibility.
You can use a wok for your parabola and the dog whistle can be found in many pet stores and catalogs(I think johnson-smith is where I got mine) The aquarium pump can of course be found at fish stores and yard sales. A piece of latex tubing completes the device , to run from the pump to the mouthpiece of the whistle. the formula for placement of the whistle to be at the focal point of the dish is..1/4 of the diameter of the dish IE; if you have a 12 inch dish , the focal point is 3 inches above the bottom , dead center.
Use coat hanger wire or whatever is handy to mount the whistle in position.
This will give you an amplified directional sound beam directed at your target for a considerable distance(the bigger the dish the farther it goes and the louder at the target area. Just tune the whistle until you get the desired effect from the beasts and leave it there. Stick the handle of the wok in the ground if outside,or aim it through a window.You can drape a cloth of some sort(maybe some camo netting) that will conceal the device over it and let it run.
You probably won't hear the sound but the beasts will.

What a fantastic invention moriarity! I found myself here through a google search for parabolic antennas. I'm building one for a wifi connection. But I too have a barking dog problem. I'm going to have to build one of these. There is a more accurate formula for the focus of a parablola. It's still very simple and the higher the frequency, the more sensitive are the focus requirements.
You take the diameter of the dish and square it. 12 squared is 144 for instance.
You take the depth of the dish and multiply it by 16. a 3 inch depth is 48 for instance.
You divide the second number into the first. 144 divided by 48 gives a focus point 3 inches above the bottom of the dish. This is probably close to the average wok, as you point out. .
But if you have a dish that is 12 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep you have 12 squared divided by 4X16 which equals 2.25 inches for the focus. And if your dish is a very shallow 12 by 2 inches deep, the focus will end up being 4.5 inches from the bottom. This can make a huge difference. Thanks again for the idea.

Found this out there on the net. Don't know if it works but i'm building one.
I have the Solution for the Neighbors that dont care if they let their dogs bark!!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iserve...4d.jpg&.src=ph
Now for the real deal the small one is for the dogs, and if that dont get their attention move on to the middle one Guaranteed to work , and when the neighbors can hear jack just fire off the BIG one I GUARANTEE the entire neighborhood will wake up to one of those babys!!!!!atleast up to 5 miles away!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 1badss396; May 26th, 05 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 26th, 05, 10:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

The link got me this:
Quote:
The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible

Real treasures give you hugs.

The rest is just stuff.
Old May 26th, 05, 10:55 PM
Tech Team
Lev

You know, as someone who keeps a dozen dogs outdoors, I find this thread really obnoxious. My dogs bark LOUDLY twice a day for 10-20 minutes during feeding time. That's about it. I guess I shouldn't feed my dogs now, so that you don't hear the barking.

when your children are outside playing in the yard, yelling and screaming as children do, I don't call the police. So don't call them when I'm feeding my dogs. When you're mowing the lawn with your loud-arse busted up lawnmower saturday at 7 am, I don't call the police. So don't call them when I'm loading my dogs into the truck. When you're working outside with power tools, or hammering away at something at 3 in the morning, I don't call the police. I don't call the police when you stumbled home at 2 AM louder than a televangelist with a bullhorn and woke up my dogs. And most of all, when YOUR dogs bark, or are off your property, I don't call the police. Catch my drift?

There are laws for excessive barking during the day, and there are laws for ANY barking during the night. That does not mean my dogs can't bark when I feed them at 8 AM and 8 PM. The world does NOT revolve around what you consider to be a good time for dogs to bark, which is probably not at any time. I feed my dogs at reasonable hours, I keep them quiet at night, and I load them into the truck the night before if I'm leaving at 6AM or earlier. Maybe that's why animal control is on MY side. Next thing you know neighbors will be complaining about the coyotes baying at night, or the sun rising in the east every morning.

off the pedestal
Team Chevelle Member #590
70 Malibu, 396 "LSE" powered
Old May 26th, 05, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Metalhead

My dogs have seen me shoot stray dogs with a BB gun from my window. So when I hear them barking I raise the window and they run for their dog houses.
Old May 26th, 05, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev
Next thing you know neighbors will be complaining about the coyotes baying at night, or the sun rising in the east every morning.
The coyotes don't bother me, but some mornings that sun needs to rise in the west or just come up a little later. It shines right between the cracks in my blinds and it's just a wee bit bothersome.

Is there an Astronomical Control Agency that I could call about that?
Old May 26th, 05, 11:04 PM
Tech Team
jay

My Harley has loud pipes....oh that's right, wrong thread
Old May 26th, 05, 11:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev
You know, as someone who keeps a dozen dogs outdoors, I find this thread really obnoxious. My dogs bark LOUDLY twice a day for 10-20 minutes during feeding time.
Yeah, but your dogs are insane

Almost every house around me has a dog. The neighbors 2 bark at me when I pull in the driveway at night because they think I'm their owner (he gets ome about 30 min after I do). I bark back and they look at me like "WTF Man...?"

Another neighbor has some sort of Husky type (sorry Lev, no idea what it is) and it howls all the time, esp when sirens go off somewhere in town, so I howl with him. I figure 1 of 2 things will happen: Either the neighbors will get sick of hearing me howl and they'll take him in, or they'll think I'm a bit 'off' and leave me the hell alone

Either way, I win
Old May 26th, 05, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlandry
The link got me this:
I fixed the web link!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Bench Racing      Current Topic: Revenge on Barking Dogs
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.