Wiring help for Ford Windstar dual fans. - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old May 23rd, 05, 2:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pro Bracket

Default Wiring help for Ford Windstar dual fans.

It's just about time to install the Ford Windstar dual fans I bought used. It was my understanding, as I recall from memory, that the fans drew about 35amps. What gauge wire should I run from the fans to the relay located in the passenger compartment of the vehicle? I'm guessing roughly 8-10 feet total length from the fans, through the firewall, and to the relays located on the passenger side under-dash. Anyone have a handy chart showing amps draw, length of wire in feet, and the gauge wire necessary to wire it? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 05, 8:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Re: Wiring help for Ford Windstar dual fans.

http://macc.chevelles.net/wiretable.htm

You really should put the relays close to the fans

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club #01
Old May 23rd, 05, 9:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pro Bracket

Why would running the relay close to the fan matter, electrically speaking?
Old May 23rd, 05, 5:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

What is the best way to wire these fans? I bought a painless relay kit from Summit that has turns a fan on @ 200 and off @ 180, should I just hook this to the big fan and run the small one all the time or have them both come on?

I do not want a toggle switch on either for fear of forgetting and overheating. I could wire the small one for when the key is turned...would this be a good idea?
Old May 23rd, 05, 5:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Sean
Why would running the relay close to the fan matter, electrically speaking?
First I think your estimate of 8-10 feet may be a bit optimistic. By the time you get through running across and back and so on you could easily be looking at a bit more.

Next you have to consider the overall resistance in the power feed wires. The longer the wire the more resistance you will have. This equates to power dissipation and heat in proportion to the current squared. So is you have just 1 ohm of resistance (you will have less but this makes for simple math) you will have over 1200 watts of heat generated. Not a good thing.

You will have to run a pretty sizeable wire for this already without the extra up-sizing required for long wiring runs. Then you have to figure out how to pass it through the firewall. And this provides a prime opportunity for a short, as does any extra length.

It is much better to just put the relay up on the core support next to the fans and minimize the power circuit wiring since this is what relays were invented for.
Old May 24th, 05, 12:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pro Bracket

Works for me. Do you guys suggest running a relay for the waterpump and the fuel pump in the rear? I believe the water pump draws somewhere around five amps and the fuel pump is something like 15 amps at max.
Old May 24th, 05, 1:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

For the fuel pump I would say definitely yes. The water pump is more of a maybe. A 5 amp draw would not by itself suggest a relay. But then it may be too much to add on to an existing ignition hot circuit. That would suggest using a relay controlled by any ignition hot and a seperate fuse and power circuit for the water pump.
Old May 24th, 05, 1:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Relays should always be as close to the device as possible to cut down on the amount of high amperage wiring being run through the vehicle, it also cuts down on the amount of voltage drop to the device allowing it to run at it's optimum. Your fuel pump for example may put out 20PSI at 14.4 volts but only 15PSI at 12.0 volts. Running a heavy load wire from the the front to the rear will easily burn off a volt to 2 unless you go overboard with the size of the wire.
Old May 24th, 05, 5:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pro Bracket

You guys are great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: Wiring help for Ford Windstar dual fans.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.