1970 L34 positive battery cable routing - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

Old Mar 15th, 05, 5:39 PM
Tech Team

Default 1970 L34 positive battery cable routing

Finishing touchs to my 70 SS, page 629 of the factory assembly manual shows a clip which you will see a arrow pointing at, wonder if anyones 70's SS are also ran in this fashion with a routing clip mounted to frame under battery tray, thanks steel
Advertisement

Old Mar 15th, 05, 9:56 PM
Gold Founding Member
Rich

Send a message via MSN to richr
Default Re: 1970 L34 positive battery cable routing

When I did my hardtop it had the orig cable and orig starter - never removed. There was no clip as that nor any sign of one. Only the one from the motor mount.

Rich
http://www.my70ss.com (see page for Restoration Labels)
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/august2001.html]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 20th, 05, 2:17 PM
Tech Team
Roy

I am the original owner of a 1970 L34 built at the Kansas City plant in Sept. of 1969.

The assembly manual I have shows a different routing for the cables compared to the one you have in your post. I don't know how to post a picture, so I'll try to explain. The positive on my car from new was routed to two clips at the engine mount. One clip is mounted horizontal, to the 2 top bolts on the engine mount, and holds the cable in kind of a vertical position in front of the engine mount, The second clip is mounted to the lower engine mount bolt as shown on your diagram.

But, the negative on my car is mounted to the engine block as shown on your diagram. My diagram shows it attached to the top of the alternator bracket, which is the way most of the 1970 SS's that I have seen are. Apparently changes were made during the year.

Good luck.

Last edited by silver chevelle; Mar 20th, 05 at 2:37 PM.
Old Mar 20th, 05, 5:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver chevelle
I am the original owner of a 1970 L34 built at the Kansas City plant in Sept. of 1969.

But, the negative on my car is mounted to the engine block as shown on your diagram. My diagram shows it attached to the top of the alternator bracket, which is the way most of the 1970 SS's that I have seen are. Apparently changes were made during the year.

Good luck.
negative cable on Big Block cars goes to the head bolt.
on small block cars it goes to the alternator bracket.
04 Wells Cargo 24' autowagon
04 Cadillac Deville
ACES #4390
some pics Webshots Album
Old Mar 20th, 05, 5:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

My assembly manual and the way mine was routed was to a clip that was bolted to the front outside frame mount bolt. The cable ran across the front of the crossmember, thru the clip then curved back and up behind the engine mount. It also shows the clip on the frame rail below the battery.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old Mar 20th, 05, 10:37 PM
Tech Team

Thanks gents, just trying to figure out the right way, seen so many variations its unbelievable, thanks again for the input, steel
Old Mar 21st, 05, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Paul

My70 BB (402) Chevelle pos cable wiring is as follows: No prod clip on frame under bat tray. Routes to clip on engine mount as identified in the assy man and continues behind the oil dipstick tube and connects to the starter. Neg cable attached with bolt, and star washer to pass head.

I'm confused as to why there are references in the thread to "my assy manual" says such and such. They should all be the same. The assy manual also shows pics of the same thing on seperate pages, so check the series, RPO, or drawing updates.

Last edited by Super70; Mar 21st, 05 at 12:57 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old Mar 21st, 05, 3:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Steelworker198
Your 1970 assembly manual should show three pages for that diagram.There were three pages of the Battery Cable routing,& you show the first version.
Page 628 is the final design,and shows that production clip/location was actually deleted before cars were produced for 1970.

Begining in 1970,Batteries were grounded at the Pass.BB head in the early production months,Later BB cars were eventually grounded at the Alternator Bkt.Even though an early built 1970 Chevelle received the NEW BB upper alt. Bkt with the threaded hole to ground these at,(and Alt. adjusting Hole),they stiil were mistakenly grounded at the head by the Ass.Line worker,(Used in 1969) untill they were notified to change this.

Assembly Manuals are iffy..meaning when you buy a reproduced one,chances are the reproducers deleted most of the pages that count.For 1970,it should be 915 pages TOTAL.
DON'T go to the Back when buying one of these to see if there is a page 915.That won't show you if they deleted the pages in between.
You need to look through it entirely to see if they are all there.
Your example here is a perfect one as to why you should do this.
Chances are if you bought it new wrapped in Cellophane,it is a Shortened knockoff.
The reproducers remove the earlier or later pages to save costs & just show you one possiblity of a diagram.

Last edited by mr70; Mar 21st, 05 at 3:47 PM.
Old Mar 21st, 05, 5:47 PM
Tech Team

Question Re: 1970 L34 positive battery cable routing

Mr 70, thanks for the reply, so my car was built the first week of october of 69 that means also that the negative battery cable should go to the head correct??? now my page 628 shows it is for models 13857-13867, now 629 and 630 show it to be for the 13000 models, does yours show this??? thanks steel P.S. 915 pages front to back, shows all items deleted during production or before production

Last edited by steelworker198; Mar 21st, 05 at 6:11 PM.
Old Mar 21st, 05, 8:26 PM
Tech Team
Roy

mr70

Thanks for that information on the manual. My manual pages are numbered, in order, up to 533. I can see the numbers were added to the pages, since the font doesn't match the original, and the page number locations are not in the same position on all the pages. Now I know I am missing a lot of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Restoration Corner      Current Topic: 1970 L34 positive battery cable routing
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.