starter - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Top Tech Reference Tech Articles

Old Feb 17th, 00, 5:42 AM

ive already done a search.i have a 70 chevelle with the small flexplate,a 74 350.the block has diagonial starter holes,every starter i try wont mesh with the flexplate.any ideas how i can get the right starter without changing the flexplate or drilling a new hole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 17th, 00, 9:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

If you have the small flexplate ( believe its 12" vs 14" for the large) you need a starter nose with inline bolt holes, not the diagonal. If you block is only drilled for the diagonal bolts, you will need to switch to the larger flexplate and use the starter you have, with the diagonal bolts. I think the block should be drilled for the inline bolts also, if that is the case get a starter for a 307, all 307s I have had came with the smaller flexplate. Just verify the nose has the bolt holes inline, not diagonal..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
Old Feb 17th, 00, 11:49 AM

the orignal motor was a 307.i have that stsrter too.my 350 doesent have the bolt holes straight across.it looks like i have to change flexpates.
Old Feb 17th, 00, 2:08 PM
Tech Team

That would be the easiest way. I had the same problem with my car. Didn't realize it until the car was back together.

If I were you I would just change the flexplate.

What I did was too much of a headache. I drilled the 3rd hole.
Old Feb 17th, 00, 5:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

You may already know this but, to change the flex plate without removing the tranny try this trick: As you remove the tranny to engine mounting bolts replace the top two and the bottom two with extra long bolts. Remove the rear tranny mount bolts and drive shaft. Now you can slide the tranny back far enough to remove the torque converter and flex plate.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

Old Feb 17th, 00, 5:19 PM
Moderator/Gold 67

Try this trick, bolt the starter on you want to use with the solenoid off the starter. You will only be able to get the one bolt in, make sure it is the right bolt. Square the starter to the flex plate, push the gear out and check for engagement. Next using a tranfer punch, go down through the long bolt hole of the starter and mark the block. All the blocks have boss on the under side, but they are not all drilled. Drill and tap the block for 3/8 16 threads, counter bore the top of the hole larger just like GM did. Done. Bolt the starter on and the small flex plate will work. Just did one for this 60 vette I'm working on. I'm using the late model LT-1 starter, it only fits the small flywheel.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block" second owner
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette(crashed)Bad day at Blackrock! 6 grand in damage!

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 02-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 02-21-2000).]
Old Feb 18th, 00, 5:32 PM
Team Member
Tom

BUZZ,
I have to go with Wally on this one. I would do almost anything to keep from pulling the tranny. Even though I only have 4sp cars, the procedure for drilling the second hole would be the same with a bell housing bolted to the block.
I, personally have always been fortunate enough to build blocks with 3 starter holes, so I have never done this procedure myself. But I just can't imagine that it could be difficult at all.
Heck, I might just have Wally run over and do it for me!

------------------
Tom Parsons
Old Feb 18th, 00, 6:55 PM
Moderator/Gold 67

This is a self defence move, changing the flex plate after all the goodies are bolted in is like slamming your fingers in a car door.

And one other thing, don't let anybody tell you there is a starter that will solve the problem, been there. The small flywheel had the straight bolt pattern, not the stagger.

If you use the LT-1 starter, you need to grind the mounting pad so it will fit flat on the block, the regular GM starter works without doing this. Use the brace, brace it, make sure it has the rear brace, did I say brace it!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block" second owner
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette(crashed)Bad day at Blackrock! 6 grand in damage!
Old Feb 19th, 00, 1:31 AM

thanks for your help guys.we just got a foot of snow.after im done digging out ill try drilling&tapping that hole.this happened to me about 20 years ago,i should have rembered,boy my fingers hurt.
Old Feb 21st, 00, 8:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

Buzz, you might want to search down David's post on drilling/tapping. It was a nightmare for him )I think) and is not such an easy chore with the block in the car. look at his post and you;ll see what I mean. Wally and DZ are consummate pros with really good tools. Just a warning, could be a real bitch.

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > Top Tech      Current Topic: starter
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.