4 spd torque ratings - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Top Tech Reference Tech Articles

Old Nov 4th, 00, 3:20 PM

I need to know the torque ratings for richmond T-10, the Muncie m-21, and m-22.Thinking of puting one of these behind my 70 chevelle big block with 4:11 gears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 00, 6:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Torque capacities for the Richmond T-10' can be found at their web site http:\\www.richmondgear.com and as for Muncies, I've never seen actual published torque capacities for them but I would take them to be similar to the Richmond. I had an M-21 and then an M-22 behind my 440 (427 +.060)in a 65 Chevelle that I literally beat the daylights out of and never broke either of them. If you're lucky enough to find a nodular iron case Super T-10, they are good for 450+ lb. ft. of torque. Many of the early (72-74) iron case aftermarket ST-10's had 9310 nickel gears just like original M-22 Muncies. I have a 1972 AS9-T10X, 2.64:1 first gear with the 9310 gears - very hard to come by these days. I'm no expert on these matters by any means. This is just the extent of my experience. More info for you to think about.
Old Nov 5th, 00, 7:29 AM
Tech Team

I talked to the guys at gearzone, they said m-20 are rated at 375, m-21 at 400 and no officail rating for m-22 . You must remeber m-22s were designed for road racing not the drag strip. Yes they have stronger gears but the case is the weak point. They stretch ! Doug Nash made a cast iron case for them years ago but its rare stuff now. It all boils down the weight and traction the more you have of either the shorter the life span
In reality?? I have a 427 thats making about 500 HP on a good day with an extra 150 of N20. I have never had slicks on it but the same m-20 has been in it since 1984.
Old Nov 5th, 00, 8:20 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Same as Roger.( No bottle). But if I was running slicks and 1320's alot, I'd rethink it. ( actually, I'd run a auto ).
Old Nov 6th, 00, 3:17 PM
Moderator/Gold 67

I will take a Muncie any day over the super T-10, cast or aluminum. The aluminum version is more prone to case destruction than a Muncie. I have seen these babies blow apart, blow the counter gear out the bottom. If the sick dog was not bolted in, the stuff would have hit the ground. It did so after removal from the car. The cast case will do the same thing, only saw one do that.

In all the years of working on Muncies, never have I seen a case blow apart. Seen all the teeth off the input and cluster, seen gears welded to the main shaft, the input try to eat it's way out the front of the case, just about everything, no cases blown apart.

You can head the cluster moving away from the other gears under extreme load by bushing the case an moving the cluster closer to the main drive and input. Noise will be greater, but it makes it stronger.

------------------
Wally
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block" second owner
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette
Old Nov 7th, 00, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Wally, my 21 is going to be rebuilt with the shaft moved closer, creating this M22 - like whine. At least for a while.

Found it was a 1965 case with post 69 side cover. it has the small shaft.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 11-07-2000).]
Old Jun 4th, 04, 1:02 AM

I had the pleasure of blowing all the teeth off first gear in a saginaw. Now my M-20 seems to be doing alright so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > Top Tech      Current Topic: 4 spd torque ratings
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.