gravity vs. conventional siphon spray gun - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Dec 6th, 01, 11:20 AM
Tech Team

I have no spray paint experience. I want to buy a gun and spay the necessary primers on my 65 resto project. I intend to leave the topcoats to professionals. What is the difference between these to guns? Also what advantages of each. Also, some guns are HVLP, while others of the same model are described as conventional. Should I go HVLP? I have a 5hp compressor, 60 gal tank, that puts out 11.4 cfm at 50 and 9.0 at 90psi, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 6th, 01, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Go with a hvlp gun they might be more money but well worth the added cost. They produce less over spray and have higher paint transfer rate then the conventional gun.

The main difference between them is the amount of air required to spray out the paint. The hvlp uses less air pressure then the conven, and the hvlp to me seems to break up the paint into finer particles then the conven gun.

The siphon to gravity fed is personal choice I prefer the gravity fed myself but others hate them so use what feels more comfortable to you.

Buy a good gun but buy the cheapest gun and get a name brand gun there is a difference and that is a big difference. Get a shrape or binks, sata. Those are some the big names in guns and all make a cheap gun to spray. Shrape cobalt gun is a good gun for primers for what is costs at around a 100 bucks. But what ever you do dont settle for just a cheapy at sears or harbor freight because they are 39.99 get something good.
Old Dec 6th, 01, 11:46 AM
Tech Team

I purchased a Sharpe HVLP low volume platinum.. Best research I ever did! www.sharpe1.com they have a refurb plan and can get you a refurbed gun for half the price.. both guns I purchased were refurbs, and work exceptionally well!

------------------
X-Ray View of my Chevelle
Getting Closer
Old Dec 6th, 01, 5:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

My personal guns are a Sata nr2000 for base and clear coats. cost me around 400 bucks and in my opinion the best gun out there. For primers I have a mac tools gun which is copy of the Sata I have, paid around 140 for that.

The gun that normie has is a very nice gun, also if you go to paint supply house they know where you can buy reman guns or they might have them on hand, that would be the road to travel if I was you.
Old Dec 7th, 01, 11:10 AM
Tech Team

thanks normie and sevt-chevelle. I was interested in the comment regard refurbs, as I got in the mail the Sharpe refurb list, reasonable prices. I see the Autobody store sells a Devillbis Finish line gun for a reasonable price, and my compressor can handle its demands. But I recall some posts where they say stay away from Finishline guns. Is there a problem with that gun that anyone knows of?
Old Dec 7th, 01, 2:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I never got anything but orange peel or worse with the Finishline II. I gave mine away and bought a Sata Jet 90 and got much better results.

Many argue the finish line is a great gun but that was not my experience. It was probably my post over there bad mouthing that gun.

As for air consumption of the finishline I found that it would take 3 times as long(more passes) with the finish line which in effect had my compressor running more than with the Sata Jet which is a conventional gravity feed gun. That Sata gun flows out the material and keeps you moving with the gun, with the finishline you go back and forth several times to get a good coat and progress is slow. I dont have any experience with any other guns because this was my first paint job but the more expensive devilbiss guns are probably a good choice as well as the Sharp platinum.

Also the finishline has more parts and some are plastic. Its a pain to clean and I ruined one tip and baffle with gun cleaner. The only thing I liked about it was the cup liners.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg
www.chevelles.com/showroom/newpaint1.JPG
Old Dec 7th, 01, 2:42 PM
Tech Team

The guys have covered just about everything. I have a Sata 2000 like Sevt and it's a good'un. My favorites are Sharpe Mod 70 &75. They are old and aren't hvlp. Old habits are hard to break I guess. My absolute favorite is a small Iwata siphon feed that I got in Japan years ago.

I have a couple of gravity feed guns besides the Sata, but after years of using siphon feeds, I prefer those.
Old Dec 7th, 01, 2:43 PM
Tech Team

The guys have covered just about everything. I have a Sata 2000 like Sevt and it's a good'un. My favorites are Sharpe Mod 70 &75. They are old and aren't hvlp. Old habits are hard to break I guess. My absolute favorite is a small Iwata siphon feed that I got in Japan years ago.

I have a couple of gravity feed guns besides the Sata, but after years of using siphon feeds, I prefer those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: gravity vs. conventional siphon spray gun
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.