lock-up converter in a TH 400 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Apr 10th, 03, 2:54 AM
Tech Team

Does anyone have any experience with a lock-up converter in a TH 400? If so, what is the process to adding this to a trans. not currently set up for lock-up? Also, where can you find the lock-up converters for the TH 400 and how is the lock-up switch supposed to be set up? Thanks for any help.
Advertisement

Old Apr 10th, 03, 7:25 AM
Tech Team

I don't think it can be done, even the overdrive 4L80E (which might be considered the later model version of a th400) doesn't have lock up.
There are switch pitch th400's that use a converter with two stall speeds and a switch in the trans to change between the two.
Maybe one of the transmission guys here can provide some more information.
Old Apr 10th, 03, 7:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

John, I have not seen this done, as Jay indicated. The switch-pitch deal was used by Buick-Olds-Caddy(?) a long time ago. It had a setup that changed the stator fin angle. It was not a setup capable of withstanding much power though, it would blow the fins out of the stator if you made any power at all. I have seen many Powerglide race trannies that have been made into lockups, especially for ultra-high HP heavier car applications. But, you are looking at over $7K for a complete setup! Using a lockup in a TH400 sounds like you are maybe after some cruising economy, and not so much performance? I would look to one of the factory lockup trannies, there are quite a few HD parts now made for them. I sell TCI and JW, you can see the TCI stuff at www.tciauto.com, they have a decent website. JW has a site, but not much is on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 17th, 03, 4:51 AM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Bob Cunningham
Actually there is a lockup conversion that was developed about 2 years ago. It is made by a company in New York, I think, I could look it up for you if you'd like. It was developed for racing, and will handle a lot of HP (800 - 900). The only downside is that it runs in the neighborhood of about $2,700 for the parts to convert it (including the convertor), then you essentially have to rebuild the tranny to install everything (another $400 or so, depending on your tranny shop) (unless you can do your own tranny rebuilds). It was intended to lock up at the end of the 1/4 mile so you can get improved efficiency and better MPH.

The switch-pitch is a much better way to go in my opinion. You will still have to remove the tranny and essentially do a whole rebuild (the front pump has to be replaced and you have to putz with some other internals), but is much cheaper and very strong- you can buy a conversion kit from Kenne-Bell (under $200 not including convertor), and a convertor for about $450 (www.trisheld.com. So if you add a bench rebuild from your local shop, you are in it for about $1,000. It is a wicked setup- in my daily driver, I get fabulous gas mileage and still occasionally can put about 750HP into it (although the convertor manufacturer recommends a limit of about 600HP). My convertor gives about 1800 low stall and 3000 high stall- works great for both highway cruising and for racing.

I gotta tell you, I love my switch pitch! I don't know why they aren't more popular. I can tell you, I'll never get rid of mine!

If you want more info on where to get the convertor, shoot me an email at bobcATgnttype.org.

-Bob Cunningham
Old May 17th, 03, 8:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Not New York, but Tennesse: http://www.converter.com/vigilante.htm

I'm not sure where these come from, but http://www.converter.cc/C-5conversion.htm also offers lock up TH400 converters

FLP Trans has them in the works as well.

Old school be damned - you will be seeing more and more high hp cars going this route.

Thomas
Old May 17th, 03, 8:52 PM
Tech Team

I was under the understanding that Yank has what he called a posi lockup converter, the clutched locked by the torque, the more torque the harder it held. Call him to get the details.

Lee

My Projects Homepage: http://www.horsepowerracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: lock-up converter in a TH 400
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.