200R4 lockup wiring - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Sep 6th, 03, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

I finally got a 200r4 installed today, not running yet but I want to verify the lockup wiring for it. It is a monte SS 200r4. I checked out the bowtie overdrive site and all it shows that is necessary is a 12v power source through the brake light switch and then to the solenoid connector on the side of the trans. Is that it? Does this mean that the trans will lockup automatically in 4th gear and unlock when I hit the brake switch? I was reading through the archives and was seeing guys here using a manual toggle to turn on the lock circuit and I was wondering why if it works automatically as is. Also all the links to peoples wiring diagrams seemed dead now since they are old, any suggestions? I cant wait to try one of these out in an older car.
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac
other money pits and projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 03, 10:50 PM
Gold Member

The answer is yes it is that simple if your tranny is set up for 4th gear lockup only. Your tranny will always lockup after it shifts into 4th and unlock if you hit the brakes.

When you wire in a switch for manual use it is to allow lock-up in 2nd 3rd and 4th. You still need to set up the brake switch cut off even if using a manual switch.

January 2004 Feature Chevelle
69 SS Chevelle, Pro-Touring, 600+ HP/TQ; A/C, P/S, P/B
1300 Watts of stereo and 11.90 at 118.46 MPH on Goodyear Eagles.
My Showroom

Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
Old Sep 6th, 03, 11:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

Is there any way to tell if my trans is setup for the automatic lockup in 4th? It is out of an 85-87 monte SS, believe the code was CZ? From what I remember of driving the monte SS's I dont remember any lockup in 2nd or 3rd, just in 4th, or at least I remember the RPM drop in 4th when the converter locked but nothing like that in 2nd or 3rd.
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac
Old Sep 7th, 03, 1:09 AM
Tech Team
Scott

Trace the wires inside the pan. But I can't see one not being setup for auto 4th LU unless it had a non LU converter.
Old Sep 7th, 03, 10:43 AM
Tech Team

On mine, full time power is sent to the positive wire on the TCC solenoid. A ground is sent via vacuum switch to the 4th gear clutch switch, engaging the TCC solenoid in 4th gear only. A manually operated switch completes the ground to the TCC clutch, locking the converter in 2nd, 3ed, and 4th. For this to work you must have a two wire solenoid, a one wire is grounded by contact, and will engage whenever power is applied.
Old Sep 7th, 03, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

Is there any way to tell what I have now without dropping the pan, possibly by the number of pins on the trans connector? This trans is stock so should have whatever the factory had as far as setup. **edit** found some info that says that the CZ trans uses a 4th gear pressure switch to tell the ECM the trans is in 4th gear, and that the ECM then sends a ground to the solenoid to lock it. So that sounds like 4th gear lockup only..I have also seen posts that the 200r4 doesnt flow fluid to the cooler unless its locked up..very confusing. Should I just get the B/M speed control lockup setup or can I wire this up simply?
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac
Old Sep 8th, 03, 11:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

wow where are all our 200r4 guys?
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac
Old Sep 8th, 03, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Dave, the guys over at Turbobuick.com are really great for 2004R info. Check the transmission forum and good luck!
Old Sep 8th, 03, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

thanks Tony I will check there..from reading the archives I thought we had a few guys here that had gone through this swap.
69 70 71 72 novas
37 Buick 47 Cadillac
Old Sep 8th, 03, 8:43 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via ICQ to CParman
at my shop we just finnished installing a 200r4 into a 78 corvette. the transmission we took out was a th350. what we did to insure lock up was to take the hot wire from the stop light switch. On this corvette it has a 4 prong stop lite switch. 2 of the connectors are for the stoplites, and 2 are for the cruise control. The cruise side of this switch is "normally closed" ans when the brakes are applied it "opens" the switch. this would unlock the converter when the brakes are applied. we also put a SPST toggle switch in line of this switch to keep the converetr from locking up in stop and go traffic.

IF your trans has a switch screwed into the valve body, you can have 4th gear lockup only, and If you put a toggle switch in the wire going to it you will be able to trun off the lock up feature when driving in traffic 35-50 mph stuff. I own a Grand national, and because of my 67 Chevelle, I have not done the toggle switch yet, and it is kind of annoying to drive in the 35-50 rush hour traffic.
HTH Chip Parman
1967 ss396 clone. powdercoated frame,suspension,r12 bolt posi,7004r, and just about everything else! 502,700r4,12 boltposi, ps,pb,fact. a/c,pw, tilt, buckets. Teakwood steering wheel. I LOVE MY CAR ! 2200 MILES NOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: 200R4 lockup wiring
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.