powerglide still leaking fluid.. need some advice - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Apr 11th, 04, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

Send a message via AIM to BowtieAaron
hey ya'll,

well for the 2 months that the velle has been at school, just about all the tranny fluid had leaked out of the glide.

my question is is there a lucas tranny fluid that i could put in the tranny to stop the leaking, or should i just get a new cast alum. pan? i had recently done a new pan gaskt and filter change in it about 4-6 months ago, but it has only been driven for not even 1 mile since that. after i did the gasket change, it didnt leak. but now its been leaking ALOT. it seem it is leaking from around the pan, and yes all the bolts are tight., but not over tight.

any help is geat.

aaron
12.27 @ 109 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
http://youtu.be/PvZ7tDVyryw
Nitrous 150 shot
http://youtu.be/sg-m5knb0Ww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 11th, 04, 9:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

anyone know?

aaron
12.27 @ 109 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
Nitrous 150 shot
Old Apr 11th, 04, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

It's probably leaking at the dipstick tube. What seems to happen is that the converter drains when the car is left parked for a while and then the level gets above that of the dipstick tube and it leaks out. I had 2 cars with glides and they both did it. I can't figure out any other spot it could be leaking. They never leaked when driven regularily though.

Peter
Old Apr 12th, 04, 4:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

ok thanks.

yeah it didnt leak at all until i drove it to school and around the parking lot, then it started leaking. the thing is. its leaking on the diver side. i will look tomorrow and see where its coming fromo

aaron
Old Apr 13th, 04, 7:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

If on the drivers side it may be the shift lever seal in the case. If on the other side, it could be cooler line fittings, the dipstick tube o-ring, servo cover, and on some later trannies there was a pressure switch for a spark retard. What pan gasket did you use? If cork, it should have been installed with either no sealant, or a light bead of 3M yellow weatherstrip sealer to hold it to the pan. Torque the pan bolts to about 90 inch/pounds. I like the Farpak or Accopac gaskets myself, and install them dry as well, or with a thin coat of assembly gel lube on each side. Cast pans have a few benefits. They can add fluid capacity if you use a deep one, plus they help to strengthen the case since they help avoid flexing like a stamped pan will allow easier. If you need more help contact me!
Old Apr 13th, 04, 9:01 AM
Moderator/Gold 67

Everytime I hear a story about powerglides leaking it reminds me of a leak in my glide.

I took the stupid stock car to a local track one evening and just before eliminations started I was in line for one last time run. I did the big burnout then pulled up to stage. I was just sitting there and the starter dude came over giving me the cut off sign, so I did. The trans brake solenoid had come out of the trans and put about 6 quarts of fluid in the left lane of the track. Man where those guys pissed.

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old Apr 13th, 04, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

My P-glide leaks, even after new seals and pan-gasket recently. I just take it as the 'nature of the beast' [img]smile.gif[/img] . I keep it topped off and don't worry about it.
Old Apr 13th, 04, 3:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

thanks guys.

i didnt get a chance to get it on the lift today and look under it, was to busy on getting the floor patched. but i will look into all the things you guys said. i used a cork gasket, dont rememeber wut type though, but i just used a dab of the blue silicon on 2 parts of the gasket to keep it inplace until i put it in.

aaron
Old Jun 21st, 04, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

well digging this thread up again.

the tranny is still leaking.

it looks as if its either coming from the driver side front of the pan. or from the shift lever seal. is that shift lever suposed to move in and out? because i can move it in and out a lil bit, and when i do this, a little more fluid comes out, just a few dropplets. and is this seal easy to cange? do i have to drop the tranny to do so, if it is that?
a guy my dad works with said i shouldnt us any gasket and use some of that black RTV silicon stuff. i questiond him about it, but he said he uses it on all of his oil pans and tranny pans and stuff like that, is it a good idea or not?

its def not coming from the fill tube, its leaking on the driver side. and also, there is a lil hole and a crack in my platic dust sheild, and i noticed a little puddle under there, and a little bit of fluid hanging on the outside of it.

well if anybody has any other advice, either post it here or email me at speeddemon88@rcn.com

aaron
12.27 @ 109 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
Nitrous 150 shot
Old Jun 21st, 04, 8:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Aaron, on a stock Glide there is a detent kickdown lever shaft that pivots inside the hollow shift arm on the trans. It uses a small o-ring to seal it. Yes, the shift arm may barely move back and forth, but not much. Check the detent arm too. If it moves a lot, you may be needing to drop the pan and reposition the clamp that retains the detent shaft. You merely loosen the fastener, and then shove the arm as far into the shift lever as it will go and then snug up the fastener again. If it is real loose, the o-ring will nearly come out of the recess at the outer end of the shift arm and it will leak badly. If you do drop the pan, it is not too hard to replace both the shift arm seal and the detent o-ring at the same time.
Old Jun 21st, 04, 9:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

oldani,

thanks alot man. is it a good idea to use black silicon as a sealant for a gasket type deal, or should i just get a new cork gaskte? or could i just re-use my fluid soaked gasket? and wut kind? im really looking forward to getting this trany to stop leaking.

well if i have anymore problems or questions i will post them

aaron
Old Jun 22nd, 04, 7:40 AM
Senior Tech Team

Aaron, I never use any RTV on a trans pan, especially with a cork gasket. It will leak, just a matter of time, lol. If you use cork, glue it to the pan with yellow 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. But, I prefer the Accopac or Farpak gaskets, which are a bit more expensive but do not leak. I always install them dry, or on a cast aluminum pan I actually put a light coat of trans assembly gel lube on each side so they do not stick so badly. Tighten the pan bolts to about 95 inch/pounds and then make sure to retorque them at least once.
Old Jun 22nd, 04, 8:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kris

Hello Steve,

What about using the GM paper gasket and using a very light film of RTV?
What are the disadvantages of using RTV on a trans pan?

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd, 04, 9:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

Steve,

thanks again man. i will have to pick one up. would my auto parts store sell them gaskets, or would i have to buy from a special store?

aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: powerglide still leaking fluid.. need some advice
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.