68 HEATER CONTROL VALVE (ABSENCE OF) - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

Old Sep 27th, 01, 5:56 AM
Team Member
Tom

Apparently 68 Chevelles did not have a heater control valve to shut off the water to the heater core. Just the opening and closing of the doors inside the heater and air cond plenum is what controled the temp (I guess). The heater core in my son's 68 started leaking so I disconnected the heater hoses and looped one to bypass the water. WOW! THE AIR CONDITIONER IS FREEZING COLD NOW!!! Has anyone rigged up a heater control valve on their 68 (like maybe on a 70), other than installing a manual shutoff valve in a hose?

Or, was the 68 SUPPOSED TO HAVE a valve, and maybe someone in the past removed it?

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 09-27-2001).]
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 27th, 01, 6:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
j

Yes, if it's factory A/C there should be a vacuum operated valve mounted on the front passenger side fenderwell.

Jim H
69 Malibu
whatsupdoc
Old Sep 27th, 01, 7:35 AM
Gold Member

Year One does list a valve for '69 and up models, but nothing for the '68. If you have a shop manual or assembly manual you should be able to figure what type (if any) valve you need. It probably would be pretty easy to adapt a valve to your car.
Old Sep 27th, 01, 1:03 PM
Tech Team
Patrick

There should indeed be an inline water temperature control valve mounted to the passenger side inner fender for 68. I believe it is cable controled, rather than vaccuum. Part number 3400672.

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017
Old Sep 27th, 01, 4:42 PM
Team Member
Tom

Then, if that is the case, my is gone, and there is no evidence of anything to actuate the valve (loose vac hose or cable). Is it possible that a 68 300 Delux didn't get a heater control valve with factory AC? Could some of you guys who have a 68 with factory AC go raise your hoods and see what your cars have in the way of a valve in one of the heater hoses?

------------------
Tom Parsons
Old Sep 27th, 01, 9:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

On '69 and up the valve closed with vacuum and opened with lack of vacuum. On '68 it was the other way around. Mine was missing, but this is the way it was shown in an old Heating and Air book at the local parts house. The '69 had provision for mounting the valve on the firewall, but the '68 didn't have this (again according to the book at the parts store).

I also had vacuum lines running into a block on the temperature control lever from the firewall, but mine were cut off at the firewall and no valve was present when I got the car. The HVAC control panel was broken, and no more good to me. I found a few more panels from other '68 Chevelles, but each one was different. I think this had a lot to do with the confusion from the UAW strike during those production runs.

I'm not sure about the "concours correct" way to install it, but this is what I found in my research. I installed a '69 valve on mine simply because it was in stock at the parts house and I'm not concerned about originality. It was also nice to have a bracket mounted to it. Now I just have to figure out a clean way to control it from the cockpit. For now I just disconnect the vacuum under the hood when I want it hot.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 9-17-01)

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of The United States of America."

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 09-27-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > 2001      Current Topic: 68 HEATER CONTROL VALVE (ABSENCE OF)
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.