Restoring Seat Belts - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
2001 General Tech questions from 2001
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

Old Feb 10th, 01, 9:50 PM
Tech Team

Anyone know of a way to turn my faded black seat belts back into black seat belts?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 01, 1:20 AM
Gold Member

Marhyde makes a spray dye for nylon carpets, etc. that works well on seat belt webbing too. Note that this is different than dye for vinyl upholstery. Good luck!

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50
ACES #3784

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
and the latest - '70 Malibu 454!

See them all at the all-new Rainer's Hot Rod Shop!
rseitz@chevelles.com
Old Feb 11th, 01, 1:24 AM
Tech Team

Do you know where I can get ahold of some of this?
Old Feb 11th, 01, 5:19 AM

I know where you can get it in North Jersey, (which of course is no help to you...) Why don't you try www.bondomarhyde.com/ I bet they can put you in touch with a local distributor- (I've used their Hi-temp paints, very durable)

------------------
'66 Malibu, 2 dr. hardtop
L6-230ci
Old Feb 11th, 01, 9:38 AM
Gold Member

I have picked this up at the chain auto parts stores. Its called Marhyde Fabric Color, and the item # is 2150 in black. Its for carpet, velour, & upholstery (not vinyl or plastic), essentially items made from nylon or similar material.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50
ACES #3784

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
and the latest - '70 Malibu 454!

See them all at the all-new Rainer's Hot Rod Shop!
rseitz@chevelles.com
Old Feb 11th, 01, 9:47 AM
Gold Member

I have used the Rit fabric dye successfully for black belts. It is available in most grocery and hardware stores. The dry powder stuff works pretty well; I have not tried the liquid type. Cost is about $1.50 per package.
Old Feb 11th, 01, 9:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

The previous owner of my car used that spray on dye stuff on my belts. After a few years, it had faded unevenly and made the belts go stiff. I had to buy another set of used ones. The new one were faded, too, but at least they weren't stiff.

I wanted to dye them, but do it right. I bought some of that Rit stuff at a fabric store, but the instructions weren't very clear, especially for nylon. I called their customer support 800 number, and talked to their engineer/chemist and asked how to dye seat belts. He laughed, and said funny I should ask, he used to work for DuPont in the seat belt group, and knew exactly how to do it.

I am sorry don't remember the details, but there is a process he told me and I used. It was something like mix the dye in water (precise amounts), then bring it up to some exact temperature (like 180 degrees). Then, chuck the seatbelts in, and cook them for so many minutes. At the end of that time, remove the pot from the heat, and stir in an amount of vinegar. Let them sit for so long, then take them out of the solution and put them in cold water.

It worked fantastic, they really do look like new. Again, sorry I don't recall the details, call the dye company and see if you are as lucky as I was to get routed to the right guy.
Old Feb 11th, 01, 9:46 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via ICQ to ilbl8

please be very carefull about doing this stuff. nylon weeken's with age from UV exposer. a seat belt could save your life! i would replace them! you can't be too carefull! keep the original one's if you want to show the car or something...but use new belt's in it for driveing and such.

i was a M.P. in the army, seat belt's save live's. i investigated only one accident where the seat belt helped kill the driver, it was an off road misshap with a jeep that went off a clif, the drive could not jump free cause of the seatbelt. it would not relese, acording to the passenger that lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > 2001      Current Topic: Restoring Seat Belts
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.