PerTronix Flame-Thrower Ignitor III Billet Distributor - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jan 1st, 14, 7:03 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Default Re: PerTronix Flame-Thrower Ignitor III Billet Distributor

So do you guy's think I will be better off with a DUI HEI (Davis Unified Ignition) taylor made unit? even though it doesn't have a rev limiter
-Dana 60 3.54 Posi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 14, 10:29 PM
Tech Team

I've seen that stuff as well. There is a vast difference in one or two components "Made in U.SA.", and ASSEMBLED IN CHINA, vs a fully Made in U.S.A. unit.

Some 'manufacturers' used to do just that, one or two U.S.A. components, sent to other countries, and assembled there, but, because there were a couple of parts made here, they could claim the whole mess was "Made in U.S.A." GREAT sales advertizing ploy.

Years ago, it was not well known that some parts and components were actually made in Japan, long before Taiwan and China were as large as they are now. Parts used to come to the U.S. from the Japanese city of "USA". No lie, there was a manufacturing city in Japan with just that name.
Old Jan 2nd, 14, 2:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
I've seen that stuff as well. There is a vast difference in one or two components "Made in U.SA.", and ASSEMBLED IN CHINA, vs a fully Made in U.S.A. unit.

Some 'manufacturers' used to do just that, one or two U.S.A. components, sent to other countries, and assembled there, but, because there were a couple of parts made here, they could claim the whole mess was "Made in U.S.A." GREAT sales advertizing ploy.

Years ago, it was not well known that some parts and components were actually made in Japan, long before Taiwan and China were as large as they are now. Parts used to come to the U.S. from the Japanese city of "USA". No lie, there was a manufacturing city in Japan with just that name.
No idea where they are assembled or what part is made where, but they still claims us as country of origin.
One difference between the Pro billet msd distributor 8361 and 8360 ready to run is that on the box of the 8361 it says made in Usa pretty big but no such thing on the 8361 ready to run box maybe that indicates something?

One more question for you Dave what brand reluctor and pickup are you using in your small body HEI?

Still just asking not arguing.

Marcus
12 bolt 3.73 33 splines

Thanks to Lewis racing
Old Jan 2nd, 14, 8:52 PM
Tech Team

Ford
Old Jan 2nd, 14, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
Ford
Thanks! I almost thought you was using msd pickups and reluctors by looking of the colours on the wires in your conversions. The ford pickups I have seen only use one colour on each wire orange and purple. But I have only seen a couple of ford distributors since Im a chevy fan. But msd used Fords design for their pickups so maybe thats why I thought that?

Marcus
12 bolt 3.73 33 splines

Thanks to Lewis racing
Old Jan 2nd, 14, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Just found a standard with same colours as msd on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111221740081?redirect=mobile
So this is what msd is using in reality? And charges the twice for?

Marcus
12 bolt 3.73 33 splines

Thanks to Lewis racing
Old Jan 3rd, 14, 10:50 PM
Tech Team

MSD doesn't make their own magnetic pickups, they are an off the shelf Standard Motor Parts "Blue Streak" item.
Old Jan 8th, 14, 2:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

I contacted MSD and their tech said the MSD ready to run is made in Usa but lots of well made copys is circulating. He told me to watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a1lfWWTfk0c
and in the end they assembles msd distributors but guess the module can be made in china?

Marcus
12 bolt 3.73 33 splines

Thanks to Lewis racing
Old Jan 8th, 14, 1:42 PM
Tech Team

As I said, components can be made anywhere, and our government allows the "manufacturer" to mark the part as "Made in U.S.A.", IF some percentage of the unit is put together here, in the U.S.A.

Now, just how much of the 'Ready to Quit' is actually "Made in U.S.A., is left to be seen. ANYONE can take an existing RtQ apart, then, make a video to show reassembly, and state what ever they want about the whole thing, now, can't they.

MSD, last year, sold a few magnetic pickups that WEREN'T American made, NOT Standard Blue Streak. they have now gone back to /American made pickups. Those offshore pickups came in the same packaging as the American made ones did, but clearly had "Made in China" on that packaging. almost 70 percent of those Chinese MSD pickups I checked, had the magnetic polarity reversed. I sent the Chinese ones back to MSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: PerTronix Flame-Thrower Ignitor III Billet Distributor
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.