Locating the voltage regulator on a '71 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old Jun 29th, 03, 3:59 PM
Tech Team

I am looking to replace the regulator (since most everything else was replaced when fixing my battery drain problem). I believe it's supposed to be up near the radiator mount on the driver's side but I am not having much luck. Can anyone enlighten me?
Advertisement

Old Jun 29th, 03, 11:51 PM
Gold Founding Member
Sid

Dan,

You're looking for a metal box that has a large plug on the bottom with 4 wires going into it. It'll be on the driver's side of the radiator. Autozone sells one, Wells VR715,

http://www2.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail &Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EVOLTAGE+REGULATOR%7C%7ENONE% 7C%7EWELLS%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7 E130005%7C%7E1860%7C%7EVR715%7C%7ETO+TEST-%3E+LOCATE+PART+NUMBER+IN+WELLS+TEST+MANUAL%7C%7E% 2411.49%7C%7ECHEVROLET%7C%7ECHEVELLE%7C%7E1971%7C% 7E3+MO%7C%7E0.4%7C%7EEA%7C%7EB
"Until we, as citizens, become proud of the job our government is doing, no elected official should serve more than one term." TC (Gold) #174
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 30th, 03, 6:17 PM
Tech Team

Sid,

Thanks for the response and I have purchased that same regulator but have not located the old one yet. I can see what looks like the horn relay. Am I looking in the right area? If the alternator has an internal regulator, how would I know? Appreciate the help!
Old Jul 1st, 03, 11:45 AM
Tech Team
Earl

Yes, you are looking in the right area. Sounds like you have may have a internal voltage regulator within your alternator. A alternator with a internal voltage regulator has a different plug (wider with spades laying down - - ). External regulated alternator has parellel spades (=).
Old Jul 1st, 03, 2:34 PM
Tech Team

71CC,

Just checked and it looks like I have an internal. Well, I'm learning and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Now to return the new regulator . . .

BTW, that is a fine looking 71 you've got! How about I park my Elky at your place and pick it up in a few months? Some folks are just gifted. I'm not one of them . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by 71chevelleconvtble:
Yes, you are looking in the right area. Sounds like you have may have a internal voltage regulator within your alternator. A alternator with a internal voltage regulator has a different plug (wider with spades laying down - - ). External regulated alternator has parellel spades (=).
Old Jul 1st, 03, 3:03 PM
Tech Team
Earl

Thanks for the compliment and I am glad you got it figured out [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: Locating the voltage regulator on a '71
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.