72 Ground Strap Locations - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old May 21st, 02, 4:32 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Can anyone tell me the proper locations of the 3 ground straps for a 72? They were supposed to have a diagram with them, but it was such a poor photocopy it may as well have been a blank sheet of paper. TIA for any help.

------------------
Dennis Jones
TC#940 ACES#4918 72 Malibu Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 02, 5:24 PM
Hey You!

Well, here's my take for what it's worth.
I bought a 72 Malibu in October 71 from a dealer. It is a California 350/350 non-A/C and came with an AM only radio. The car has no ground straps and never had any ground straps. Still goes after 31 years. I can understand why the 64-70's need a grounded chassis but not the 71/72. If you are putting them on for show correctness, I don't really have an answer. Mine is correct without them.
Old May 21st, 02, 5:50 PM
Team Member

I'm sorta with John on this one... On my 71 I got the strap kit as well. But could not find any mention in the assy manual. After searching over 20 year old photos, there didn't seem to be any in the bay anywhere.
So I left them off. Everything (but the wiper motor) seems to work. I haven't noticed them on other 71's either. I don't have the technical reason though why they wouldn't be needed. They probably would help.. Proper grounding in these cars seems to be very important.

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
JODY'S 71 or Peach State Chevelles
Old May 21st, 02, 6:22 PM
Hey You!

In 71 the front turn signals were moved from the front bumper (frame) to the fender extensions (body). Can't think of anything else electrical tied to the frame. The 71/72 frames are not isolated from the body. There still are the frame bolts tying the two together.
Hey Jody, I'll try and send you an email in the morning, my time.
Old May 21st, 02, 8:00 PM
Gold Member

Dennis,
My 72 has no ground straps and it never did since the day my dad bought it back in 71.

------------------
Tino #28 Gold
72 Malibu 350-300,700R4
83 Grand Prix LJ 305
Old May 21st, 02, 9:02 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Thanks for all the responces. I couldn't find anything in the assy man. either. That's why I questioned this.I wonder why all the repro places list them as 64-72? Oh well, my loss. It's been too long to return them. If anyone should need these, let me know, and they're yours, free of charge. Thanks again, Dennis
Old May 21st, 02, 11:19 PM
Hey You!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deejay:
I wonder why all the repro places list them as 64-72?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
'Cause they are not as smart as TC members? BTW the neutral safety switches sold for a 72 aren't right either at the places I checked. Anything listed for a 71/72 isn't right. The 72s are different.
Old May 22nd, 02, 7:31 AM
Tech Team

If your not worried about "correctness", why not put them on anyway? It sure won't hurt anything and since they're already paid for... Or, this is a good excuse to buy another Chevelle so you can use them.

Cars that use these have one on each valve cover going to the firewall and a short one going from the frame to inner fenderwell under battery. (not needed for plastic inner fenderwells)

Cars that have FM also have a short one going from the frame to firewall near driver front body mount.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me...

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

The 348/409 Chevrolet forum
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/187005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: 72 Ground Strap Locations
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.