Daunting task ahead of me! - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Welcome Forum Stop in and introduce yourself.

Old Oct 13th, 13, 9:27 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Default Daunting task ahead of me!

First off, I have been lurking the chevelle forums for over a year for the vast knowledge of bbc motors and combos. So with that, I want to officially say thank you all of you for all of your (unknowingly) help! I have just brought my uncles 70 ss true survivor car home to start the restoration process as well as a new motor build. A little history of his car: He purchased it in 199? something out in California when he was stationed out there in the navy. He drove it around for about six years when a push rod failure led to a motor tear down. However at this point in his career, he was reassigned to Virginia as a govt. employee. Don't really want to say what his job was. So ever since the mid 90s, his car has been stored at our family farm without much progress if any, towards fixing it until now. As stated, it is a numbers matching true 70ss 396/4 speed car. He is pretty excited now that he is retired, to get it back on the road. I have been assigned this duty! I have zero experience working on these cars, however I have built a few high horse mud trucks. My current project is a 69 swb chevy lowered 2wd. That is ultimately what led me to this site. I was seeking street motor builds as far as a 496 goes. So with a little history and a long over due thank you, I will be seeking advice as to what parts to purchase as well as general knowledge! I have the build book for the car as well as Hayes and Chilton manuals. The overall condition of the car in its current state is a 6-7 out of 10. It needs the right front fender replaced as far as body work goes (hit a ditch) and an updated paint job. There isn't really any rust issues and the current paint is a hard enamel/high gloss paint that is brittle. I would also like to look into the options for after market A-arms and suspension while retaining factory ride height, rather than rebuilding the stock componets. I am almost certain we are going to purchase one of Vortec Pros 468 crate motors. The 4 speed has been rebuilt and I have misc new parts that he has acquired over the years to start with. Sorry for the overly long introduction, however I know the more info I can give, the better you guys can help me! I will get some pictures of it posted up this week to give you a better idea of what I have to work with.

Thank you guys and I am really excited to get this project rolling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 14th, 13, 2:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Default Re: Daunting task ahead of me!

welcome to the site.
how hard did the car hit a ditch?
may want to check frame and front wheel alignment...
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...erinstall4.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...-11-200715.jpg
Old Oct 14th, 13, 10:25 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

Without looking into it very far, I can tell that at a minimum the tie rods on that side are bent and possibly the arms. Instead of rebuilding the old arms, I'm looking into a nice set of aftermarket arms. Suggestions?
Old Oct 14th, 13, 11:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Have the frame checked by the alignment shop before anything.
Nothing worse than dumping $25k in something to discover the frame is bent.
2014 Chevrolet SS 6.2 auto/ 2014 ZL1 Camaro 6.2 6 speed SC/ 2011 DurtyMaxx/ 2009 Tahoe 6.0/ 1994 Wrangler 6.0 /1981 Malibu 505/ 1978 Malibu402LSx/ 1971 Monte 496/ 1970 Chevelle454 1970 Monte 454/1968 Chevelle 496 4 speed/1965 442 400 auto.

Last edited by LevonH; Oct 14th, 13 at 9:07 PM. Reason: Changed some words for clarity ;-)
Old Oct 15th, 13, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Depends on your budget. If you're replacing the upper control arms, Some People here like the UMI components. I went a little deeper into the pockets and went with the SC&C components. Do a search on each of these companies (from this site) and get all the info you'll ever want.

Good Luck and welcome to the site.

Proud owner of a bunch of parts that used to be a 70 Malibu convertible
Old Oct 15th, 13, 9:06 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Thanks for all the help! I am trying to get a good frame shop found that's within reasonable driving distance. I just went out to the garage and snapped a picture of it. It isn't a good picture, however pictures help people see what your dealing with. I will get some pictures of it tomorrow out of the garage. I will get some of the damaged fender and the steering links on that side as well. I have been reading up on the different suspension setups that people are using. This car will be a driver, not a race car... if that helps at all?

Old Oct 16th, 13, 3:12 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Welcome to the site.
Old Oct 16th, 13, 3:46 PM
Elizabeth

Pictures?
Old Oct 17th, 13, 7:46 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Sorry about the picture delay. I got side swiped by work this week and its been hectic. I will get some good pictures of the car for you guys as soon as I can get some time. I can't wait to get started on that beast!
Old Oct 18th, 13, 3:35 PM
Supporting Vendor
T.C.

Welcome to the forum Ryan.

I usually ask a few questions before I make any suggestions to determine the best possible bang for the buck.

I think many guys spend more than they need or will use. I pride myself in asking as many questions as possible before making a decision on what is best for the customerís hard earned money.

First question is what do you have for goals for the car once it is done? Is it going to be a factory restoration, daily driver/weekend cruiser, weekend warrior/drag car, Pro-Touring/handling machine, etc.

Second question is do you need and/or plan to improve the braking & steering systems to compliment any suspension upgrades?

Third question is do you have a specific budget in mind?

Lastly, do you plan to do the work yourself?

We have some great parts/kits that work great on these cars and we are developing more for the future!

Here is a install article that the folks at Chevy Hi Performance did on our Level 2 kit:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...l/viewall.html

If you simply plan to cruise the car at first I would suggest starting with a Level 1 kit:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...s&productid=76

This kit will lower your car; lowering the center of gravity in conjunction with larger diameter sway bars improves handling dramatically. The kit also includes the best gas shock available for typical street cruising.

The Level 1 kit is the core of our Level 2 kit so later down the road if you want more from the suspension you can add the necessary parts to make your own Level 2 kit!

I personally think this is the best way to build your car to ensure that you are deciding what you need instead of just spending $$$ before making the call that you need more out of your car's suspension.

813-986-9302 Phone
813-986-8055 Fax
TC@BMRSuspension.com
www.BMRSuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
Old Oct 18th, 13, 3:52 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Hey welcome to the site! It looks like you're starting with a pretty good base there. Not to sure what you're plans/goals are, but if it's a matching numbers car, have you considered keeping the factory control arms and do a rebuild on the 396?

I'm all for big CI motors (I have a 489) don't get me wrong but there is something to be said for a matching numbers car.

Either way - whatever brings you the most enjoyment
Old Oct 21st, 13, 7:49 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Thank you for all of the advice so far! Here are some better pictures as promised. We plan on making a driver out of it. We are keeping the original motor, but at this point don't intend to use it. Just basically want a nice looking hot rod that we can drive. The body shop guy just stopped in and looked it over. He thinks we have an excellent car to start with. He's done a lot of chevelles and owns one himself. He got me setup with a frame shop that's very nearby and has a great reputation. So the first step will be getting it to the frame shop and getting it all back to square in the front. Next we will be tackling the suspension. As far as doing this myself, yes and no. I will have the body shop do the paint and body related work. I will be installing the trans and motor as well as the suspension.

Old Oct 21st, 13, 9:11 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Looks like a nice solid car Ryan. What's with the 454 badge on the fender? BTW. Welcome to the site!
Old Oct 21st, 13, 10:10 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

He put that on there after he replaced the 396 with a 468. I will be putting some 496 badges on there as soon as that motor is done and gets dropped in! haha, I'm sure the purest on the forum will call it blasphemy, but its going to be built as a driver and a hotrod. Doing a full on frame off restore isn't what the goal is. Otherwise we would build the 396 and the stock suspension! Thanks for all the tips tricks and advice so far!
Edit: He does still have the oem ss 396 badges. Nothing has been discarded or thrown away from the original car.
Old Oct 26th, 13, 12:19 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Well I am chevelles.com newest 1 year member! I owe this site alot more than that for all the help and guidance I've gotten over the years from just reading. Now that I have a car to build, its the least I can do to give back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Welcome Forum      Current Topic: Daunting task ahead of me!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.