598 bbc 13.1 compression on the street - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jun 26th, 13, 10:05 AM
Tech Team
Brian

Talking 598 bbc 13.1 compression on the street

Hey guys I just stumbled across a smoking good deal on a 598 big block chevy has dart big m block forged bottom end brodix 2plus cnc ported heads solid roller cam 800-748 lift Jessel rockers 1050 dominator brand new thinking about dropping in my mini tubbed 68 camaro but not sure how the compression will be on the street motor makes 1043 hp at crank only gonna run 32 degrees timing and run it rich will pump gas mix with race gas work?
1972 chevy nova ss (PRO STREET) back half 4 link w/coil overs Dana 60 4:56 gears aero motive fuel system th400 w/4500 ptc converter transbrake fresh 496 bbc 38cc domed forged pistons scat 4340 crank scat h beam rods solid roller camshaft 1050 dominator team g intake new brodix 2plus cnc ported heads aluminum radiator (all throttle no bottle lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 26th, 13, 10:16 AM
Tech Team
Phil

Default Re: 598 bbc 13.1 compression on the street

do you know how much pressure is running in the cylinders?
Old Jun 26th, 13, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Davey

Brian personally I wouldn't try to run a blend like that with 13 to 1.... the cheapest race gas is usually a 110, probably $8-$9/gal in most places around here. If you have E85 where you are that would be the cheapest pump fuel to run with that much compression. You just need a E85 prep'd carb to do that...

SloMo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa13syTsA0E

'67 Chevelle 509 hyd roller
3.89's
9.44 best mph 141.30
5.97 best mph 114.44
3520 lbs
Straub/Foxwell
prepared by:
Nassimbene
&
Trubey

E-Store at
crazydaveyracing.com

Davey..
TC Gold Level Know it All
Old Jun 26th, 13, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Change the pistons or forget the street, it isn't going to work, ask Del. E-85 from the pump is very inconsistant in quality and is a death sentence for a high compression engine. I doubt the engine makes over 750 h.p. with those heads, someone is blowing smoke you know where.
Old Jun 26th, 13, 11:51 AM
Tech Team
Eric

I'm in a similar position. I found a 13:1 BBC shortblock , do I try running it as is or change/ modify the pistons.
Old Jun 26th, 13, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydavey View Post
Brian personally I wouldn't try to run a blend like that with 13 to 1.... the cheapest race gas is usually a 110, probably $8-$9/gal in most places around here. If you have E85 where you are that would be the cheapest pump fuel to run with that much compression. You just need a E85 prep'd carb to do that...
I agree, I used to run a 13.5-1 BBC on the street and what a PITA. I now have a pump gas motor thats alot easier to deal with. Getting race gas is a real hassle, where I live you have to pump it into a can and not a car.
Old Jun 26th, 13, 1:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jason

More hassle than enjoyment I'm afraid, at least for a street car.
Blownchevelle's '70 Touring Build
2014 Plans: E85 Conversion and Suspension
Old Jun 26th, 13, 3:36 PM
Tech Team
Brian

That's what puzzles me I was right at 13.1 comp in my 496 38cc pistons and heads milled to 112 and I would mix 112 octane with 93 and drove it everywhere never heard any pinging or clatter just didn't know if this big of a motor would do it I already bought the engine have all the paperwork for it everything is brand new it's a shaffiroff short block dude just added heads and intake
1972 chevy nova ss (PRO STREET) back half 4 link w/coil overs Dana 60 4:56 gears aero motive fuel system th400 w/4500 ptc converter transbrake fresh 496 bbc 38cc domed forged pistons scat 4340 crank scat h beam rods solid roller camshaft 1050 dominator team g intake new brodix 2plus cnc ported heads aluminum radiator (all throttle no bottle lol)
Old Jun 26th, 13, 3:54 PM
Tech Team
Eric

So here's a question for the pro's that I'm sure everyone has pondered at one time. What is the Max safe cranking compression and compression ratio that can be run on 93 octane. I've heard of big BBC engines run high compression on pump gas due to cylinder pressure being bled off by big cams. Is there any truth to this or racers tales.
Old Jun 26th, 13, 3:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I agree, those heads by Brodix's own numbers only low about 320 cfm. With those heads, that many inches will be done at about 5800@ rpm.

If you were happy with your 496 at that compression, you will probably be happy with the big inch engine as well. But that being said, 95 percentent of the world thinks that much compression on the street is unjust asking for problems.
'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh.../22377/cat/604
Old Jun 26th, 13, 5:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve "Dirty"

Too much compression and what is the cam duration? A piston change for sure and cam change maybe? Is it worth it??
Old Jun 26th, 13, 5:20 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
I agree, those heads by Brodix's own numbers only low about 320 cfm. With those heads, that many inches will be done at about 5800@ rpm.

If you were happy with your 496 at that compression, you will probably be happy with the big inch engine as well. But that being said, 95 percentent of the world thinks that much compression on the street is unjust asking for problems.
Only if they are stock. My buddy has them (ported) on his 582 and is about 980HP/880TQ at 14:1 on alcohol.
Old Jun 26th, 13, 6:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

if it's available, i'd run E85 in it and see what happens... you can get cheap testers that tell you how much alcohol is in any given batch of fuel- it's just a test tube with marks on it that you fill to a line, add water to another line, and shake. then you look at how it all separates out using another set of lines.. then you can pull the timing back a few degrees or whatever if you get less than the ideal amount of ethanol..

-Hank Hill
Old Jun 26th, 13, 10:43 PM
Tech Team
Brian

These heads are hogged out pretty good the were on a 588 before and the intake is port matched to them I look at the brodix 2plus cnc heads on my 496 and these look totally different in the runners
Old Jun 26th, 13, 10:47 PM
Tech Team
Mark Whitener

Looks like plenty of E85 in and around the Austin area. About $3 a gallon for race fuel is a plus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: 598 bbc 13.1 compression on the street
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.