Homemade anti-theft devices - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
1999 -- Tech Files - reference area
1000's of previous topics

Old Dec 3rd, 99, 8:38 PM

I was kicking around the idea of including a hidden Battery switch (such as for marine use) as a kind of anti-theft device for my '70 Chevelle. A hidden run of wire to a switch in the trunk would be idea for some security, but the long run would probably present some serious current delivery problems would they not? Has anyone heard of any "home-made" type of anti-theft devices that work pretty well? Thanks

Dave
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 4th, 99, 2:57 AM
Tech Team

I have heard of a hood locking kit from Year One that allows you to lock your hood down from the interior. This sounds like a good investment.

If your switch is for the main feed to the starter, yes, if you do not get bigger conductor wire, you risk overheating the cable and degrading the insulation from the inside out. Also note that people who have put the battery in the trunk usually relocate the solenoid back there also to avoid having a constantly energized cable running the length of the car. In your case you'd have two.

I am also going to add a hidden switch in the console. I have the wiring diagram, just haven't looked it over for the best place(s) to do the interlock.
jmw

Old Dec 4th, 99, 5:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

try hooking up a push-button on/off switch,(locate it on the passenger side so it's not noticable)to a relay that blows the horn as soon as the coil has power, that way if the guy is smart enough to look for a kill under the dash he won't find it, and if he attempts to even turn the power on, everyone around will know. and you won't have to splice in under the driver side where most alarms do and theives know to look for.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

Old Dec 4th, 99, 6:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hey that's a good idea chev-hell,
Make it look like it might be the "hidden switch" that is disabeling the car from starting and he will be sure to try it.

Take it one step farther and use a relay with an extra set of "normally open" contacts and wire them up to a holding circuit so that the relay keeps itself inergized and the horn won't stop.

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350
M.A.C.C. # 001
macc.chevelles.net

Old Dec 4th, 99, 7:36 AM

That is really funny you guys! (Because I know it would work!) If this is going to be used in public places you might want to limit the time that the horn will sound. I don't know about other parts of the country, but here is Los Angeles if your alarm or horn sounds for 10 or 20 minutes it can be towed away by the city as a nuisance!

Kee

Old Dec 4th, 99, 8:29 AM
Tech Team

How about a solenoid connected to the trigger on a 45 pointed at the drivers seat.That way you would know who it was.Just don't forget to disconnect it...FRED
Old Dec 4th, 99, 8:34 AM

Hey Chev-hell; thanks for the idea! That's a good one! Would you also be able to add an "under the dash" passenger side switch wired into the starter solenoid circuit?

dave
Old Dec 4th, 99, 9:11 AM
Gold Member
Joe

Well, this is more fun than anti-theft, but you never know...

I was toying with the idea of some how running circuitry to the driver's side door handle on my '70 so when someone touches it the radio would light up and start playing Little Richard's "I hear you knockin' but you can't come in" --remember the Movie "Christine" written by Stephen King.

Some how use the same electronic circuitry found in those annoying "touch lamps" where you touch the base and the bulbs turn off or on. Then have a remote control that turns off this "feature" when I go to grab the door handle.

The actual music would come from a hidden module.

Cool, but I don't have that much free time.

Joe
Old Dec 4th, 99, 10:29 AM
Tech Team

I like to use a toggle switch, which gnds the negative side of the coil. this way, the car cranks but will not start. This is great for hei or points or?
Old Dec 4th, 99, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

oh oh i forgot have yall seen those "clubs" that Shock you if you touch em?? i love coming up with thing to do with 12volts in a car , when it comes to 12volts im a genius

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

Old Dec 5th, 99, 1:36 AM
Senior Tech Team

Here's an idea I was kicking around.

It uses a button, camouflaged in the cig lighter, and a potential relay (the contacts can be closed with a momentary switch and will stay closed until power through the load contacts is interupted). This is wired so you push the button while turning on the key, once the key is on you can release the button. Power is now supplied to the ignition. Turn off the key, the contacts open, and the car won't start until you push the button and turn the key on again.

Not really great protection but most theives will be looking for something more complicated.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 12-05-99).]
Old Dec 5th, 99, 4:12 AM
Tech Team

My car is an automatic so I put in a switch to break the current from the neutral safety switch,this also works if you have an electric fuel pump
Old Dec 5th, 99, 7:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Coppertop I think it should play the Cops theam - "Bad boys"
LOUD

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350
M.A.C.C. # 001
macc.chevelles.net

Old Dec 5th, 99, 9:20 AM
Tech Team

Send a message via ICQ to catman

now this is a good post ,,,, I have a switch hidden under dash that cuts the power to the fuel pump <if you have mehanical pump just use a duel tank switch/valve> these days you never know what can happen , just look at stolen Chevelle section ! Do eveything you can think of to keep your baby safe from thiefs , disableing fuel system may be the best because a thief isnt going to have time to dianose problem when they are sitting in a intersection with a dead motor I have enen thought of moving switch down closer to gas pedal so it can be fliped with a foot in case of car jacking <I live in a not so nice area :-( > I do like the .45 under dash idea , too bad its illegal, I think cleaning up the mess afterwards would be worth it

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}
Old Dec 5th, 99, 10:16 AM
Tech Team

A large to very large dog. Train him/her to stay off the car ofcourse, and then put him/her on a 3 ft cable, that has a ring on one end that has another cable ~ 40 feet, that goes around your car (on ground) and hooks together in a continuous loop. This allows Fido free run all the way around the car, so he can turn any would-be thief to FUBAR...

Good audible alarm too...In '88, mine saved my '69 'Meano from a 3AM joy-ride by a recent parole-ee...Well, that and open headers and no knowledge on the part of the thief of an M-22 shift pattern...dumbass kept putting it into 4th and killin' the motor. This gal (yep) actually had the gaul to ask me for a ride after I confronted her w/ a pistol...She got one by the local County Deputy.

Oh yeah, I stopped leavin' my keys in the car after that...Guess I should have put this tidbit in the "dumb things you want to admit to post"

------------------
68 El Camino...Slow, Much Work Required
98 Z28...Fast, No Work Required
Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX -- Where? That's what I said..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > 1999 --      Current Topic: Homemade anti-theft devices
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.