66 Rear Antenna... Where? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
2000 Tech postings from 2000
Reference and reply only.

Old Aug 3rd, 00, 5:43 PM
sschevymuscle

I am looking at having my antenna relocated from front to rear. Where EXACTLY should the new location be punched through? Also, where can I get a stock rear antenna? I have not seen any in Ground Up, Ausleys, Original Parts Group and the Paddock. Unless I missed it I only see front antenna and the front will not angle back like a rear mount. I have three to four days to tell my body shop to patch the front and plug the rear, or skip it. I dont want to skip it.

------------------
Michael Vogt
1966 Chevelle Super Sport
TC Member #800 sschevymuscle@hotmail.com
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 3rd, 00, 6:14 PM
sschevymuscle

I took another look in one of my other catelogs and found a rear mount antenna, I can even do a power one if I want. I still need to know measurements so it gets placed like it was factory.

------------------
Michael Vogt
Old Aug 3rd, 00, 6:28 PM
Gold Member
Joe

VERY important...do you plan on keeping the stock radio. IF you have a factory FM radio, do NOT do the move.

I'm sorry but I don't have the specs you need on mounting. A factory assembly manual would sure help at a time like this as they show dimensions/measurements on stuff like that.

If you keep your stock radio, you'll have to "trim" the antenna so the reception is optimum. I can show you how to do this later.

Yes, in '66 you could have gotten a rear power antenna. It was the only year for that option.

'66 AM radio owners could have gotten:
The standard front telescopic antenna,
Rear telescopic antenna, Rear telescopic power antenna

'66 FM radio owners ONLY got one antenna, a front fixed-mast antenna.

Your antenna would be mounted on the passenger side though regardless of front or rear.

Joe (building this site's radio pages)
Old Aug 3rd, 00, 7:16 PM
sschevymuscle

I have a stock AM radio for now. I plan on putting on of those AM FM Casette CD changer deals that will go right in the place of the AM radio. I know it goes on the passenger side but I want to make sure its placed right. Thanks for the input.

------------------
Michael Vogt
Old Aug 3rd, 00, 9:39 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Michael, for what it's worth, you mentioned wanting a stock rear antenna "the kind that angles down" the stock rear antenna will still be straight up and down, no angle...a repro will most likely have this angle, though I get that feeling you are not going for the stock look on your car, so probably doesn't matter.

Mike

------------------
ACES # 1493
NCOA # 18189
TEAM # 751
All Chevelle Video now available!
Old Aug 4th, 00, 7:08 AM
Tech Team

My 66 has a one piece rear antenna and it is straight up and down. No angle.

I believe it to be original.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale
Old Aug 4th, 00, 7:46 AM

I'll be happy to fax you a copy out of the factory assembly manual that shows exactly where to cut the hole if you give me your fax number via my email address. I'm doing the very same thing on mine.
Old Aug 4th, 00, 8:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Michael
The antenna mounting hole is 1 1/8" diameter located midway, 1 1/2" between the trunk opening lip and the fender peak and 26 3/16" from the rear of the fender, the seam between the fender and fender extension.

Hay Coppertop FYI the rear antenna was also available in 67. My 67 SS has a factory installed rear antenna. The trim tag also has the code for it 2LS (S= RPO U73 REAR MANUAL ANTENNA) Anxiously awaiting your radio pages. Please include information on using rear antenna for FM.

Ok I stand corrected. Coppertop is likely correct. As Mike states in in the next reply.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 08-05-2000).]
Old Aug 4th, 00, 9:11 AM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Elree:

I could be wrong, but I think you just answered Coppertop's point on the rear antenna option for 66, he said rear POWER antenna, your '67 has a MANUAL rear antenna according to what your code says. Just an observation, no offense meant.

Mike

------------------
ACES # 1493
NCOA # 18189
TEAM # 751
All Chevelle Video now available!
Old Aug 4th, 00, 9:16 AM
Tech Team
Armando

So, where would you get a rear "angled" antenna from?

------------------
Armando
So. Cal
66 Malibu,454,M22
64 El camino
57 Bel Air
95 Impala SS
Old Aug 4th, 00, 10:36 AM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Remember it's not the antenna that is angled, it's the base that swivels that will let the antanna be angled, a stock/original antenna did not have a swivel base, but alot of these repro. antennas do. I'm not sure who sells the base, but I can't believe it would be difficult to locate one...contact the many Chevelle vendors that are out there, including our sponsor here at TC.
Old Aug 4th, 00, 10:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Michael, If you are interested, I could make you a template for the hole. My car has the factory rear antenna, but my car is still not assembled, so it's easy for me to do. I actually made one for someone else on this site a while back. Email your address to me at twood@alphaind.com and I'll make one and mail it out as soon as I can. The problem I found with using the measurements shown in the assembly manuals is they seem to use difficult places as the zero point (start of measurement).

------------------
Tom Wood
Gold Member #66
The 66SS/502 will be done someday soon...Honest!
Old Aug 4th, 00, 2:10 PM
Tech Team
Jed

sschevymuscle,
Where did you find the new rear mount antenna? I need to replace mine, and I also want to add the new AM/FM replacement radio like you're planning to. Coppertop, will there be any problems using the rear antenna with one of the new AM/FM radios?
Thanks.

Just wanted to try out a face.
Old Aug 4th, 00, 2:35 PM
Tech Team

I believe that the rear antenna on a 64 Chevelle was angled. I'm not sure about the 65, but our sponsor lists one part number for a 64-65 rear antenna. I suppose you could install one of those instead of a 66 antenna, but please don't install another 'fake' antenna on the other quarter panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > 2000      Current Topic: 66 Rear Antenna... Where?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.