1964 Malibu SS with 327 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old Mar 15th, 13, 9:59 AM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Default 1964 Malibu SS with 327

When I was a kid growing up, my family had a 1964 SS with Goldenwood Yellow paint and 283. Beautiful car, and I literally cried at the age of 12 when my mom totaled it.

Fast-forward to today. I live in MPLS, MN and am in the market for either a 1964 or a 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS. I came across this one advertised for $17K. Thoughts?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...665830684.html

"for sale is a 1964 Chevelle has 327 motor bored 30 over 4 wheel disc brakes 22 inch rims also have stock wheels and hub caps flowmaster exhaust exterior is clean as well as interior very well taken care of and alot of extras put into this car. Be ready for Back to the Fifties with this clean machine."

TLK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 15th, 13, 10:18 AM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Default Re: 1964 Malibu SS with 327

I asked the seller for more pics, and this is what he sent me:

I asked him some questions...

1. The antenna broke off after an automatic carwash in between the pic in the advertisement and the latest batch of 5 pics that follow.

2. The clock and AM radio are no longer functional. All of the other guages/electronics in the dash do work, including the tach mounted on the steering column.

3. The original paint was Goldenwood Yellow (MAJOR PLUS FOR ME!!! )

4. I asked him about the "squarish" looking sideview mirrors and if they were GM or aftermarket, and he said he didn't know.

5. He doesn't know if the 327 engine is original to the car (I doubt it -- weren't all the V8s 283 ci in 1964?).

6. The rear differential is a 10-bolt non-posi one.

TLK
Old Mar 15th, 13, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
When I was a kid growing up, my family had a 1964 SS with Goldenwood Yellow paint and 283. Beautiful car, and I literally cried at the age of 12 when my mom totaled it.

Fast-forward to today. I live in MPLS, MN and am in the market for either a 1964 or a 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS. I came across this one advertised for $17K. Thoughts?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...665830684.html

"for sale is a 1964 Chevelle has 327 motor bored 30 over 4 wheel disc brakes 22 inch rims also have stock wheels and hub caps flowmaster exhaust exterior is clean as well as interior very well taken care of and alot of extras put into this car. Be ready for Back to the Fifties with this clean machine."

TLK
I HATE the wheels and tires. The rest of the car is "OK" but not really anything special. There were 327's offered in 64. Likely the largest 327 was a 300 HP engine. I wonder how a 64 Chevelle takes one back to the 50"s? Also looks to me like the drivers side of the trunk lid does not line up well with the fender. Might be the picture...might not. $17 K seems like a LOT of money.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 10:47 AM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
I HATE the wheels and tires. The rest of the car is "OK" but not really anything special. There were 327's offered in 64. Likely the largest 327 was a 300 HP engine.
I hear ya. If I was to buy it, I would convert it all back to stock (including the paint!). So, yes, I hate the low-profile wheels, too.

Quote:
I wonder how a 64 Chevelle takes one back to the 50"s
That made me laugh, too.

Quote:
Also looks to me like the drivers side of the trunk lid does not line up well with the fender. Might be the picture...might not. $17 K seems like a LOT of money.
Did not notice that in the pics. I have an appointment to look at it tomorrow. If I was to buy it, I have no idea what to counter-offer based upon it's "OK" current state.

TLK
Old Mar 15th, 13, 10:58 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post
I hear ya. If I was to buy it, I would convert it all back to stock (including the paint!). So, yes, I hate the low-profile wheels, too.

TLK
At $17K if you are gonna paint it and change the wheels and tires...pass on it. Once that car is in the body shop I promise things are gonna show up and the tab is going to rise for the paint.

I would pass...find something closer to what you want and or find something cheaper and spend money on that car. This car is too high priced considering what you want to end up with. I would not get hung up on the original color being yellow and making that an emotional part of the decision.

The car is just not "exciting" even as an original car in an original color.

Putting yellow on it will make you happy and that is fine but with yellow or red that particular car just does not have the excitement to be in it for $17K + paint $'s + wheels and tire $'s. Especially when it is likely equipped with a non original engine and a PowerGlide (PowerGlide = BIG HUGE YUK IMHO).
Old Mar 15th, 13, 11:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
DeWayne

why do people always diss the powerglide? They were and still are a fine transmission. I had a 1964 Chevelle SS that ran 13 flat 104 mph in the quarter mile back in 1973 with a powerglide. In fact most dragsters back in the day used them as well.
72 Sport Sedan
Old Mar 15th, 13, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by depley View Post
why do people always diss the powerglide? They were and still are a fine transmission. I had a 1964 Chevelle SS that ran 13 flat 104 mph in the quarter mile back in 1973 with a powerglide. In fact most dragsters back in the day used them as well.
I don't think this guy is talking about a dragster or a drag strip contender. The "Glide" worked...sure it worked but street driver cars are being converted to TH350 or TH400 daily. Even those 350 / 400 conversions are now dated in 2013. In the day of 3 or 4 speed automatics with O/D the PG is a huge throwback. Sure the old cars are cool but if for no reason other than fuel economy and pleasant highway cursing why mess with the "glide"?
Old Mar 15th, 13, 11:28 AM
Tech Team
Jerry

I think "Back to the Fifties" is a local MSP car show event every year.

Jerry
Old Mar 15th, 13, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

Cool car, x2 on not fond of the wheels. Otherwise, if the price is negotiable, and you can confirm no rust or that it has been properly repaired, it should be nice car to have.

I kinda have moved on to liking overdrive. My 66 has a th350 and I drove it 25 miles each way on the interstate yesteday at 75 mph/3400 rpm. It drives me nuts! A glide is bullitt proof, solid, and can be cushy smooth, but not my deal for todays cruising.

I like the older looking engine setups.

If it is close enough to your desired car, and per the above, and can be immediately driven, it may be well worth pursuing. I will have over that in to my 66 New England rust bucket in an year or two, still needing paint, etc.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 12:29 PM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Quote:
At $17K if you are gonna paint it and change the wheels and tires...pass on it. Once that car is in the body shop I promise things are gonna show up and the tab is going to rise for the paint.

I would pass...find something closer to what you want and or find something cheaper and spend money on that car. This car is too high priced considering what you want to end up with. I would not get hung up on the original color being yellow and making that an emotional part of the decision.

The car is just not "exciting" even as an original car in an original color.

Putting yellow on it will make you happy and that is fine but with yellow or red that particular car just does not have the excitement to be in it for $17K + paint $'s + wheels and tire $'s. Especially when it is likely equipped with a non original engine and a PowerGlide (PowerGlide = BIG HUGE YUK IMHO).
My parents' yellow 64 SS had a PowerGlide transmission with black interior, just like it is in this vehicle, so the whole point of buying the car (to have the same feeling sitting in it while cruising around town) is not lost with that option. However, like you, I enjoy driving a manual transmission MUCH more than an automatic. To wit, I have a 1987 Mazda B2200 (restored) which I drive around when snow/salt is not on the ground, because it is so much more fun to drive (5-speed) than my other two vehicles (automatics). Of course, my wife HATES the Mazda, because she can't drive it (deathly afraid of manual transmissions), so I'm pretty sure that if I don't get the PowerGlide option, she's going to hate this car as well.

I've saved up some cash over the years, and I simply yearn to own the car of my childhood once again. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but even she admits that I've earned it over the years (assuming the price is reasonable -- $15-20K), and if owning a Goldenwood Yellow 64 (or a Crocus Yellow 65) SS would make me happy, I should go for it. I have the garage space to store her in during the winter months here in MN.

TLK
Old Mar 15th, 13, 12:36 PM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Quote:
I don't think this guy is talking about a dragster or a drag strip contender. The "Glide" worked...sure it worked but street driver cars are being converted to TH350 or TH400 daily. Even those 350 / 400 conversions are now dated in 2013. In the day of 3 or 4 speed automatics with O/D the PG is a huge throwback. Sure the old cars are cool but if for no reason other than fuel economy and pleasant highway cursing why mess with the "glide"?
No! It will be a 100% cruising machine and daily driver for 9 months out of the year.

All I care about the transmission is that the center console that runs between the two bucket seats be stock. For some odd reason, as soley a passanger in that vehicle, I remember the center console the most and along with the standard GM steering wheel, is a must for me to own any 64/65 SS.

Incidentally, THIS was a car that I wanted about 9 months ago, but it was outside of my price range, and my wife said (emphatically), "NO!" (because of what she saw as too much money)...

http://krobsklassics.com/1964-chevro...riginal-miles/

THAT was nearly as exact as I can remember, my parents' car, and owning it would make me extremely happy.

TLK
Old Mar 15th, 13, 12:38 PM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
I think "Back to the Fifties" is a local MSP car show event every year.

Jerry
Aha! That makes sense now!

TLK
Old Mar 15th, 13, 12:44 PM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd View Post
Cool car, x2 on not fond of the wheels. Otherwise, if the price is negotiable, and you can confirm no rust or that it has been properly repaired, it should be nice car to have.

I kinda have moved on to liking overdrive. My 66 has a th350 and I drove it 25 miles each way on the interstate yesteday at 75 mph/3400 rpm. It drives me nuts! A glide is bullitt proof, solid, and can be cushy smooth, but not my deal for todays cruising.

I like the older looking engine setups.

If it is close enough to your desired car, and per the above, and can be immediately driven, it may be well worth pursuing. I will have over that in to my 66 New England rust bucket in an year or two, still needing paint, etc.
He said that there is rust around the trunk lid near the rear window. He said that it's, "not bad," whatever that means.

I hear ya on an automatic without overdrive. My wife has a Toyota Corolla (4-speed AT) and my neighbor has a Honda Civic (5-speed AT). On highway cruising miles, our Toyota clocks in at 2200 RPM at 60 MPH. I asked the neighbor what her tach reads at 60 MPH, and she told me, "about 1800." If true, it's a big difference in fuel economy.

TLK
Old Mar 15th, 13, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Definitely lose those wheels.
Old Mar 15th, 13, 1:01 PM
Tech Team
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Definitely lose those wheels.
I don't wish to come across as someone who racially stereotypes people, but I have found that the people who love fancy/wild/flashy wheels/rims are more often than not people of color/minorities. Are there whites who love them? Sure. Just an empirical observation. No more, no less.

Let's just say while talking to the owner on the phone about the car, his accent did not sway me away from this hypothesis.

'Nuff said.

TLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: 1964 Malibu SS with 327
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.