454 not running right, need help - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Mar 11th, 13, 6:55 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Default Re: 454 not running right, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Excellent move ^^^^^ . Have a real good look at the valve springs on 6 and 8. Maybe a broken intake spring/rocker arm or ball.

I have the valve covers off now and see no obvious broken parts. With the engine running, I think this would stand out more when looking at them....but who knows...

To tell you guys the truth, I have another engine. I am hoping for a quick fix, but worse case, I'll swap them out and enjoy the season, and start a rebuild on this one. I'll find and post the casting no's...

Current engine in the car is:
block-1401544 seems to be another number at the end that looks like a 6, but not sure...
heads-14081045

spare engine
block-361959
heads-781

I haven't dug into either engine yet, so I don't know what I have...all I know is that the spare works....I pulled it from a drag boat I bought, so it may have some goodies in it.... I didn't want to take it apart with no reason for doing so as it would probably not be put back together and I'd have parts all over the shop...(tell me I'm wrong).....been there done it.

Now I just have to put up with the GF complaining that I spend too much time in the shop and that I love the car more then her....

Yes, somethings never change....
-TKO 5 speed, 3:73 posi 12 Bolt
-Hooker ceramic headers into 2.5" SS magna flow
-750 Holley/vac using "white" spring
-Comp Cam D:IN-296 EX-302 Lift:IN-566 EX-566
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Comp Cams Roller Timing set
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Edelbrock Torker Intake- port matched
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 11th, 13, 7:14 PM
Team Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
I have the valve covers off now and see no obvious broken parts. With the engine running, I think this would stand out more when looking at them....but who knows...

To tell you guys the truth, I have another engine. I am hoping for a quick fix, but worse case, I'll swap them out and enjoy the season, and start a rebuild on this one. I'll find and post the casting no's...

Current engine in the car is:
block-1401544 seems to be another number at the end that looks like a 6, but not sure...
heads-14081045

spare engine
block-361959
heads-781

I haven't dug into either engine yet, so I don't know what I have...all I know is that the spare works....I pulled it from a drag boat I bought, so it may have some goodies in it.... I didn't want to take it apart with no reason for doing so as it would probably not be put back together and I'd have parts all over the shop...(tell me I'm wrong).....been there done it.

Now I just have to put up with the GF complaining that I spend too much time in the shop and that I love the car more then her....

Yes, somethings never change....
Food for thought: Lots of big block boat engines are cammed for reverse crank rotation. Check to make sure she spins in the right direction.

Son, that there pedal on the right, that's
the loud pedal. You stand on that, and
the Rat's gonna Roar.
Old Mar 12th, 13, 8:58 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
Food for thought: Lots of big block boat engines are cammed for reverse crank rotation. Check to make sure she spins in the right direction.

Hummmm driving in reverse, that'd be a PIA or more a pain in the neck...?

No worries, she's a standard rotation... Usually the reverse engines come out of a boat with 2 engins side by side. One screw turns one way, the other opposite in order for the boat to drive in a stirght line and not in a big circle.

thanks tho...
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Old Mar 12th, 13, 4:43 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Just saw this add and it's local. If I do have a head/valve issue I'm wondering if this would be a wise option... (for $800)

New never used BBC oval port heads with valves from Procomp.
Part number on them is PC3021-396

I've heard procomp heads arn't the best...but the price is right, even for a season or two...

whatca guys think?
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Old Mar 12th, 13, 7:25 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Please, tear that thing down, the suspense is killing me !

My bet is valves
Old Mar 12th, 13, 7:41 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW68SSBBC View Post
Please, tear that thing down, the suspense is killing me !

My bet is valves
LOL! Sorry man. I'm trying not to tear it down, I took a good hit buying this car, I'm now into it for over 30k..................save it, I hear it enough from the girl friend. Now I have to explain that the engine isn't quite working good enough...etc etc...

What I would like to do is simply change out the top end, and have a nice "normal" amount of power that I can live with for a weekend/nice day driver.

I have a Voodoo cam and lifters on order. The more I think about it, the more I want to change out the heads. I have a brand new 750 holly double pumper vac and another mech one I can use. Edelbrock alum intake. I'd love to run a set of aluminum heads also, for weight and flow... I think it's a good bang for the buck.

Looking and searching sounds like a set of AFR 305's would work good for this car.

summit price is $2300 and change. This motor should be good for 400+ with this combo, and would be ideal for street use.

tell me I'm wrong and that i can be happy for a lot less and spend a lot more time out of the shop....

ah, gotta love the projects...
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Old Mar 12th, 13, 9:08 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
LOL! Sorry man. I'm trying not to tear it down, I took a good hit buying this car, I'm now into it for over 30k..................save it, I hear it enough from the girl friend. Now I have to explain that the engine isn't quite working good enough...etc etc...

What I would like to do is simply change out the top end, and have a nice "normal" amount of power that I can live with for a weekend/nice day driver.

I have a Voodoo cam and lifters on order. The more I think about it, the more I want to change out the heads. I have a brand new 750 holly double pumper vac and another mech one I can use. Edelbrock alum intake. I'd love to run a set of aluminum heads also, for weight and flow... I think it's a good bang for the buck.

Looking and searching sounds like a set of AFR 305's would work good for this car.

summit price is $2300 and change. This motor should be good for 400+ with this combo, and would be ideal for street use.

tell me I'm wrong and that i can be happy for a lot less and spend a lot more time out of the shop....

ah, gotta love the projects...
Well it's your money, you say you don't want to tear it down, but you have a cam and lifters ordered How they gonna get in there ? You say your into it for over 30K, but then are looking at dumping another $2300 for heads. Only you can decide what is a "nice normal amount of power", but why dump money at a project when you don't even know whats wrong with it.

I'd think if you fix whats wrong first, you'd end up spending less money and have it on the road sooner. Then figure out your upgrades, tell her they are for better fuel mileage
Good luck, keep us posted.
Old Mar 12th, 13, 9:59 PM
Team Member
Randy

Quote:
Well it's your money, you say you don't want to tear it down, but you have a cam and lifters ordered How they gonna get in there ? You say your into it for over 30K, but then are looking at dumping another $2300 for heads. Only you can decide what is a "nice normal amount of power", but why dump money at a project when you don't even know whats wrong with it.

I'd think if you fix whats wrong first, you'd end up spending less money and have it on the road sooner. Then figure out your upgrades, tell her they are for better fuel mileage
^^^^^I agree. It's almost certain your problem is cam or heads. You've already covered the cam part with the VooDoo purchase. Why not yank the heads and get 'em fixed, a lot less money than buying new heads. JMHO.

the Rat's gonna Roar.
Old Mar 13th, 13, 7:19 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Quote:
^^^^^I agree. It's almost certain your problem is cam or heads. You've already covered the cam part with the VooDoo purchase. Why not yank the heads and get 'em fixed, a lot less money than buying new heads. JMHO.
And that's what I have you guys for. I can only listen to her for so long, but when I hear other people telling me to relax, (that know what they are talking about) then something clicks. I tend to get ahead of my self sometimes. Yes, I still plan on finding out whats wrong first rather then throwing money at an unknown problem. I agree that makes sense.All I was thinking while flopping around in bed and not sleeping for a few nights was.....I bought the cam because it's only $250 and I know what I have. Getting a nice set of heads will out perform the stock ones and should be problem free for a long period of time. Also, I'd rather invest cash into new heads rather then into the old ones that are lower performing. I want to stay away from getting into the block/pistons etc... top end I can deal with, lower end.....is going to cost a lot more cash.

Plan A is still the one to go with at the moment. Take the bitch apart and see what's wrong, after a leak down test. Tester should be in today. Cam should be in later this week. Engine will be apart this weekend.

Thanks guys, don't give up on me yet.....
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Old Mar 13th, 13, 8:43 PM
Tech Team
Ken

FU&* me!

When it rains it pours I guess. I missed the shop today and didn't get my tester. With a "free" night in the shop with no one to bug me, I thought I could get something done. Well, I fired up the stove and grabbed a few beers and headed out anyway. I figured I'd pull the spare engine out and start preparing it for a swap if need be. I hauled the valve covers off, pulled the intake and started inspecting....I put a ratchet on the front of the crank and inspected the cam and lifters all working until................................yep, you guessed it. #1 intake lobe is down to a near lump compared to the rest. I simply cannot believe my luck.
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Old Mar 13th, 13, 10:19 PM
Tech Team
Ken

After seeing the lobe gone in the spare engine I came across this add............. feel free to pick it apart/thoughts/comments...

500+hp/550+ft/lbs torque

$4500 Outright!

460 ci after overbore 4.29 bore
Mid 70s Mark IV BBC block, 2 bolt mains
TRW Forged Pistons 9.2:1 compression
Ported early Closed Chamber, large oval port heads 98cc chambers
Stainless Steel one piece 2.19/1.88 valves with performance 3 angle valve job
Isky Hydralic cam 280Mega , 232@50 duation, .565 lift, 109 LCA and matching valvetrain with double springs, Chrome Moly retainers, machined locks, 3/8 moly pushrods, and Stainless Steel full roller rockers
Melling High Volume/ High Pressure Oil pump
High Capacity 7qrt Oil pan
Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain
Clevitte performance bearings
Felpro performance gaskets
Victor Jr Oval port Intake manifold
Cast Aluminum Cal Custom style Valve Covers
Precision ground stock cast crankshaft secured by high strength main bolts
Precision reconditioned heavy duty truck connecting rods with high strength rod bolts
Specially built for high RPM usage
Runs best with an aftermarket high performance intake, 1 7/8" long tube headers, 850cfm or larger carburetor - 6500 RPM redlinemy spare engine...I'd be hard pressed to rebuild for this price for a new one... check it out.
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced

Last edited by Boilermaker128; Mar 13th, 13 at 10:38 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 13, 10:45 PM
Levon

Or have a look here:
http://www.vortecproperformance.com/...binations.html

or

http://www.lewisracingengines.com/

There are others on this site as well.
You are creating too many options for yourself.
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed (Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
Old Mar 14th, 13, 12:16 AM
Team Member
Randy

Quote:
After seeing the lobe gone in the spare engine I came across this add............. feel free to pick it apart/thoughts/comments...

500+hp/550+ft/lbs torque

$4500 Outright!

460 ci after overbore 4.29 bore
Mid 70s Mark IV BBC block, 2 bolt mains
TRW Forged Pistons 9.2:1 compression
Ported early Closed Chamber, large oval port heads 98cc chambers
Stainless Steel one piece 2.19/1.88 valves with performance 3 angle valve job
Isky Hydralic cam 280Mega , 232@50 duation, .565 lift, 109 LCA and matching valvetrain with double springs, Chrome Moly retainers, machined locks, 3/8 moly pushrods, and Stainless Steel full roller rockers
Melling High Volume/ High Pressure Oil pump
High Capacity 7qrt Oil pan
Cloyes Double Roller Timing Chain
Clevitte performance bearings
Felpro performance gaskets
Victor Jr Oval port Intake manifold
Cast Aluminum Cal Custom style Valve Covers
Precision ground stock cast crankshaft secured by high strength main bolts
Precision reconditioned heavy duty truck connecting rods with high strength rod bolts
Specially built for high RPM usage
Runs best with an aftermarket high performance intake, 1 7/8" long tube headers, 850cfm or larger carburetor - 6500 RPM redlinemy spare engine...I'd be hard pressed to rebuild for this price for a new one... check it out.
It's your money (which you said you're trying to save). Assuming your existing heads have issues, they can most likely be fixed for less than $500...or stuff the new cam in the spare engine....or swap heads from the spare to your existing engine. Good luck with whichever choice you make.

the Rat's gonna Roar.
Old Mar 14th, 13, 7:22 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Or have a look here:
http://www.vortecproperformance.com/...binations.html

or

http://www.lewisracingengines.com/

There are others on this site as well.
You are creating too many options for yourself.
Thanks for the links. And yes....you are 100% correct, as usual, I am creating a monster. Good thing she loves me, because I drive her nuts too
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Old Mar 14th, 13, 7:27 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
It's your money (which you said you're trying to save). Assuming your existing heads have issues, they can most likely be fixed for less than $500...or stuff the new cam in the spare engine....or swap heads from the spare to your existing engine. Good luck with whichever choice you make.

I have been thinking about all of the above. I have tomorrow off, and the weekend to start into this mess.

I just like having options....
-Timing 20*/38*
-Hydraulic Roller's
-Crane Roller Rockers
-Blueprinted & Balanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: 454 not running right, need help
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.