Urethane window setting kit with foam dam? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Feb 12th, 13, 4:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Default Urethane window setting kit with foam dam?

I remember someone posting a link where you can buy a kit to install a window yourself, but can't find it.

This kit had a foam dam to provide a clean, ooze free installation. If not a kit, can I buy the dam online without having to buy 12 rolls of it? Any help will be appreciated.

I don't trust the local glass installers to work on my car, so I'm going to attempt the rear window install myself. Also, is there a slow setting urethane?
Built 12 bolt 4:11

Pics
Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 14th, 13, 5:52 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Default Re: Urethane window setting kit with foam dam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick71ss View Post
I remember someone posting a link where you can buy a kit to install a window yourself, but can't find it.

This kit had a foam dam to provide a clean, ooze free installation. If not a kit, can I buy the dam online without having to buy 12 rolls of it? Any help will be appreciated.

I don't trust the local glass installers to work on my car, so I'm going to attempt the rear window install myself. Also, is there a slow setting urethane?
X2..... Looking for the same thing.
Old Feb 14th, 13, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Forget the dam (made by a company named Marcy). In general, the pinchweld isn't really wide enough for dam and urethane. A good high viscosity urethane will hold up the glass and reduce the squeeze out into your view. Sika Move It is excellent in both these qualities.

You also need primers as each manufacturer requires for their product. With glass primer you can also "hide" the bead of urethane. Its a look similar to new cars and their silk screen on the glass that hides the end of the headliner and interior garnish mouldings.

PM me, Phil, and I'll discuss where you could buy some Sika materials. And I know a auto glass technician with 19 years experience who could help you....

Steve O.
Old Feb 14th, 13, 11:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Did Jeff get lucky with this dam or is it a different one than you've used Steve? http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7255.0 One thing I've seen guys do with the glass primer you mention is apply too much, which shows far beyond the moldings.
Old Feb 15th, 13, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Thanks Steve and Scott. I got a hold of Jeff through email and he said he will sell a "kit" with dam and all. On the other hand, if Steve knows a good glass tech who will come to me, I might just have him do the work so I don't mess it up. I was just leary of having a young kid who doesn't have experience on the older cars do it.

Pics
Video
Old Feb 15th, 13, 2:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Have seen/joined the other thread on urethane v. butyl, and would be willing to do the urethane if I can find someplace in So California that sells the dam or installs using it. Anyone know of such a shop? Last 2 urethane jobs were "restoration quality" and the urethane looks worse than the butyl tape.
Old Feb 15th, 13, 10:14 PM
Tech Team
Tim

I did my quarter windows with urethane and to me if you can lay a consistent bead similar to butyl it should come out okay. The only thing I worry about is can I get the window depth correct before it starts setting up (stuff doesn't give much). Urethane doesn't seem very pliable so if the depth isn't right I would image it would be hard to push the glass down to set the trim. This is my main concern not so much that it will show through the finished product. I will be setting my back glass soon so I guess I will be the inexperienced guinea pig without a dam.
Old Feb 24th, 13, 11:10 AM
Tech Team
steve

Phil, how much was the "dam kit"
Old Feb 24th, 13, 12:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

I didn't buy the kit so I don't know the price. I can PM you his number if you want.

Steve has offered to install the glass for me so I'm not going to do it myself.

Pics
Video
Old Mar 25th, 13, 3:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Just want to thank Steve (Motorvation) for stopping by today and installing my rear window. Great guy and he did a great job with the installation!

Also pleased with the glass I got from AMD. They told me they have their own tooling compared to others. Not sure if that's true or not, but it fits good, is the same thickness as the original, and I haven't noticed any obvious tempering marks or clouds yet. The tint looks spot on too.

Sorry, it's snowing outside so can't post a good pic. This is the best I can do for now..

Pics
Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Urethane window setting kit with foam dam?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.