Edlebrock Supercharged 416 Crate Engine - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jan 30th, 13, 3:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Default Edlebrock Supercharged 416 Crate Engine

http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/E...ine-46730.html

This looks like a pretty good deal. Assembled by a top engine builder, Shaver Racing Engines.
'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh.../22377/cat/604
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 13, 4:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Default Re: Edlebrock Supercharged 416 Crate Engine

$18,000.
Old Jan 30th, 13, 5:03 PM
Team Member
Nate

Wow$$$$$$$$$$$
Old Jan 30th, 13, 5:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Royce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/E...ine-46730.html

This looks pretty expensive. Assembled by a top engine builder, Shaver Racing Engines.

Fixed it for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSLsGgDjFXE
Old Jan 30th, 13, 5:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Might be a good deal. Does it come with a bridge or beachfront property in Arizona?

If so, im buyin'
Old Jan 30th, 13, 6:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Just a ZR1 Crate Engine without the hardware to make it all work cost that.

My younger brother just sent his Cadillac CTS-V Station Wagon off to Lingenfelter, (sp) to get the 715 HP upgrade done. It's about $12,000, and there is already an engine there.

Having fun cost, having a lot of fun cost more.
'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh.../22377/cat/604
Old Jan 31st, 13, 12:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I for one don't think that it's such a bad deal for a supercharged fuel injected engine that's been engineered as a package. That's 75 HP over and above the power level of the ZR-1 Vette engine, and although you could easily build a 900 HP BBC carbureted engine for that price, it wouldn't be as versatile. Not by a long shot. In fact the 900 HP BBC engine couldn't be used in a daily driver if so desired unless ofcourse your yearly salary is similar to Jay Leno's. With these superchargers and modern fuel injection, that engine in a 3500-4000 LB car would easily get 18 MPG. Try and do that with a carbureted 900 HP BBC engine. In fact you wouldn't even be able to do that with a naturally aspirated carbureted 700 HP BBC engine.

The supercharger kit alone that's included with this engine sells for $6K and that's usually a discounted price. I've seen them for as high as $7K. That BTW is the same TVS 2300 supercharger that the ZR-1 Vette comes with. But it must come with a different sized pulley on this set-up to put out some greater boost and power than the Vette does.

Last edited by BillyGman; Jan 31st, 13 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jan 31st, 13, 2:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

$18,000 is a bunch o money. If I want mileage I will buy an economy car. You can get the whole car for that much. If you are into LS's and economy a Camaro and a little nitrous is cheaper.
Old Jan 31st, 13, 2:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

i wouldn't pay 12 g's for a caddy wagon let alone to upgrade one. in a word... EEEEW.
Old Jan 31st, 13, 2:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I know what it's like to have street/strip cars that get less than 10 MPG, and although they're quick and fun to drive on the street, I can only afford to enjoy that fun once a week because of the high cost of gasoline. But with a street/strip car that is both powerful, and gets 18 MPG, I can afford to drive it every single day of the week, and that translates to more fun on the street than one that I can only afford to drive once per week.

And running nitrous on the street means that I have to drive out of my way a couple days out of the week just to fill the bottles instead of having the extra power at my command like you do with a supercharger.

To each his own. I have both, and both are pretty cool to own.
Old Jan 31st, 13, 4:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
I for one don't think that it's such a bad deal for a supercharged fuel injected engine that's been engineered as a package. That's 75 HP over and above the power level of the ZR-1 Vette engine, and although you could easily build a 900 HP BBC carbureted engine for that price, it wouldn't be as versatile. Not by a long shot. In fact the 900 HP BBC engine couldn't be used in a daily driver if so desired unless ofcourse your yearly salary is similar to Jay Leno's. With these superchargers and modern fuel injection, that engine in a 3500-4000 LB car would easily get 18 MPG. Try and do that with a carbureted 900 HP BBC engine. In fact you wouldn't even be able to do that with a naturally aspirated carbureted 700 HP BBC engine.

The supercharger kit alone that's included with this engine sells for $6K and that's usually a discounted price. I've seen them for as high as $7K. That BTW is the same TVS 2300 supercharger that the ZR-1 Vette comes with. But it must come with a different sized pulley on this set-up to put out some greater boost and power than the Vette does.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
I know what it's like to have street/strip cars that get less than 10 MPG, and although they're quick and fun to drive on the street, I can only afford to enjoy that fun once a week because of the high cost of gasoline. But with a street/strip car that is both powerful, and gets 18 MPG, I can afford to drive it every single day of the week, and that translates to more fun on the street than one that I can only afford to drive once per week.

And running nitrous on the street means that I have to drive out of my way a couple days out of the week just to fill the bottles instead of having the extra power at my command like you do with a supercharger.

To each his own. I have both, and both are pretty cool to own.
And agreed.

Nothing like having 700 completely streetable, reliable and tame horsepower...but it costs lots of $$$ to have all those qualities in the same package.

I love the crazy horsepower my car has but if I could do it again, I would def go a different route. I want my street car back.
3725lbs
Video of 9.27
Burnout video
9.04 pass
Old Jan 31st, 13, 5:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

With all the ls engines out there and all the turbo info out there why on earth couldnt you build the same amount of power for far, far, far, far less?

like half that.

I guess thats whats not clicking for me.

Im going EFI on my 496. Im not going to spend that much. I am shooting for 650+ ponies and have seen guys with bigger engines and more power pulling down 16 mpgs, smooth, streetable, able to make long runs and short runs.

now as for guys running a 632ci mill on the street. Pretty wicked but thats just insane CI for anything "street" and an engine of that size, to me personally, just doesnt make any sense for anything but a dedicated 1/4 car. Eh, hence the varying definition of "streetable" to everyone I suppose.

This engine is filling a high price void that I dont know even exists at all given all the LS / turbo recipies out there. Hell, even a blowthrough turbo small block no?
Old Jan 31st, 13, 9:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Royce

I guess it's all in what you want. Also depends on what car it's going in. For an old car no way I would spend that much on it as Beaux stated, you can do it for a lot cheaper. Now if you need it for some computer controlled smog vehicle, then your options become more limited and I can see where this package would be inviting.

I just don't see the draw for anyone that has a little talent, tools, and an old car. To each their own, that's what makes the hobby so much fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSLsGgDjFXE
Old Feb 1st, 13, 1:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

This is a pretty interesting discussion. I can;t say much about turbochargers, because I've never used them. But as for superchargers, anyone can buy a cheap one, as well as a junkyard LS engine, and slap them together. But is such a combo going to miraculously have the right fuel ratio and ignition curves? Will it idle decent, or will it sit at a traffic light with a mega idle surge that sometimes even causes the engine to cut out in traffic situations? What about how it will run in the cold weather on the way to work?

You don't get something for nothing. These small underhood Eaton/magnuson superchargers make great power, and efficient power with very little heat build-up as compared to the typical old school Weaind or BDS blowers. They have an internal bypass valve which prevents any boost pressures with less than half throttle inputs, and yet they're more efficient in their power delivery at full throttle because of the 60 degree helical twist of their internal 4 lobe rotors. They allow the end-user to have the best of both worlds, (reliability and gas economy for daily drivers, along with great performance).

And these superchargers aren't cheap either. But there's good reason why Jaguar, Mercedes, Aston martin, Ford, and Chevy have all chosen the Eaton superchargers for certain models of their production cars. IMO for a daily driven supercharged vehicle, you cannot beat these pieces. And everyone knows that brand new LS engines aren't cheap either. So when you have a new LS engine coupled with one of these expensive but great performing superchargers, it isn't going to be a cheap price tag. But IMO it's worth it for a true daily driver if you want some respectable power that you can actually drive around with 300+ days out of the year.
Old Feb 1st, 13, 2:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I've got a little experience here. I have Edelbrocks E-Force on my 2009 Silverado. Truck has close to 85K on it. The E-Force has been on for almost 20K. With the factory tune, itís extremely drive able, good economy (when I'm not standing on the throttle) and zero maintenance. The sealed Eaton system needs service every 100K. Edelbrocks crate engine program has been universally successful. Good power and dependable. Put the two together and you've got a hell of a combo. I know there are plenty of folks who are more in tune with newer technology and those who enjoy the purist nature of older generation engines. Mine currently lays down right at 390 rwhp. I have Kooks headers, y pipe and their new green cats on the way. I'm hoping to write a tune that will push it into the 415-425 range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9c.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	60587  
TC Member #96
16 Year Team Chevelle Member
1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno
1967 El Camino 408ci LSx...yup, she's going turbo!...and the build begins!
"Hey Butthead, does this Pantera guy ever relax?" - Beavis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Edlebrock Supercharged 416 Crate Engine
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.