Roof Skin Install? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Nov 21st, 12, 8:40 AM
Tech Team
Levi

Default Roof Skin Install?

You will have to forgive me amateur searching skills... I seem to remember a while back someone had a nice how to article with detailed pictures of a roof skin replacement on a 68-72 Chevelle, but I cant manage to find it again. My roof skin is due in next week, and i am hoping to dig right in. I assume it will be pretty straight forward once the new panel is in front of me, but i would like to have a good idea what i am getting in to. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 21st, 12, 9:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Birdwell Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Birdwell
Default Re: Roof Skin Install?

No pics, but I can tell you what to look for.
A. Melt all the lead out of the front and rear roof seams with a propane torch. This will exspose all the welds you need to drill and cut.
B. Dig all the old seam sealer out of the drip rails. There's a ton of spot welds along here. Be careful cutting them, as It's easy to go through the bottom of the drip rail. I use a cutoff wheel and grind the weld off.
C. Drill all the spot welds out from the front and rear window openings.
D. Seperate the roof from the shell of the car.
E. The sides of the roof panel is usually about 1/8 too wide on the lip where it goes along the drip rail. Compare the new panel to the old and trim as required.
F. When you put the roof on, put the front on first, then work the sides into the drip rails, you'll need a couple guys and some flat screwdrivers to work it in place.
G. To make sure you have the roof panel far enough to the rear, hold your rear window trim up to the roof/ quarter and see how it fits.
H. Remove the panel, grind the weld areas clean of ecoat and galvanizing, punch or drill your holes to plugweld, and grind the shell areas clean where you're going to weld.
I. I prefer to glue the sides, and weld the front and back. It's hard to mig weld the sides.
J. If you're putting on quarters, don't weld the roof to the old ones.

I'll see if I have any pics I can post..
06 Equinox

Wanted-1976 Nova SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 21st, 12, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I install roof skins alone and have a setup that hangs the skin over the car. I glue the sides, front and rear and just weld the sails and A-pillars. Adhesive will not fail on the front and rear but some are uncomfortable with it and spot weld. If you don't have a unispotter, the weld on molding studs can still be used instead of the screw in type. A box of 500 is less than $20. Just drill a hole, insert the stud and tack the rear. The whole job is a cake walk. Even the screw in type should have the backs tacked.
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 10:21 PM
Team Member
Rob

why are you replacing? due to common rust or something fell on it?. if rusty than you will have to take car of that,if supports damged then prefit to fit the pre accident damage,i do mine a little different than others.in short i cut it off.trial fit,i glue it all and them weld bond the roof on on with my spot welder,that way it is corrosion protected and welded like the factory.dont forget the roof braces,guys use seam sealer there,i use flex foam.most dont have a spot welder so then glue the sides weld thru the front and rear,i use copper weld.when drilling the spot welds on removal there is no reason to go all the way through the under panel.removing the panel from the roof braces is just a matter of a small torch to heat to release.
Old Nov 22nd, 12, 10:51 PM
Levon

I did mine.

With some help from others here, here is that thread:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233617

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show....php?t=3044377
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed (Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
Old Nov 27th, 12, 1:20 PM
Tech Team
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle hunter View Post
why are you replacing? due to common rust or something fell on it?. if rusty than you will have to take car of that,if supports damged then prefit to fit the pre accident damage,i do mine a little different than others.in short i cut it off.trial fit,i glue it all and them weld bond the roof on on with my spot welder,that way it is corrosion protected and welded like the factory.dont forget the roof braces,guys use seam sealer there,i use flex foam.most dont have a spot welder so then glue the sides weld thru the front and rear,i use copper weld.when drilling the spot welds on removal there is no reason to go all the way through the under panel.removing the panel from the roof braces is just a matter of a small torch to heat to release.
The roof is being replaced due to some very shoddy work from a previous owner. Near as i can tell the roof had some rust spots in it and they tried to just patch them in and cover up with body filler, it also has a bunch of pin holes of rust in it.

I expect to get my skin on a truck tomorrow, where do i find the trim studs? Thanks again guys.
Old Nov 27th, 12, 6:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Lets hope Scott (Raven1) has some of those trim studs 500 in a box left over for us to purchase? I need for front and rear trim. Aren't they stainless steel?
Old Nov 29th, 12, 3:19 PM
Ronald

Maybe I can get in on that stud deal too. I have a new skin for my 69 Elky sitting in a box in my garage. It also is in need of some studs. I'll be putting it on my car as soon as the weather warms up and I blast and paint the underlaying structure.

Ron
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Roof Skin Install?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.