Alternator doesn't fit bracket? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Oct 7th, 12, 5:14 PM
Team Member
Steve

Default Alternator doesn't fit bracket?

I'm replacing the manifold (2 barrel to 4 barrel) and water pump. I also had to replace the alternator (long story involving a rusted alternator mount bolt).

Per the picture, the new alternator doesn't fit to the rear of the alternator bracket. I don't have the old alternator to compare (gave it up for core) but from what I remember, it seemed the same.

Is there a different alternator with the bracket point further back? Or have I simply done something wrong?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	57214
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 12, 5:30 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Default Re: Alternator doesn't fit bracket?

There is a spacer that goes between water pump and alt brackt that move the bracket towards the front of the engine.

Bob
Old Oct 7th, 12, 5:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

looks like a water pump/bracket mismatch. they changed the water pumps in 75 or so, and also changed the alternator and PS pump brackets at that time, too.

-Hank Hill
Old Oct 7th, 12, 6:03 PM
Team Member
Steve

Bob: I'm not sure how a spacer would fit. The two mounting holes in the bracket line up with the bolt on the thermostat housing and the hole on the top of the water pump. The spacer fits fine on the bottom (long) bolt. Everything lines up to the engine, it is just that the alternator doesn't line up with the bracket.

Derrick: I don't think I have a mismatch, at least not with either the bracket or the water pump, I've compared them both to the stock pieces.

BTW, I don't know why this isn't showing at the bottom of my posts, but the car is a 72 Chevelle with a 350
Old Oct 7th, 12, 6:43 PM
Team Member
George

I believe u can have the front of the alternator indexed or rotated so it reaches the bracket
Old Oct 7th, 12, 6:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

you need a different top bracket.
there were several different ones that bolted to either the intake bolts, or therm housing, or intake boss...
search photos of sbc with long wp for different styles of alt-brackets and you will see the style you need
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...erinstall4.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...-11-200715.jpg
Old Oct 7th, 12, 6:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
you need a different top bracket.
there were several different ones that bolted to either the intake bolts, or therm housing, or intake boss...
search photos of sbc with long wp for different styles of alt-brackets and you will see the style you need

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club #01
Old Oct 7th, 12, 7:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Since you have a 69 bracket, why not see if a 69 style alternator will fit? You could go from there with your current alternator, since it appears to be a later model unit.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

Liberalism is the belief that "Evil Deserves a Fair Chance".
Old Oct 7th, 12, 8:05 PM
Team Member
Steve

I am not only confused but starting to think I am learning that claims that aftermarket parts 'will fit your car' are, at best, to be taken with a grain of salt.

The alternator mounting point on the 'will fit 72 small block' Edelbrock aftermarket water pump is a good 1/2 inch further to the rear than the mounting point on the stock water pump. Perhaps this is why they included a 1/2 inch spacer (but not the needed longer bolt). In theory, the spacer should make things right by moving the mounting point 1/2 inch forward.

Except for the fact that using the spacer means the alternator bracket (which is a 69 only if the bracket on my 72 was also a 69 bracket) will no longer line up with the thermostat housing on the new 'will fit 72 small block' intake manifold (also by Edelbrock), it is now off by, wait for it, 1/2 inch, the length of the spacer. It seems that the thermostat housing on the new manifold is a good 1/2 inch or so further to the back than thermostat housing on the stock intake manifold. I guess 'fit' is a loose term.

If I don't use the spacer, the alternator bracket fits the water pump and manifold but not the alternator. If I use the spacer the bracket will fit the water pump and the alternator bracket but not the intake manifold.

In theory, I can open up the thermostat mounting hole on the bracket and just wedge the bracket under the bolt... but that seems not only too odd but not that sturdy and reliable.

So my choices seem to be

Jury-rig the alternator bracket to the new manifold. For the reasons above, I would prefer to not do that.

Scrap the brand new manifold (throwing away another $160) and get one that actually DOES fit a 72 small block, with 'fit' being defined as not only fit to the head but to the brackets as well. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Some kind soul provides me a link to one of the special brackets that will make everything right. I didn't see any references to other 72 alternator mounting brackets when I searched the archives. I did find some references to Edelbrock EPS manifolds not being an exact fit. Terrific. Should I not be surprised that the Edelbrock technical helpline didn't mention this when I called for advice?

Or ??
Old Oct 7th, 12, 8:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I bet you can find a top bracket that will fit the intake, the water pump (maybe with a spacer) and the alternator.
There are several variations of the top bracket.

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club #01
Old Oct 7th, 12, 8:32 PM
Team Member
Dino

If have a long water pump and are not concerned with originality you could go for something like this.I have it on my 70 350 El Camino and it fits great and it makes it easy to adjust the belt.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MC...0-06/?rtype=10
Old Oct 7th, 12, 9:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

most aftermarket intake I found to use the early upper alternator bracket. Dont know why they dont tell you this. I think the leg that goes to the waterneck is actually longer on the earlier brackets. jim
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt
Old Oct 7th, 12, 9:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

go to the summit sight and look up the transdapt alt brackets. part numbers
9316 and 9317, theres a year break at 1975 and the back mounting leg is different. jim
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt
Old Oct 7th, 12, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

either put the included spacer in and use the existing upper bracket, or hit a junkyard and get a different upper bracket.

personally, i'd get the later upper bracket because it would be a cleaner install.

this is the bracket you need. it was from an 87 Caprice, but anything from the late 70's and 80's with a non HD alternator will be the same:

how does your PS pump bracket fit? i bet there's about a 1/8" gap in the bracket now and your stock long bolt won't go thru the hole because it's tapped.

-Hank Hill

Last edited by novaderrik; Oct 8th, 12 at 12:03 AM.
Old Oct 7th, 12, 10:11 PM
Team Member
Steve

The PS bracket fits ok, with no gap. I did have to drill out the tapped hole.

Was there a picture or part number of the bracket, it didn't show?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: Alternator doesn't fit bracket?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.