Team Chevelle banner

Issues removing '68 turn signal switch

15K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  VinceS427bb 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is a better fit in the electrical section or not. I'm in the process of removing the turn signal switch on my '68 El Camino due to a portion of the plastic breaking off. I've been using Jim Shea's steering papers which are a tremendous help.

I've got everything removed and ready to pull the harness thru the column. I've removed the individual wires from the semi-circular connector at the base of the column. As I attempt to pull the harness thru the column the ends of the wires seem too big to pass through the wiring cover. According to the steering papers (if I'm following along correctly) the wires should be able to pull through the wiring cover with the semi-circular connector removed.

Do I need to loosen the column bracket and remove the wiring cover? Any help is appreciated.

Also, while I've got everything apart I'd like to remove the shifter bowl to clean up and paint. Anything holding this on?

#2 ·
It has been a while and I hope I remember this correctly:
Not sure how the '68 works, but I had to remove the housing that holds the turn signal assembly in my '66. Three screws hold it on, then it rotates out of some slots and then it can be removed. Then the wiring assembly could be pulled through the column.

I removed the shifter by knocking out the pin which holds the shift lever in the shift collar. The collar could then be removed.

#3 ·
Yes, lower the column and remove the wiring cover, the plastic connector will fit thru then. To remove the bowl, you should have already loosened the three screws and rotated the switch mounting cup about 1/4 turn and removed it from the column along with the attached parts, make sure you either take a pic or lay them out in the order they come apart.. If you have a column shifter, knock out the pin holding the shifter handle in and pull the handle out, there will be a small spring to watch for too after the shifter handle comes out. Look Jim Shea's column pics to see what I mean about the spring for the shifter handle. good luck and come back here if you get stumped.

#4 ·
EDIT: Dang, Leo, you're typin' quicker since you retired. :D

Steve has it sorta right.:) You loosen, don't remove, the 3 screws until you can rotate the turn signal switch cover, then pull the cover and drag the wires out. Spray a little silicone down the mast jacket to help lube the wires. Here's a pic from the manual-

It's not a big deal to pop off the wiring cover, IIRC you can drop the column down about 2~3 inches and pry it out with a screwdriver.
BillL

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I was thinking I'd have to remove the cover judging by how tight of a fit the wires slide back and forth through the column. I was reading the instructions as if the wires would pass through by simply removing the quarter moon connector.

I'll give it a go one evening this week.

By the way: Is the column shift spring available locally (parts stores)? Mine has been broken and the shifter is sloppy. With all of the guts removed from my column I can see the broken spring now.

#6 ·
Because of your comments above, I am completely rewriting the 1967-68 Chevrolet standard (non-adjustable) steering column Disassembly & Repair Paper. This one will be quite a bit more orderly and will include your observations on pulling the turn signal switch wires up through the steering column. If you don't mind I would like to have you critique the new paper when I finish it in a day or two.

Jim

#8 ·
I worked as an engineer at Saginaw Steering Gear Division, General Motors Corporation from 1961 through 1989. Then GM spun off their accessory divisions as Delphi Automotive. I stuck around at Saginaw for another two years and retired in 2001 as a Delphi retiree (not General Motors.) Then the bankruptsy of both GM and Delphi and my pension now became part of the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation. I was very fortunate in that I was already 65 when the PBGC started sending me checks. I did not lose any actual money per month (unlike younger salary retirees that lost between 30% and 70% of what they had been promised.)

Anyway, I had a lot of experience with steering systems (pumps, manual gears, power integral gears, power rack & pinion gears, power steering pressure and return line hoses, intermediate steering shafts, and standard as well as tilt steering columns) because Saginaw manufactured them for nearly 100% of GM cars and trucks. So even though I didn't directly work on 1967 and 1968 first generation, energy absorbing steering columns, I was able to pick up a lot of information by osmosis in the engineering department. Also, I still have access to a limited amount of 45 year old engineering information. I am still pretty good at reading blue prints. I also have a 1968 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual which attempts to describe the disassembly and repair of the steering column as well as other components.

So you will have to excuse me for missing the fact that the curved turn signal wiring connector wouldn't pass between the mounting bracket and the steering column. I remembered the wiring routing, but not the amount of clearance for the connector. Anyway, I could have done a lot better on the original paper so I am at it again.

BTW, I promised to work on a 67-68 tilt column disassembly and repair paper as well. That comes next.

Jim

#9 ·
By the way: Is the column shift spring available locally (parts stores)? Mine has been broken and the shifter is sloppy. With all of the guts removed from my column I can see the broken spring now.
Take what is left of your spring to a good auto parts or hardware store and go through their spring selection. You should find one just like you need, or one a little longer that can be cut. This is not a critical part and a reasonably close replacement should work well. If the choice is between a slightly weaker or slightly stronger spring, I would go with the stronger one.

#13 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of dropping steering columns down, one thing that I've seen happen fairly often is that the "PRNDL" indicator cable doesn't get disconnected from the column first and the cable(string) gets broken in the process.

Great catch by Dean. On my'66 with column shift, I didn't remove the screw which holds the solid wire indicator to the shift collar when I dropped the column. Couldn't figure out why the column wouldn't drop like it should. After I had totally distorted the indicator, the column came free. After a lot of careful bending back into shape and painting with Testors model paint, I got it put back in place when I finished the column.

#14 ·
Looking to find a good replacement turn signal switch. I've read that there were two suppliers for this variety of column; one being Delco.

I assume mine is a Delco as the wiring connector says "Delco" on it. Unless the switch itself still could've been manufactured by someone else.

Just going by the picture on Ground Up's site, their's looks to be shaped differently unless they use the same pic as representation of all products.

Where might I find one?

#15 ·
Another observation: when googling "68 chevelle turn signal switch" a lot of the images show a switch with 2 harnesses. One is very short with the semi-circular connector on one end.

Mine consists one harness from the switch to the semi-circular connector. Is the difference I'm seeing the same scenario I mentioned above where there were two suppliers of these switches?

#16 ·
Hey guys,
I am about 90% complete with a compete rewrite of the Disassembly and Repair Paper #1 for the 1967-68 Camaro and Chevelle standard steering column. If you could please send me a PM with your eMail address, I would like to send your a copy for you to critique.

As you probably know, I have some engineering drawings as well as the 1968 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual. So I have tried to make some comprehensible instructions for serviceing the turn signal switch and the upper bearing. You guys have a lot more hands-on first hand knowledge, so I would appreciate any comments, criticism, etc.

One area of confusion: The 1967-68 Camaro column with column shift automatic has a PRNDL indicator on the column head with a light bulb. I assume that you have to remove the PRNDL indicator in order to remove the head unit???

Jim Shea

#23 ·
Thanks for reply. Yes, three screws are barely holding the lock plate. Do the parts #11 (shift bowl spring), #12 (ring) and #13 (spring retainer shell) need to be locked or loaded onto the #9 directional signal housing? If so, what holds parts together? I've been trying to re-assemble by putting all parts in order and using the column jacket to compress spring until locked into place. This doesn't seem to work as lock plate won't turn, getting resistance somewhere.

#25 ·
Was able to get assembly back into place. Had to remove signal housing from column head, load in sequence parts then compress spring firmly with retainer shell onto signal housing to get assembly to stay compressed as one unit. Once unit was added back into column head, three screws threaded through and onto lock plate, unit slid into place and with a little muscle, turned and locked. Then tightened 3 screws, put steering wheel back into place.

Created a new problem though, now have about 3/16" gap between steering wheel and signal housing/steering column. The nut holding steering wheel is tightened all the way down. Don't want to loosen the 3 screws at the risk of loosing their grip and having to start all over.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Glad to send pics if it will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.