Turbo 400 kickdown switch - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Aug 11th, 12, 3:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale

Default Turbo 400 kickdown switch

My transmission doesnt downshifting when I hit the gas. I tested the switch on the gas peddle and I have 12 volts on the terminal closest to the firewall. When I manually move the switch the other terminal goes from 0 volts to 12v then tested the feed at the transmission orange wire has 12 volts with the black (ground?) at 0 volts. When I start the car the switch at the pedel doesnt move, it stays at the last location. Should it "slide" up to the pedlal? Need a new kickdown switch? I bought the switch new last year and just installed so maybe its defective. I beleive the vacuum is only for upshifting that works fine. Car is a 71 chevelle with a 402, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 11th, 12, 7:15 PM
Team Member
carlo

Default Re: Turbo 400 kickdown switch

Dale
look at the pedal when your pushing down on it, it should be making contact with the switch. when you floor it should make contact & slide the switch to engage it. once your pedal slides the switch then it will send a signal to engage. there's not a lot of adjustment for the pedal to switch contact. what I did with mine is I slid a piece of 3/8 gas line over that barrel part of the switch. this made the contact area thicker for the pedal to move the switch. works like a charm. hope I explained it good enough.got too have passing gear hooked up unless you go with a quick silver floor shifter, which I just did. good luck. hmardown
12 Bolt
3.42:1 Posi
Old Aug 11th, 12, 8:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale

Thanks Carol, so after i adjust drive one time the switch is "stuck" at the last position so it doesnt go back to the inital position. I will try the hose trick as well, thanks.
Old Aug 11th, 12, 11:46 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7432 View Post
My transmission doesnt downshifting when I hit the gas. I tested the switch on the gas peddle and I have 12 volts on the terminal closest to the firewall. When I manually move the switch the other terminal goes from 0 volts to 12v then tested the feed at the transmission orange wire has 12 volts with the black (ground?) at 0 volts. When I start the car the switch at the pedel doesnt move, it stays at the last location. Should it "slide" up to the pedlal? Need a new kickdown switch? I bought the switch new last year and just installed so maybe its defective. I beleive the vacuum is only for upshifting that works fine. Car is a 71 chevelle with a 402, thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
I slid a piece of 3/8 gas line over that barrel part of the switch. this made the contact area thicker for the pedal to move the switch.
For the '70 and newer switch, the switch has to be moved fully forward, then it self-adjusts the first time you put the pedal to the carpet. There is no need to put hose over the actuator peg.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301666
Especially post 16

SOMEDAY I'll stumble across a '68--'69 switch to see how they're different in terms of adjustment from the newer version.

Did you post in the correct forum?
Old Aug 12th, 12, 12:26 PM
Team Member
carlo

Quote:
Thanks Carol, so after i adjust drive one time the switch is "stuck" at the last position so it doesnt go back to the inital position. I will try the hose trick as well, thanks.
who's carol ? your welcome, Carlo
12 Bolt
3.42:1 Posi
Old Aug 19th, 12, 7:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale

Thanks Carlo,

Havent fixed the problem yet, I bought a new switch at the pedal and read you can test the kickdown solenoid by putting 12v to the top terminal and grounding to the frame. Another post didnt recommend this. Has anyone tested the switch? I'm getting 12v on the top and 0 on the bottom. If its bad I assume I need to drop the pan? thanks.
Old Aug 21st, 12, 12:09 AM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Thanks Carlo,

Havent fixed the problem yet, I bought a new switch at the pedal and read you can test the kickdown solenoid by putting 12v to the top terminal and grounding to the frame. Another post didnt recommend this. Has anyone tested the switch? I'm getting 12v on the top and 0 on the bottom. If its bad I assume I need to drop the pan? thanks.
Switch, or solenoid? Switch is at the gas pedal, solenoid is on the valve body, requires pan removal.

A photo of how you're doing this test would be nice.

Did you post in the correct forum?
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dale

Im talking about the Solenoid on the tranny, looking on how to test. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: Turbo 400 kickdown switch
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.