73 chevelle ss bumpers, - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Aug 5th, 12, 3:46 PM
Tech Team

Default 73 chevelle ss bumpers,

Was noticing the different bumpers on this year model it seems like 90% of the 73 ss that I see have the bumpers without push bars,but ive seen them both ways with and without push bars, why is this. was the bumpers with push bars more rare or an extra option.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 5th, 12, 7:21 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Default Re: 73 chevelle ss bumpers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ssbb View Post
Was noticing the different bumpers on this year model it seems like 90% of the 73 ss that I see have the bumpers without push bars,but ive seen them both ways with and without push bars, why is this. was the bumpers with push bars more rare or an extra option.?
Yes. There are 3 versions actually: 1. plain chrome; 2. plain chrome with bumper guards; and 3. chrome with rubber impact strips and bumper guards. my 73 SS454 has the "full monte" of guards along with the impact strips. The impact strips are near impossible to find and a "kings ransom" price-wise.

Donny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73SS454Phillyskyline1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	55369  
Old Aug 5th, 12, 8:30 PM
Tech Team

have found two sets of original chrome bumpers with rot free understructures in the u pull it yards here. things weigh a ton though!
Old Aug 5th, 12, 9:14 PM
Tech Team

Well mine has the bumper guard with the rubber in that part, but the rubber that goes the length of the bumper is not there. With that I think I will just have mine re chromed.
Old Aug 5th, 12, 10:27 PM
Tech Team
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ssbb View Post
Well mine has the bumper guard with the rubber in that part, but the rubber that goes the length of the bumper is not there. With that I think I will just have mine re chromed.
That is a fourth option, yes, sorry. What I meant was plain, with rub strip, and with guards, (with or without rub strip). I have complete NOS guard asssembly installation kits if you want to do those instead of replating your originals. I guess it would depend on how nice your rubber inserts are. Let me know if I can help.

Donny
Old Aug 6th, 12, 12:44 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawtech View Post
That is a fourth option, yes, sorry. What I meant was plain, with rub strip, and with guards, (with or without rub strip). I have complete NOS guard asssembly installation kits if you want to do those instead of replating your originals. I guess it would depend on how nice your rubber inserts are. Let me know if I can help.

Donny
thanks man, I will get a better look at them tomorrow and let you know if I need them.
Old Aug 6th, 12, 10:03 PM
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

As was stated by Donny, the horizontal rubber rub strips are very difficult to find. If you leave them off of a bumper that came with them originally, you will be left with exposed slots in the bumper where the rub strips would have been attached.

My Showroom
TC Gold #120
Completely stock 67 Malibu Sport Coupe 6 cyl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: 73 chevelle ss bumpers,
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.