Thinning Rustoleum paint to spray w/ gun - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Aug 23rd, 12, 10:39 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Default Re: Thinning Rustoleum paint to spray w/ gun

We had this discussion in another thread some time ago. RO is the same as a single stage acrylic enamel. Oil based, cures in about 30 days, after curing can wet sand if needed. Look at the ingredients of an old can of Centari - its the same stuff. Yes, it will fade (specially red), yes the gloss will dull down eventually but then again this is true of most single stage paints. Now a days most paints even the "single stage" ones are catalyst based. RO is a decent paint for a decent price. Great on frames, inner fenders, parts that dont see the sun much (heavy sun promotes fading). Not bad for the guy whos putting together a driver quality car for cruzin around in. JMHO

"You can go to Hell, I'm going to Texas" Davey Crockett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 12, 4:12 PM
Tech Team

I used rustoleum for frames etc. I followed the thinning instructions on the can. I beilve it was acetone up to 15%. Just used a mixing cup that showed ounces and calculated %. I used a 1.4 tip and it worked great. It's cheap, sold everywhere and held up well. I guess it depends on what your $$$ situation is. Of course automotive paint would be my first choice, but then again some people dont even paint those areas.
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 8:30 PM
Tech Team
Nik

I personally would not use it on the exterior of a car. Except maybe a demolition derby car or a junker. A co-worker of mine just sprayed one, just to make it look nice at least for the first part of the demolition derby. Anyway, the Satin RO epoxy sprays nicely out of a gun. It looks better than the Ceramic Chassis Black from Eastwood that I shot my frame with, IMO. I doubt its going to wear out, as it will never see sun. Car will probably rarely if ever see rain. Plus, its dirt cheap to repaint if ever needed. And you can get matching rattle can paint for touch ups. It makes plenty of sense to me. I could see how others might not agree. It does not look any worse and I think it'll hold up nicely. My fire wall is getting painted body color, so its just my inner fefnders, rad support, hood hinges and such. I'm happy with the decision thus far. The biggest attraction to me was that it would be very easy to touch up any scratches that my engine compartment will see in the future.
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 8:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Ive been using it on my car and am very happy with results shot out of a gun
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 9:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb

Can't figure out for the life of me what this fascination with Rustoleum is about?! Why would you even consider a product from a hardware store when you can buy from Eastwood a superior product at the same $!
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 9:52 PM

I think the appeal of rustoleum is it does a decent job, you can pick it up at walmart for $8.50 a quart.
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 10:39 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeRodder View Post
Can't figure out for the life of me what this fascination with Rustoleum is about?! Why would you even consider a product from a hardware store when you can buy from Eastwood a superior product at the same $!
1. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than anything Eastwood has.
2. It is stocked 5 minutes from home.
3. it is just a good

Why would anyone pay more from Eastwood and have to pay for and wait on shipping when they can get a vast variety of products from their local auto paint store?

Gold member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club
Old Aug 26th, 12, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb

Ya that is three good points,, I just wonder about quality though of Rustoleum.
Old Aug 26th, 12, 11:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

4.) Touch up with a rattle can.

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Old Aug 26th, 12, 11:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kent & Kam

Sprayed our frame with RO 7777 and used the red oxide as primer base. Thinner with Acetone in an old Binks gun. Kinda poured it in and stirred till it looked right...Ha. Came out great. plus my 17 yr son shoot it himself...Total cost maybe 50 bucks vs. 500 powder coat. Plus we can touch it up anytime if need be.,,,,,
North Texas Camaro Club
Old Feb 20th, 14, 11:51 PM
Tech Team
Nik

Well, not to bring this thread back from the dead, but i wanted to answer. So, no, this car is not a show car. It's a driver. Nearly two years later, the rustoleum 777 satin paint looks great, STILL! I know that there is higher quaility paint out there, but while trying to keep build expenses low, while building a car from the ground up, two years later, I am beyond comfortable with my choice in spraying this satin rustoleum paint. I would not use it on a build that would see sun light regularly, but for a driver, on a budget, if you have a hvlp gun and $2o, I would definitely recommend spraying with this satin Rustoleum. I am getting ready to shoot a '53 GMC in Satin olive drab Rustoleum while I wait until I wrap up the body work. This stuff works great for low budget builds that won't be parked outside permanently. I acknowledge the valor in painting vehicles in proper automotive paint, but sometimes we simply need to get by in the short term.

Nik
Old Feb 21st, 14, 12:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kent & Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 454 View Post
Sprayed our frame with RO 7777 and used the red oxide as primer base. Thinner with Acetone in an old Binks gun. Kinda poured it in and stirred till it looked right...Ha. Came out great. plus my 17 yr son shoot it himself...Total cost maybe 50 bucks vs. 500 powder coat. Plus we can touch it up anytime if need be.,,,,,
Well,,,3 yrs later and our frame still looks great..Car is painted and back on frame. Wrapped the frame and susp. in plastic for the body and paint, came home took it off and just wiped it down and looks great. Click image for larger version

Name:	Car paint finished 010.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	149513
North Texas Camaro Club
Old Feb 21st, 14, 5:37 AM
Team Member
Joe

Two year old thread, but I will add anyway. Did a '64 GTO back in early 80's. Buddy of mine still has it. Blasted then prime & top coat with Rustoleum. Frame still looks good. My '69 was done same way. Had car for 8 years, driven in all weather conditions except snow & ice. Frame still looked great. Nicks it got from jack stands were easily touched up with spray bomb. Yes cheap, but, does work when used as intended. Friend of mine works at a power plant near the ocean. Told me they have used all types of high tech coatings, they all eventually fail, so, they said to heck with it and just use Rustoleum.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Old Feb 21st, 14, 6:56 AM
Tech Team
Josh

Yeah, old dead thread but I can personally vouch for Rustoleum. Back in the day, when I rebuilt the front end of my 66 I sandblasted my a-frames rattle can primed with cheapo primer, and painted them with Rustoleum this was around 1999. I took my car apart around 2004-2005 and the frame sat behind my shop in the weather, uncovered, and unloved until last year. It still looked good, a little faded but I most likely could have buffed them a little and they would look great... But alas I repainted everything, had I thought about it I would have took pics. Doh!!
Old Feb 22nd, 14, 12:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The OP brought this thread back.

My own update since 2012. I did a boat trailer in 12/13 with Majic. Similar to Rustoleum. I selected Majic because they offer an 8:1 reducer and a 16:1 catalyst hardener. it was in stock in gallons at Tractor Supply. Although it you can add a catalyst, for all intents and purposes you still treat it like single stage paint. I did the roll and tip method that boat guys use. It came out super shiny. More shiny that you get with a rattle can. About $25 a gallon, all in with reducer and hardener it's still under $50.

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Thinning Rustoleum paint to spray w/ gun
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.