Thinning Rustoleum paint to spray w/ gun - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Aug 5th, 12, 1:03 AM
Tech Team
Nik

Default Thinning Rustoleum paint to spray w/ gun

I want to spray some inner fenders, inside of fenders and a radiator support with some gloss black Rustoleum. I have a DeVilbiss gun. I would rattle can it but I want to get more practice setting up and spraying with my gun. So, I am pretty sure it would need to be thinned. What should i thin it with, Acetone? Could anyone suggest a set amount to add to thin it, or is it by sight/feel? I dont want to over thin it. Also, When it is thinned, should I spray with a 1.3 tip? I also have a little touch up gun with a 1.0 tip. Thanks in advance for help, guys!

Nik C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 5th, 12, 8:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Default Re: Thinning Rustoleum paint to spray w/ gun

Why not use a paint better than Rustoleum? Go to your jobber and buy automotive paint.
Old Aug 5th, 12, 10:59 AM
Team Member

You need to use a primer gun with a 1.8 tip or larger.

The mix should be 50-50.

Urethane would be the better choice.

www.howardsbackyardautobody.com
Old Aug 5th, 12, 12:38 PM
Tech Team
Nik

OK, I guess i'm heading down the wrong path. I will pick up some urethane paint. Thanks guys!
Nik
Old Aug 5th, 12, 1:24 PM
Team Member
Todd

My buddy and I sprayed my Monte with Rustoleum satin black at a 70/30 mix with acetone. No science behind our % but turned out real good. This car was rust free and straight but a hideous faded goldish brown. Just needed a cheap color change, misssion accomplished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monte.jpg
Views:	1467
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	55359  

Best ET 11.09
Best MPH 119.87
Best 60 1.53
Best 1/8 6.97 97.61 mph

http://tinyurl.com/60213IDLE
http://tinyurl.com/Drag-Run
http://tiny.cc/69pics
Old Aug 6th, 12, 1:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Rustoleum is AWESOME... for grills.

O.K. I'm kidding. I once shot a set of early 60's Cadillac steel wheels with the Rustoleum gray gloss.

I noticed that the color happened to match the OEM Cadillac rim color very closely. So I said "what the heck"! This was back in the days before you could get the 60's colors easily matched. (Sheesh! You young guys don't know how good you have it these days...)

Anyway, I cut it with either PPG 870 or 885 reducer. I can't remember which, but I know it was one or the other of those two, because that's all I had. :-) It shot beautifully and looked really good and lasted perfectly fine on properly prepped steel rims.

Good reducer can make average paint shoot pretty nice, IME.

I wouldn't personally paint a car with it, but Rustoleum can also work well for certain underhood components. For example, their "high temperature black semi-gloss enamel" shoots as a fair match to GM OEM A6 compressor paint (which was enamel - NOT lacquer like so much of everything else under the hood of a 60's GM product.)

NOTE: Rustoleum now heavily pushes a product line that is water based. These days you have to really watch out when buying Rustoleum, because they stock the two products side by side in the stores and the packaging is deceptively similar. Lots of stores are no longer carrying the solvent / enamel stuff. Try the mom and pop stores, where they still know that good paint has to be poisonous. :-)

Just my 2C

Keith
Old Aug 6th, 12, 1:51 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Recommend using better materials if you can, but RO will work well "for now". I have used it several times on "just need to cover it up with something" projects. Also for underhood, under body painting.

Painted this Monte with RO satin black, paint job lasted 6 years. Painted my Elco at the same time same paint, lasted 8 years. I live in RIverside County in SoCal, lots of sunny hot days, so lasted OK for $50 invested. Would have liked to do a "real paint job", but not in dollar/time budget right now.

Thinned with acetone, about 1:1, sprayed with an old Craftsman gun.

Tom
Old Aug 8th, 12, 9:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Hi Tom,

Yes, good point...wish every paint job could be BC/CC fourteen feet deep, but it is better to light a pile of Fords than curse the darkness.

p.s. What is it with you guys and these satin black Monte Carlos? :-) I've seen five or six painted this way.

Keith
Old Aug 8th, 12, 3:46 PM
Tech Team
Hal

Just painted a 94 Suburban with that stuff. 1:1 mix using a cheep Harbor Freight spray gun. Two coats and the old primer / baby blue is gone. Wheel wells painted as well. Total cost, including the gun, $80.
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 9:38 PM
Tech Team
Nik

Just sprayed my inner fenders, rad support, steering arms, hood hinges, bumper brackets and some other small parts that i had blasted with the satin enamel Rustoleum (Part number 7777) mixed 1:1 with acetone through a DeVilbiss gun with a 1.3 tip. I was set up with a 1.8 tip but after mixing, it was pretty thin. Swapped to the 1.3 and it shot very well. I'm very happy with the results for what it is. Picked up all of my parts from the blaster this morning, shot with epoxy and then the rustoleum. I can post a picture if anyone is interested. I bet that over the epoxy, it will last very well, not seeing day light and all.
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Nik C.
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 9:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

my car was sprayed with RO outside on the lawn in southern arizona with a tankless air compressor and generic spray gun - back in 1984 ???
it is still holding on to the car for what it's worth...
i'm about ready to touch it up to make it all the same color again
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...erinstall4.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...-11-200715.jpg
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I think this shows how the hobby comes around. People like nice paint on the cars, but when it costs more to paint a car than what the car is worth people start getting back to the basics. I rattle canned the nova satin black just to make it all one color. when I get the quarter skin replaced, its getting a regular cheapie satin black paint. jim
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt
Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Interesting. I've rattle canned a lot of stuff. Amazing how good of a finish you can get on small parts. Especially with some of the bigger flowing tips. Other than getting enough volume and getting big drops as the spray can cools. The underside of my Chevelle was shot with True Value's XO-Rust back in about 1990. At that time TV's parent had their own paint factory and still had the rust inhibitors that RO took out of the paint. It was shot with a gun. I used it because I it was affordable (I was in college), I had the level of gear that could shoot it but not something better, and I could always match it out of rattle cans.

Since then we've had the guy doing $100 paint jobs with Tremcald, the Canadian version of RO, using the "roll and roll method." There was even a Car Craft article about the $99 paint job.

All that said, I've always felt the RO and other stuff was not "real paint" for a car. I've been spending time lately on the iBoats forum and a lot of these guys restoring old boats on a budget are using RO, Valspar or other hardware store paints. They thin it with acetone, mineral spirits, or maybe xylene, maybe a mix. Maybe they add hardener, maybe not. They mix colors by blending pints and quarts. Some shoot it with cheap HF guns, some "roll and tip" some "roll and roll". They get really amazing results. Not show car, but well beyond what you'd expect.

So I think there's merit in some of these techniques, especially for under hood, chassis, or other parts that are easy to over restore with typical automotive two stage paint.

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
Why not use a paint better than Rustoleum? Go to your jobber and buy automotive paint.
or better yet order from Eastwood
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

B and A Antiques
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 7:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I dont know the whole deal of your car.

Why did you end up using Rustoleum?

Is you car a real budget car or a racer?

If you shot your car in a real nice paint for a show or real nice driver paint job, I dont know why you would use Rustoleum on your car.
383 SBC / TH 350 with 3400 stall / 4:10 gears

Best time on motor: 11.811
Best mph: 116.44 mph
Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust.
Goal is to have a 10.99 or faster run
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Thinning Rustoleum paint to spray w/ gun
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.