Flush mount rear window. - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jul 27th, 12, 3:46 AM
Tech Team
Gerrett

Default Flush mount rear window.

Got a 69 chevelle. Need intructions on how to weld this up. Where to measure ect... Pics would be great to. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 27th, 12, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: Flush mount rear window.

The problem I have with this mod is that when you make the window opening smaller to make that small gap around the glass, you are changing the look of the back of the roof more by making the window "smaller" than you are by the "Trick" flush mount. That body has a little line around the rear window, the distance from the glass to that line is further when you do this, do you really want that?

The chrome around the glass makes for a "larger" window in your eyes. Even though it covers up a bit of the glass, bringing the body to the glass and eliminating that cover over it doesn't make the glass bigger, it makes it smaller because the chrome was effectively the "window".

What is your "theme" for the car? If it is modernizing it and shaving off all the chrome around the tail lights and flush mounting the bumpers, shaving the drip rails and so forth that flush mounted glass fits right in. But if all those things aren't being done, what will flush mounted glass get you in the overall look? Are you doing the windshield too?

I ask these things because if you were doing all those things you wouldn't need to ask the question on how do you flush mount the rear glass, you would be on top of that like butter on toast. So if you aren't making all those other mods, why do this window?

Basically, if you want to make the rear window flush mount, first decide on what moulding if any you are going to use. If it is the S-10 style little rib of plastic that is about 3/8" wide that moulding needs about a quarter inch gap (a little less as I remember) to slip into to. So you get your glass and using IT as your guide make the hole a quarter inch bigger than the window.

Brian
"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
Old Jul 27th, 12, 1:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

sounds like the mod that was done on the Cutlass on the Powerblock show Musclecar

Just find episode MC2012-04

Brian, I agree with you.....leave it alone if that's ALL that's being done. Opens up a can of worms.
Old Jul 27th, 12, 2:30 PM
Tech Team
Gerrett

Well the theme for (my car) is "NO CHROME". Bumpers, handles, side mirror, no body trim, will be same color as the Car. Its a four door so I already know more than half the guys on here would dog me out rebuilding this car. But to each is own. Im not looking for a big resale or i could car less about the value. My rear window channels are rusted out and i thought this would be a good mod seeing that i have ruined the chrome molding getting the window out to check for rust. I wasnt expecting all corners and bottom siding to be beyond a little sanding and rust paint. Also need pratice on my welding.
Old Jul 27th, 12, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Gerrett if you watch that episode listed above and compare that cars lines to your chevelle you'll see a big difference. just by adding spacers they brought it up to the square lines on the car. Chevelle's are not square so you'd have to add spacers to raise it as well as box in the sloping sides and somehow the roof line and trunk line. Do yourself a favor. get some big cardboard and tape and make a window template. put it on top of the current window with spacers to raise it. use cardboard and try to cut out the 20 pieces you'll need to fab up and tape it all together. I just don't think it will have the same affect as others that I have seen.
Try fabbing up you're own moulding using some imagination and 1/16 steel rod. It would solve your broke trim issue, bridge the gap, could be black, give you welder practice, and would be unique.
Old Jul 27th, 12, 4:48 PM
Tech Team
Gerrett

Thanks terrence. Ill deffinatly look for that episode. And the window template is a good idea thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Flush mount rear window.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.