help on repairing rust around windshield mounting surface - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jun 17th, 12, 1:18 PM
Steve

Default help on repairing rust around windshield mounting surface

hello, im looking for ideas to repair the rust surface where the windshield mounts. there are no holes just the surface as seen in the pictures. ive got rage extreme filler or metal glaze if thats all i need to do?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 17th, 12, 1:53 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Default Re: help on repairing rust around windshield mounting surface

I'd wire wheel that out the best you can then hit it with some 80 grit then prime. Looks like its still mostly window glue.
Old Jun 17th, 12, 2:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

All the rust has the be removed. If you can't sandblast it which is the preferred method, use a strip disc or heavy wire wheel. Then multiple treatments with phosphoric or naval jelly till it's gone. If you find holes repair them by welding or patches. Epoxy and don't prime. That's another subject regarding glass replacement.
Old Jun 17th, 12, 2:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

+1 on what Scott said...and almost guaranteed that you will find some pinholes deep in the rust pits.

Keith
Old Jun 17th, 12, 3:05 PM
Team Member
Rudy

I would hit it with a wire brush first and the sand blast [if you don't have a sand blaster go to Harbor Freight or Sears and get a hand held spot blaster $20.00?] if there are no pin holes I would use POR 15 and give it a couple coats and ready to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-h...gun-95793.html
72 VW Convertible
83 GMC POW/MIA Drag Truck
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230084
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230123
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3231524
Old Jun 17th, 12, 3:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeparts View Post
I would hit it with a wire brush first and the sand blast [if you don't have a sand blaster go to Harbor Freight or Sears and get a hand held spot blaster $20.00?] if there are no pin holes I would use POR 15 and give it a couple coats and ready to go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-h...gun-95793.html
Forget the POR, Clean metal deserves epoxy, a professional product. Why do so may want to put POR on clean or new metal? Is epoxy junk? Must be crap if that's what resto and bodyshops use.
Old Jun 17th, 12, 3:45 PM
Steve

are you guys talking about a spray on or brush on epoxy paint?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintd...oxy-paint.aspx
Old Jun 17th, 12, 5:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Not aerosol, real 2 part epoxy (2K) that's sprayed with a gun. 2K means it has a hardener. I can only assume you have little or no bodywork or product knowledge, no offense. Time to study.....a lot.
Old Jun 17th, 12, 5:51 PM
Tech Team
mike

Sandblasting is the way to go,then scotchbrite the channel to remove the blast residue. If you don't have a gun, or are just needing a small amount of 2K epoxy, you could use this 2 part.
May not meet the "pro standards", but it worked well on some small stuff I did when I didn't want to buy a full quart just to use 8 ounces.
Good luck!
http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part.cfm
Old Jun 17th, 12, 7:22 PM
Steve

I saw that 2-part in a can. Just wasn't sure what was being recommended
Old Jun 17th, 12, 9:07 PM
Tech Team
Cody

Im confused, when you say dont prime and to epoxy? Isnt epoxy primer a primer?

I would agree, with everyone. do your absolute best to make sure that the rust is removed and any pinholes or questionable spots are fixed. Sandblasting is the best way to do this.

Here is some advice for later down the road. I have worked closely with a window installer. ( I am not one though) You can prime and paint, but dont clear the window area, after the rust has been removed. Tape off where the window adhesive will go when clearing. Some adhesives can loosen the clear from what I have been told.
Old Jun 17th, 12, 9:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidpaint View Post
Im confused, when you say dont prime and to epoxy? Isnt epoxy primer a primer?

Here is some advice for later down the road. I have worked closely with a window installer. ( I am not one though) You can prime and paint, but dont clear the window area, after the rust has been removed. Tape off where the window adhesive will go when clearing. Some adhesives can loosen the clear from what I have been told.
I said epoxy only because glass installation methods suggest urethane over epoxy only and not primer. I don't cosider epoxy a primer like urethane build primer, it's a precoat. Although some people like to use epoxy as a filler primer. They do not sand like filler primers.

Read the sticky on glass, plenty to keep you busy there. You can chime in and add to it. Loosening the clear has nothing to do with it. It does not soften the clear.
Old Jun 17th, 12, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

I totally agree with the epoxy method. Although epoxy may be technically called a primer, it is actually a rust barrier. You can take a completely rusted panel and seal it with epoxy and never see rust again as long as it is completely sealed on all sides. If you epoxy an area that you have have no access to the back side of then you can still have rust-through from the untreated side.
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
Old Jun 18th, 12, 8:34 AM
Tech Team
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
Forget the POR, Clean metal deserves epoxy, a professional product. Why do so may want to put POR on clean or new metal? Is epoxy junk? Must be crap if that's what resto and bodyshops use.
i think most do-it-yourself guys see the por-15 as a good way to help keep their cars from rusting more. most starting out don't have access to tools like sandblasters and spray booths. or even things like an air compressor that has enough cfm to run some of these tools.. butttt they like to work on thier cars the best they can with what they got. im not a por-15 guy nor do i recommend laying it in a window channel, but if someone cant completely strip rust out of an area i understand why they would want to use por-15
Old Jun 18th, 12, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerman9967 View Post
i think most do-it-yourself guys see the por-15 as a good way to help keep their cars from rusting more. most starting out don't have access to tools like sandblasters and spray booths. or even things like an air compressor that has enough cfm to run some of these tools.. butttt they like to work on thier cars the best they can with what they got. im not a por-15 guy nor do i recommend laying it in a window channel, but if someone cant completely strip rust out of an area i understand why they would want to use por-15
Phoshoric acid or Naval Jelly will remove the rust, no need to cover it up with POR. This is a window channel and glass installation requires proper procedures are followed.

You don't need a commercial sanblaster or spraybooth to prep the channel. Hand held spot blasters are cheap. Jobbers have them. Clean Strip discs and wire wheels too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: help on repairing rust around windshield mounting surface
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.