68 SS 427 emblems from Impalas. . . - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
1999 -- Tech Files - reference area
1000's of previous topics

Old Apr 28th, 99, 2:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Did the SS427s have the SS on the grill with the 427 underneath like the SS 396s? I was just trying to remember but I thought these were the emblems they used on the Yenko/Copo 68 427 chevelles...

Thanks!
-Joe Y.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 28th, 99, 2:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Joe, I think the Impala's used an offset emblem. It wasn't centered on the grill,but set to the left between the center and the headlights in 67.
Old Apr 28th, 99, 5:58 PM
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

The '68 Impala SS427 did use an emblem in front that said 'SS' on top & had red 427 numerals below. Out back they used an emblem that said 'SS427' on one line. This emblem is the one you may see on some Motion cars; the 'SS' is chrome & the '427' is red. I think Danchuck has the emblems available. One thing for sure, there are more emblems than cars. There is one extremely rare one here in Toronto. I was driving to work when I saw it; needless to say I was late for work that day. I checked it out, and it's a genuine Canadain-built SS427 convertible. I've heard that only 12 were produced in Canada; estimates say that 50 SS427 covertibles were produced in the U.S. but I figure there were possibly that or a few hundred. You certainly don't see them around.
Old Apr 28th, 99, 7:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Cam, do you know what model 427s were offered for non vette application such as this? Just curious. Thanks!

-Joe Y.
Old Apr 28th, 99, 8:00 PM
Senior Tech Team

Joe, I think the L-72 was the code for the full size cars with a 427 back then.
Old Apr 28th, 99, 8:41 PM
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

The L36 (427/385 horse) was the standard powerplant. Painted orange with black air cleaner, except for the SS427. They got chrome valve covers and air cleaner lids. Also, the L72 was offered secretly for those who knew enough to ask and had a dealer who knew how to order it. The L72 was the hot Corvette 425 horse engine. Corvettes by that time still offered that motor, but with tri-power and a 435 horse rating. BTW, the L72 retained the Corvette exhaust manifolds when used on the big cars, and it used duals without the rear resonators (unlike the L36).
Old Apr 28th, 99, 8:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Birdwell Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Birdwell

Two 427's were available for the '68 Impala SS427, the L72 425 horse, and the 385 horse L36 ( I think that's the code). A friend of mine bought a '68 SS427 convertible about 10 years ago. It was a numbers matching 385 horse automatic car. It had the SS427 emblem centered in the grille. Also had a special domed hood with a chrome grate in the rear, and "gills" on the front fender. One interesting note about this car...the VIN stamped on the engine was one number off from the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > 1999 --      Current Topic: 68 SS 427 emblems from Impalas. . .
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.