EZ-Up Temporary Paint Booth - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Mar 20th, 12, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Default EZ-Up Temporary Paint Booth

Alright before the pros $*** all over my idea hear me out and I ask that you guide me.

I know this has been asked all over the net on different forums but I need to do the inside of the hood, small parts and the biggest area of concern the firewall on my project.

Now I am on a budget and most of all only have one time I can use a paint booth and the owner explicitly said "one days full use only and I don't want you carting all the parts in there individually." I understand why he is doing me a favor and isn't charging me a dime so....

I have a few Q's though:

-Sealing the EZ-UP completely, floor included and using the box fan to PUSH the air in will this suffice for airflow for my applications without having to worry about "blowing up"?

-Will filters on the exaust side keep all paint particles IN the EZ-UP? I am in navy housing so I cannot paint my neighbors car as well! The company ownership doesn't work on Sat/Sunday so thats why I have gotten away with this project so far. As far as smell nobody cares as long as I inform them not to mention the husbands all help me!

-What mask should I purchase with budget in mind?

-Will a painters suit be ok to keep paint off my skin?

-If everythings in primer what is the procedure for prepping the surface?

-For the inside of the hood and firewall I know I want Semi-Gloss Black should I use BC/CC on this or is there a better option.

Thanks for the help ahead of time! I am very nervous about painting but with the impending rotation from here in June 2013 I need to make the mistakes and move forward!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Up.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	51303  
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 12, 7:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Default Re: EZ-Up Temporary Paint Booth

The only downside I see is to hanging heavy things from the framing!
Old Mar 20th, 12, 8:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric Shunn

get a full face with VOC carts minimum, preferably you want a SCBA or positive pressure air supply with remote intake.
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

B and A Antiques
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 20th, 12, 8:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
mark

who ever you buy the paint from, ask for a resperator that will protect you, you should be completely covered including eye protection, you absorb thru them,,hard to believe but true..., your body will absorb the paint thru the pores in your skin also...

Dont be nervous, just do it, after the first one, its a walk in the park, just take your time, and follow the paint manufactures flash time, wait til the day you paint and buy the reducer for the conditions that day...you'll be fine...
Old Mar 20th, 12, 8:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Ricardo if only I was stationed on a submarine still! I have full access to a SCBA! Do you think adequate ventilation and the full body/face protection will suffice?

Mark I see in all the tutorials and how to's online all they have is a respirator on! I got bronchitis last fall from paint fumes off a rattle can! Never again am I playing around with paint! Only thing is where should I look to get paint locally? I was thinking of getting paint from summit but I honestly haven't even thought about where or what paint yet.
Old Mar 20th, 12, 8:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric Shunn

not if you're spraying urethane or anything with isocyanates in it. a half mask is ok for rattle cans but the pro stuff needs pro respiration. It's especially important since you won't have a downdraft spray booth.

any exposure is too much.
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

B and A Antiques
Old Mar 20th, 12, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Ricardo roger that! I am sure I can figure that out then. If I can't borrow, beg or steal a full face positive pressure mask I will purchase one. That bronchitis sucked horribly! The full skin coverage should be easy to do.
Old Mar 20th, 12, 9:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodney

To be honest with you, I would paint outdoors rather than use what you are considering if you have a little outdoor room and friendly neighbors. A HPLV paint gun will minimize any over spray that will stick to anything unless you are using enamel or something similar.
That piece you are considering will limit your vision unless your ventilation system is adequate and it wouldn't be conducive to those with Bronchial problems without the use of a SCBA.....
Old Mar 21st, 12, 12:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

I don't think you are going to get any airflow using a box fan to push air thru exhaust filters. Any positive pressure you get is going to escape thru any seam it finds.
Old Mar 21st, 12, 1:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kyle

FWIW, I painted my Chevelle (and elcamino) on the side of my house on a decent day. No wind, just the occasional breeze. Neighbors car was no more then 20 ft from where I was painting. No overspray on anything, including my house that was 8-10 ft away from the car. Neighbor didn't mind because I gave him a couple weeks notice, and he said go for it. Now he want's me to paint his car too! and happy about that...

I guess what I'm saying is the easy up really needed?

[OO] Malibu [OO]
70 Chevelle - Malibu
TC #4464
Old Mar 21st, 12, 1:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lance,
I used my EZ up temporary shelter to spray some epoxy and it came out Ok the only problem I had was running out of daylight (BUGS) and a problem with a cheap gun, so start early.
I used a couple of cheap box fans, 1 blowing in on low at the front flap with 1 blowing on high to exhaust it at the back flap.Watered down the floor and waited for it to dry out some,mostly to cut down on the dust.Be prepared for anything if you only have 1 day to use it,make sure ahead of time that the compressor will work your spray gun,try to pick a day that isn't so windy and have some extra prepsol and tack rags on hand.
Old Mar 21st, 12, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Lance,
I used my EZ up temporary shelter to spray some epoxy and it came out Ok the only problem I had was running out of daylight (BUGS) and a problem with a cheap gun, so start early.
I used a couple of cheap box fans, 1 blowing in on low at the front flap with 1 blowing on high to exhaust it at the back flap.Watered down the floor and waited for it to dry out some,mostly to cut down on the dust.Be prepared for anything if you only have 1 day to use it,make sure ahead of time that the compressor will work your spray gun,try to pick a day that isn't so windy and have some extra prepsol and tack rags on hand.
I think the OP has only one day to use a real booth and is looking to do some edging and small parts in the EZ Up so he can paint the outside in the booth on that one day.
Edges and small parts are more forgiving of less than ideal conditions than the outside of the car would be.
Old Mar 21st, 12, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Greg you are right in your statement. The only major area is the firewall. Kinda have to do that before the engine goes in...

Any input on the type of paint I should use?
Old Mar 21st, 12, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinklatre View Post
Greg you are right in your statement. The only major area is the firewall. Kinda have to do that before the engine goes in...

Any input on the type of paint I should use?
You will get 100 different replies on type of paint, I can only tell you what works for me.
I have been using PPG Commercial line (CPC) for areas under the car and underhood.
I use PPG CPC EPX-908 epoxy primer followed by PPG CPC AUE-100 single stage color. I have my black single stage flattened some, I have the ratio at home if you need it.
You can upgrade to PPG CPC AUE-300 but I don't like the way it sprays as well as AUE-100.
Old Mar 21st, 12, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

PPG has a bus color deck with different black gloss % and can be formulated to the paint of your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: EZ-Up Temporary Paint Booth
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.