Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super CJ-4 ZDDP - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Mar 5th, 12, 7:42 PM
Tech Team

Default Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super CJ-4 ZDDP

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 meets or exceeds the API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS and CH-4 service categories. API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CF/SM, SL. Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 is 1.0. I assume a Phosphorous content is 1000ppm. I've heard reports that the Zinc content is anywhere between 1000 to 1300ppm?

Does anyone know, for sure, what the Zinc content of Delvac 1300 15W-40 Super is as I have to formulate a mix with Lucas TB Zinc Plus having a 1187.5ppm/oz ZDDP level. Yes I know I may upset the delicate balance of the oils additive pkg reducing its effectiveness but I've no alternative as it doesn't exist in Northern Ontario and if available much too expensive to ship. I should get the Zinc Level up to approx 1600ppm with this particular SBC SFT 327 build.

Thanks ;o)

Last edited by z15cam; Mar 5th, 12 at 8:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 6th, 12, 5:42 PM
Tech Team

Default Re: Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super CJ-4 ZDDP

SWHEATON might find this of interest:

I called the Esso Mobile Imperial Tech Lab 1-800-662-4525-1-3 and explained that I represent Team Camaro Classic Cars and would like a more accurate sulphate ash% that is a P/Zn content of their Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super CJ-4 mineral Oil product then what is advertized in their Data Spec Sheet of the product which states a <1.0 value.

1st of all he said "We don't give out that information."

I told him that as a Classic Car Club representative we often take it upon ourselves to increase the ZDDP level of DINO Oil products with additives to protect our Flat Tappet engines as their is no product available, specifically in Canada and Delvac looks promising. I went on to say: "I called Shell Tech and they informed me that their Rotella 15w-40 CJ-4 had a ZDDP Zn/P of 1130/996. Are you limiting your info because of CDN Gov't EPA & API guides?"

He said no it not that.

I replied then what is the issue?

He said Shell would probably do that but we just don't give out the info but I can tell you it's around 1000ppm.

I said is it as high as 1100 or 1200ppm? He no it's around 1000ppm.

I thanked him and said: "As a representative of Team Camaro, I will relate this information to fellow members so they can start with Base Fact. Can I do this?"

He said:"Yes".

There you GO: Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super CJ-4 has a ZDDP content of 1000ppm/liter so if you are using Lucas TP Zinc Plus with approx a ZDDP content Zn/P @ 8300/7600ppm per 16 oz - Take it from there.

Canadians can't get Spectro Motor-Guard, Camshield, ZDDP Plus or any of the other after market specialty Automotive Hi-End ZDDP DINO products but we can get Lucas Break in ZDDP Additive, Rotella and Delvac CJ-4 products.

You will note that I have specifically specified DINO Oil not Blended or Synthetic products. The above formula should also do for our Old Harley's and Laverda ...etc Motorcycles with "Wet Clutches".

Unless you want to pay for Mineral or Syn Valvoline VR1 or Special, Spectro's V-Twin 20w-50 or 4 Stroke Off Road or Mobil's 4T & MX Syn there is no other option in Canada and don't work with a Wet Clutch.

I suppose you could order Spectro mineral Oil Classic Automotive 2X's Motor-Guard 10w-40 or 20w-50 with 1800ppm ZDDP from " http://www.performanceoilstore.com/", whom specify they only ship with in the States using Fed-Ex, and pay Custom Hazardous Product Fee's to CDA and WHY - The Outlet does not conform with other then: OFF ROAD & can NOT meet Regulations of USA & CDA EPA/API Spec's, but in the long run I believe I have submitted a cheaper solution for Canadians.

Ive got to explore this Site, are they selling a renamed Spectro X2 mineral Oil Motor-Guard:http://www.camoils.com/

Last edited by z15cam; Mar 6th, 12 at 7:12 PM.
Old Mar 6th, 12, 7:07 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z15cam View Post
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 meets or exceeds the API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS and CH-4 service categories. API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CF/SM, SL. Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 is 1.0. I assume a Phosphorous content is 1000ppm. I've heard reports that the Zinc content is anywhere between 1000 to 1300ppm?

Does anyone know, for sure, what the Zinc content of Delvac 1300 15W-40 Super is as I have to formulate a mix with Lucas TB Zinc Plus having a 1187.5ppm/oz ZDDP level. Yes I know I may upset the delicate balance of the oils additive pkg reducing its effectiveness but I've no alternative as it doesn't exist in Northern Ontario and if available much too expensive to ship. I should get the Zinc Level up to approx 1600ppm with this particular SBC SFT 327 build.

Thanks ;o)
==========================

Why bother with diesel oil for FT cams apps when there are plenty of oil choices avail today mfg'd with elevated zddp lvl for hi perf FT cam apps.

But if i were to run diesel oil for a FT app i would use chevrons delo 15-40 because i know for sure it still has 1300ppm zddp in the newer CJ rating from oil testing i did on it and from Chevrons website where it still states it has 1300ppm zddp in the new CJ rating too.

Moving on,there was post earlier this wk that was basically the same as yours asking about using chevron delo diesel 15-40 for Ft cam apps so i pasted below my responce to that post. or you to chk out.

BTW,some guys complain about odering oil online which is funny because it takes me less time (and no gas @ $4+ a gal where i live! ) to order oil online then to go out to buy it locally.

It takes me litterally 8-10 mins max to order oil online thats shipped to my door sometimes with free shipping for specials or oil thats on sale at a reduced price at the time.

You just have to think ahead a little to ensure you have the oil on hand when you need it which is no big deal to do IHMO.

Scott

============================

As far as FT cam/zddp goes only dif between older CI-CH rating and newer post 1/2007 CJ rating conventional dino Delo 15w-40 is the older version has 1500ppm zddp and newer rating has 1300ppm zddp protection.

Stock low perf to mild FT perf cams are fine with 1300ppm zddp but hotter more aggressive FT perf cams are better off with the 1500ppm zddp.

Chevrons Delo is a decent oil for many Ft cams apps but there are plenty of good oil choices avail today with proper zddp lvls for hi perf FT cams.

Just to name a few ,some avail locally and more avail online:

* Valvolines VR1 race oil (conven & syn) -1400ppm zddp per mfg.

* Brad Penn (syn blend) approx 1500ppm zddp per mfg.

* Spectro's Golden Motorguard for FT cams (conven & syn blend) - 1800ppm zddp per mfg.

* Motorheads (conven) HI Z 15w-40 -approx 1500ppm zddp per mfg.

* J-Gibbs Hot Rod (syn blend?) 1200-1300ppm zddp (if memory serves me right post contact J-Gibbs about zddp lvl of thier Hot Rod oil for FT cam'd classic car motors)

* Cam2's (syn blend) hi perf oil for FT cams - approx 2kppm zddp (Maybe too ZDDP lvl IMHO)

* Mobil-1 (Nascar approved) Race 15w-50 syn -1300ppm zddp. (It's not diesel oil!)

* Amsoil & R-P hi perf syn oil for FT cams with proper zddp lvl's .(zddp lvl?)

But you have to ensure you buy the proper hi perf syn oil from Amsoil & R-P that has the elevated zddp required for hi perf FT cams .

So be mindfull of that because they sell hi perf oil with low & high zddp lvls depending on application and you dont want to run low zddp oil with a hi perf FT cam esp with an agressive lobe design.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)

Last edited by SWHEATON; Mar 6th, 12 at 7:27 PM.
Old Mar 6th, 12, 7:16 PM
Tech Team

Mike: I'm specifying a Mineral Oil - Not SYN Oil or a Blend that can be used with FT Cams & Motorcycle Wet Clutches for Classic Mills in Canada. I need a common Mineral Oil and I think I've come to a conclusion using Lucas ZDDP break in Additive, which I have doubts about but have to use next season.

I can't over emphasize how impossible it is to obtain Hi-ZDDP Products in Canada.

What really draws my attention is that Mobil Delvac 1300 Super is Jasco MA1 - Which doesn't affect me as my 2 Wheel Ride doesn't need it. The Valve train of classic bikes require ZDDB as they are just too Heavy.

OK a 625Hp SR 454 MKIV will do with Delvac as will a ME21 84 Volvo mill but than there is not enough ZDDP for a 71 Laverda or 81 Harkey WGFX running a Wet Clutch- Can't use Syn Oils.

Last edited by z15cam; Mar 6th, 12 at 7:37 PM.
Old Mar 6th, 12, 7:34 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Mike: I'm specifying a Mineral Oil - Not SYN Oil or a Blend that can be used with FT Cams & Motorcycle Wet Clutches for Classic Mills in Canada. I need a common Mineral Oil and I think I've come to a conclusion using Lucas ZDDP break in Additive, which I have doubts about but have to use next season.

I can't over emphasize how impossible it is to obtain Hi-ZDDP Products in Canada.

What really draws my attention is that Mobil Delvac 1300 Super is Jasco MA1 - Which doesn't affect me as my 2 Wheel Ride doesn't need it

================================================== =

" I can't over emphasize how impossible it is to obtain Hi-ZDDP Products in Canada."

REALLY!!!

Read what i posted for other Candian team chevelle members a while back which i pasted below for you to chk out which has # sources of oil with good zddp lvls for FT cams apps.

BTW,you also mentioned oil for motorcyles with wet clutches.

Many motor oils (even non fuel conserving heaiver grades like for ex 15w-40 o/15w-50/some 20w-50) mfg'd these days have fric mods in them that arent that wet clutch friendly for bikes . And all the diesel oils i checked on and some pass car and or race oils had fic mods in them so be mindfull of that when it comes to bike with wet clutches.

It used be only the lighter grade fuel conserving oils that had firc mods in them which has changed over the yrs and isn't the case anymore.

I personally verified that thru conversations with mult oil mfg's when i doing the oil testing for team chevelle so i know its the case.

Scott

===============================================

1) Here's an oil froma a Canadian source,Its called Camoils (Collector Auto. Motor Oil).approx 1600PPM Zddp..

It's supposedly available at 2 NAPA locations in Calgary. Web site has the info.

http://www.camoils.com/

Lots of data in the drill down links.

About Our Oil
Ideal for * Vintage * Restored * Collector * Cars and Trucks

Collector Automobile Motor Oil

What you should know.
CAMO has been designed to meet the unique demand of vintage, preserved, restored and classic automobile engines. The oil contains preservatives to keep oil on the engine components even when the car is stored and not run frequently. It has a high concentration of ZDDP to protect valve-train components. The oil is formulated with detergents and dispersants to help keep your engine clean. Ideal for collector cars and great for “newer” muscle cars, street rods and older cars currently on the road. High-grade viscosity modifiers included in the formula do not significantly degrade with time and temperature. Provides adequate preservative detergents, dirt-catching dispersant and higher ZDDP concentrations to reduce engine wear, especially in the area of camshaft lobe to lifter friction.

What is ZDDP?
The most common anti-wear additives used in engines are zinc dialkyldithiophosphates (ZDDP). ZDDP has been used successfully for over 60 years, and to date no superior anti-wear additive has been developed for use on steel. ZDDP has an excellent track record at protecting the sliding metal-to-metal cam lifter interface. The film of zinc and phosphorus so formed provides a sacrificial wear surface protecting the base metal of the cam and lifter from wear. In the course of normal service, the conversion of ZDDP to elemental zinc and phosphorus depletes the ZDDP level in the oil. Studies show that depending on the specific engine and severity of duty, after 2000-4000 miles of operation, the level of ZDDP can drop below that considered adequate wear protection to the cam and lifters.

What has taken place.
As part of an effort to reduce vehicle emissions, the U.S. EPA offers vehicle manufacturers “credits” for early implementation as well as penalties for violation of emission reduction standards. The EPA’s program called for 100,000-mile catalytic converter life by 2004, 120,000 miles by 2007, and 150,000 miles by 2009. To achieve these goals, automotive manufactures pressured their oil suppliers to remove substances from motor oils that would shorten the service life, including the proven anti-wear additive ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate). Zinc and phosphorus from the ZDDP can be present in small amounts in the exhaust gas of an engine depending on the amount of oil which is consumed in combustion. Phosphorus in particular has been singled out as an element which can coat the catalyst reducing the amount of catalyst exposed to the exhaust gases and ultimately increasing emissions at the tailpipe. As a result of the EPA mandate, he phosphate level in engine oils (from the ZDDP) has been declining since the introduction of SJ oils in 1996.

Why we need these additives.
The SM category of motor oil has 600 to 800 ppm (parts per million) ZDDP. CJ-4 in the new motor oil category for diesel engines and this has reduced ZDDP as well. The reduction in the ZDDP concentration, unfortunately, can increase the engine friction and wear in our antique and classic cars. With reports that are currently available motor oils with the API-SM designation can cause extreme engine wear by many changes in the formulation of this oil.

Collector Automobile Motor Oil
Is sold as 15W 40 multi-grade viscosity for two reasons:
It is thinner at start up and therefore flows more quickly to wear points.
It is SAE40 at 212 degrees Fahrenheit and higher (engine-operating temperatures) and the viscosity does not decrease at higher temperatures as much as a single grade SAE40.
COLLECTOR AUTOMOBILE MOTOR OIL $6.25 per liter - $75.00 per case (plus tax).
For differences between types of vehicle oils click here
For additional information on our oil and ZDDP please click here and here

Why Use Our Oil?
Is your vehicle older than 1996? Your oil is probably killing your vehicle!

The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put the squeeze on car manufacturers to improve their emission levels. The manufacturers in turn put the squeeze on oil suppliers to reduce the amount of ZDDP from their motor oils. This means that older vehicles that have flat bottom lifters do not have the protection of ZDDP for wear between the lifters.

Contact US

Ron Moore : 1 – 403 – 808 – 8441 1 – 403 – 808 – 8441
Bob Zubkowski: 1 – 403 – 828 - 7168 1 – 403 – 828 - 7168

Email: specialtyoils@gmail.com
HOME

=================================================

2) Heres another Candain oil with decent zddp lvl.

CANADIAN/ESSO SD3-EXTRA-15W-40 DIESEL OIL

NOTE,THERE ARE 2 VERSIONS,OLDER CI & NEWER CJ PATSED BELOW WITH Z & P DATA.

1200-1300PPM ZINC/P (P CAN BE SLITHGLY LOWER THEN Z ) IS REC FOR SAFE HI PERF FLAT TAPPET CAM PROTECTION.

BUT FOR MIDDLE OF THE ROAD TO HOTTER FLAT TAPPET CAMS I LIKE TO HAVE A MINIMUM OF 1300-1400PPM ZDDP /ZINC & PHOS AT A MINIMUM.

HERE'S THE ZDDP /Z & P DATA:

Zinc OLDER CI VERSION- 1500PPM / NEWER CJ LOW EMISSION -1220PPM

Phosphorus OLDER CI VERSION-1370PPM/ NEWER CJ LOW EMISSION -1110PPM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE OLDER CI VERSION WITH 1500PPM-Z/1370PPM P IS GOOD FOR STOCK TO HOT FLAT TAPPET PERF CAMS GENERALLY ANY FLAT TAPET CAM .

NEWER CJ LOW EMISSIONS VERSION WITH 1220PPM-Z/1110PPM P IS STILL GOOD FOR STOCK TO VERY MILD RV PERF TYPE FLAT TAPPET CAMS.

NOTE:THE ABOVE ZDDP DATA IS DIRECTLY FROM CANADA'S ESSO WEBSITE & IS DATED 2/2009 SO ITS CURRENT ENOUGH.

================================================== ============

3) Here's a 3rd possible source.

ALSO,IF YOU CAN FIND THAT OIL IN CANADA CHEVRONS DELO 15W-40 DIESEL CJ LOW EMISSIONS-LE OIL HAS A LITTLE BETTER ZINC/P AT 1300PPM WHICH IS ALSO A GOOD ALT FOR FLAT TAPPET PROTECTION.

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
Old Mar 6th, 12, 7:40 PM
Tech Team

OK - I agree I have not looked in Camoil - Suppose I should - But you have got to consider the cost of phone calls I've already made

Forget about CI-4 or CI-4 Plus - It don't exist here - Thanks to the Conservative Harper Gov't.

Persuade me NOT to use a Rotella or Delvac / Lucas ZDDP Break In Additive Mix!
Old Mar 6th, 12, 7:51 PM
Team Member

Quote:
OK - I agree I have not looked in Camoil - Suppose I should - But you have got to consider the cost of phone calls I've already made

Forget about CI-4 or CI-4 Plus - It don't exist here - Thanks to the Conservative Harper Gov't.

Persuade me NOT to use a Rotella or Delvac / Lucas ZDDP Mix!
===========

Theres not only Camoil but theres also the canadian diesel oil and i think you may be able to get the newer CJ rated chevron delo with 1300ppm zddp in canada too ,could maybe speical order from local supplier .

But the Camoil alone should do the trick for ya but for breakin of new FT cam you would still need an additive like ZDDPLUS/GM EOS/Lucas TB Zinc (not the Lucas oil stabilizer some people mistake for their zddp additive) etc along with the camoil .

Also use something like crane's hi quality grey moly paste type assembly lube for new ft cam install because it stays put untill ya fire up the motor to breakin a new ft cam which can't be said for all the FT cam assembly lube on the market .

Scott
Old Mar 6th, 12, 7:54 PM
Tech Team

Sorry I called you Mike "Scott" but we are of the same Breed.

Will look into it and report back for CDN's.
Old Mar 6th, 12, 8:01 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Sorry I called you Mike "Scott" but we are of the same Breed.

Will look into it and report back for CDN's.
==============

NP & Look forword to your reply on the oil!

Good luck!

BTW,do you have any relatives in USA you could have ship you oil or zddp additives hidden inside other items or someplace in thier car where boarder patrol would not look unless they thought they were the type to be dealing drugs etc over the boarder!(HHHMMMMMM,JUST COULD WORK!!!!/LOL!!!!)

You could put enough ZDDP plus addive bottles in a spare tire to last you 20yrs !(LOL!!!!)

NAHHH!!!,JUST KIDDING!!!!!

Scott
Old Mar 6th, 12, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

a while back i dug around on the Mobil website and found the specs for the Mobil1 High Mileage oils that i use.. they had all the additive levels for all the oils Mobil makes listed in handy chart form.. they do kinda bury it and it took some fancy clicking past all the pretty marketing charts, but the stuff is there.. it might have been in the MSDS section.

-Hank Hill
Old Mar 8th, 12, 5:56 PM
Tech Team

As a Canadian living in Northern Ontario, I've pretty well decided what I'm going to do for this year and Motorcycle Wet Clutch compatible:

Forget CAMOIL - Closest Dealer is Winnipeg some 2000 klic's away @ $8.50/liter plus Tax and Shipping so am opting for Delvac 1300 13w-40 Super CJ-4 1000ppm ZDDP, because I'm use it with a CI-4 Plus 1500 ZDDP Base and JASCO. It's a great Oil holding it's viscosity and doesn't end up as "Pony Piss" @ $3.77/Liter and add 1 oz of Lucas TP Plus @ $1/oz to their CJ-4 API Formula will me approx 1530ppm ZDDP for 4.77/Liter Plus Tax and can pick it up within a 100 mile radius.

Not bad for 1550ppm ZDDP with a total of $4.77/liter plus Tax an drive a 300 klic round trip to Sudbury.

What is CAMOIL? Anyone here used it? Does it end up as "Pony Piss"? Over the counter Oils like Quaker State, no matter it's viscosity, is Piss in my opinion.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super call: PAUL LIZOTTE FUELS LTD, 1160 KELLY LAKE RD, SUDBURY,ON P3E 5P4: 1-705-673-5847 @ $3.77/liter.

Lucas TP Zinc Plus call: Terry Witrak, Sudbury: 1-705-566-9870 Approx $1/oz.

Valvoline VR1 and Special (NFR) is available only in Sudbury but it's SYN, not Wet Clutch compatible and cost considerably more. Then of course if anyone in their right mind can buy either Spectro or HD Dino or SYN HD 15w-50 for outrageous prices from their local Harley Shop - buy all means. Spectro Mineral 4 Stroke is also outrageously Priced. Other then CAMOIL (DINO or is it SYN - Wet Clutch compatible?- No reports from users or supplier), there is no Spectro X2 Motor-Guard in Canada. We can't get Camshield or ZDDP Plus but we can get Lucas TP Zinc Plus.

After 2 years research prove me to differ!

Last edited by z15cam; Mar 8th, 12 at 6:43 PM.
Old Mar 8th, 12, 6:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Elroy

Z15Cam, just go down to your local petro-canada petro-pass location in WPG, they have Duron 15W40, and or 10W40 and Duron Synthetic 5W40 all of which have over 1300ppms of zinc and will work well for you and will cost you way less than Amsoil, Lucas and all the specialty guys selling specialty marketed products. This is a huge way to make $, on virtually a label
Old Mar 8th, 12, 6:49 PM
Team Member

Quote:
As a Canadian living in Northern Ontario, I've pretty well decided what I'm going to do for this year and Motorcycle Wet Clutch compatible:

Forget CAMOIL - Closest Dealer is Winnipeg some 2000 klic's away @ $8.50/liter plus Tax and Shipping so am opting for Delvac 1300 13w-40 Super CJ-4 1000ppm ZDDP, because I'm use it with a CI-4 Plus 1500 ZDDP Base and JASCO. It's a great Oil holding it's viscosity and doesn't end up as "Pony Piss" @ $3.77/Liter and add 1 oz of Lucas TP Plus @ $1/oz to their CJ-4 API Formula will me approx 1530ppm ZDDP for 4.77/Liter Plus Tax and can pick it up within a 100 mile radius.

Not bad for 1550ppm ZDDP with a total of $4.77/liter plus Tax an drive a 300 klic round trip to Sudbury.

What is CAMOIL? Anyone here used it? Does it end up as "Pony Piss"? Over the counter Oils like Quaker State, no matter it's viscosity, is Piss in my opinion.

Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super call: PAUL LIZOTTE FUELS LTD, 1160 KELLY LAKE RD, SUDBURY,ON P3E 5P4: 1-705-673-5847 @ $3.77/liter.

Lucas TP Zinc Plus call: Terry Witrak, Sudbury: 1-705-566-9870 Approx $1/oz.

Valvoline VR1 and Special (NFR) is available only in Sudbury but it's SYN, not Wet Clutch compatible and cost considerably more. The of course is anyone in their right mind can buy either Spectro or HD Dino or SYN HD 15w-50 for outrageous prices from their local Harley Shop. Spectro Minerla 4 Stroke is also outragously Priced. Other then CAMOIL(DINO or is it SYN - Wet Clutch compatible?- No reports from users or supplier), there is no Spectro X2 Motor-Guard in Canada.
===============

Nope,not correct,VR1 valvoline also comes in std dino and syn so you can use the std dino,i currently have 6 qts of vr1 std dino 20-50 in my garage.

Also,did you ever try to track down chevrons delo 15-40 in newer CJ rating,it still has 1300ppm zddp so check that out too.

On the camoil,may be pricey but if it truely has 1600ppm zddp as advertised and is a decent base quality oil its worth the additonal cost for our cars/ft cam'd motors that arent daily drivers to ensure proper protection for the aftermarket perf motors.

I look at it this way,we generally change the oil in our FT cam'd motors 1x to 2x max yrly so when you really look at what we have invetsed in our cars/this hobby the additonal $30-40 your spend for that oil over a yr thats likely a good match for your setup should not be a big deal IMHO.

You have plenty of bucks tied up in your car & motor and are skimping $30-40 on getting the Camoil mixing matching dilesel & motorcycle oil ,doing that that makes no good sence to me at all,but its your car to do what ever you want with good or bad,thats for sure.

BTW,some yrs back prior to oil mfg's stepping up to mfg oil with more zddp for ft cams i asked mult oil mfgs about running bike oil with elevated zddp lvls in ft camd motors and they adimately rec against it every time due to different additive pkg the bike oils has vs needs of a pass car/ft cam'd muscle car motor.

Good luck.

Scott
Old Mar 8th, 12, 7:08 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66138 View Post
Z15Cam, just go down to your local petro-canada petro-pass location in WPG, they have Duron 15W40, and or 10W40 and Duron Synthetic 5W40 all of which have over 1300ppms of zinc and will work well for you and will cost you way less than Amsoil, Lucas and all the specialty guys selling specialty marketed products. This is a huge way to make $, on virtually a label
===============

Not really,the diesel oil served a purpose yrs back as a stop gap for ft cam protection but the fact is diesel oil has an additive pkg thats better suited for diesels with additonal detergent thats not best case esp when it comes to ZDDP.

Come on,you Canadians are tight wads!!!!!!/LOL!!!!!.(Just busting chops!!)

But if i were in your shoes living in Canada i'd research the Camoil better and if you find no good reason not to try it i'd go for it with its 1600ppm zdp lvl which should satisfy just about any FT cam app IMHO.

Happy motoring!

Scott
Old Mar 8th, 12, 10:55 PM
Tech Team

All PetroCan DURON CJ-4 either Syn or Dino have Sulphated Ash, % wt <1.0

DURON-E (DINO) exceeds the latest API SM gasoline engine oil specification and is suitable for gasoline and CNG applications where API SM or earlier specifications are required. Suitable for use in wet clutch applications where JASO MA or MA2 is recommended. Same Specs as Mobil Delvac 1300 Super CJ-4 and not 1300ppm ZDDP anymore but suitable for Diesel, gas and Motorcycle engines with Wet Clutch.

Valvoline Racing Oil - VR1 Racing Oil (VR1) - Specialty Racing Oil ("Not Street Legal") and Racing Synthetic (VR1) Motor Oil are all Synthetic and not Wet Clutch compatible - Valvoline no longer make a DINO Racing Oil product.

CANADIAN/ESSO SD3-EXTRA-15W-40 DIESEL OIL don't exist anymore - Now Mobil Delvac and CHEVRON DELO 15W-40 DIESEL CJ-4 don't exist in CDA either. For DINO Oil your looking at Mobil Delvac, PetroCan Duron-E and Shell Rotella. Everything else is either a Blend or Syn and not Wet Clutch compatible. Spectro DINO 4 Stroke 10w40 is available. Other then Lucas TP Zinc Plus no other Zn/P additive is available.

It appears that Major Oil Co's today are geared to make ONLY Blended and Syn products for Automotive use but will continue to produce, for the time being, a Low Sulphate Ash, 1000ppm ZDDP content, Industrial Dino Product that is formulated for use in Diesels, Gas and Motorcycles. EPA API STD's specify that Sulpated Ash level be <0.5 by the end of 2012 & probably API labelled CK-4/SN.

If you drain 1oz from either Delvac or Duron-E and add 1 oz of Lucas TP Zinc Plus you would have 1600ppm ZDDP content - It makes me suspicious about CAMOIL - What Lab makes this Product? I Googled "What Laboratory makes Classic Automotive Automobile CAMOIL" and ended up back at this very thread - LOL

On a side Note: Modern engines have about done away with Babbitt Bearings and use lighter Multi-Valve trains with low Spring Pressures. Our Classic Engines with big Babbitt Bearings, Flat-Tappet Metal/Metal interfaces and Heavy 2 Valve Heads with Hi-Spring Pressures will take a beating with todays oil if we don't stay on top of the situation. Zn/P has been around for a long time to protect our engines and Oil Companies have reformulated and introducing Synethic Friction Modifies that protect Catalytics in order to meet EPA Emmissions. This is making Zn/P production scarce if not illegal.

Last edited by z15cam; Mar 9th, 12 at 1:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 Super CJ-4 ZDDP
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.