1967 Chevelle SS unrestored - what's it worth? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old Feb 28th, 12, 1:39 PM
Tech Team
Jay

Default 1967 Chevelle SS unrestored - what's it worth?

All,

I have lurked here for some time, but never posted, so I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries by dropping a 'what's it worth' question on my first post. I am seriously in the market for a '67 SS to restore, and have found a candidate. Although not exactly what I want (I would like a Nantucket blue SS 4sp w/ blue buckets), it looks like a car I could talk myself into liking or make it into what I want. I like originality in my cars and have a problem with details; I tend to pay too much attention to them. With that being said, I want some opinions on this car and what it may be worth, both as it sits (I haven't bought it yet) and restored to original condition. I have tried to document all the issues I saw as snapped pictures as well. There is a link at the bottom of this post.

The Details:

Original 138 vin SS car. Original color Mountain Green (H) with Black Vinyl top. Interior decodes to Black Vinyl buckets. Not sure exactly how to decode the options on this body tag, but I do believe one letter designates deluxe seat belts, as these were in the car.

Number matching 396. Decodes as 325hp 396 with Turbo 400. Carb has been replaced and original air cleaner is missing.

RF Fender damaged when moved to current location, some rust issues

Passenger door sill shows rust

Passenger door looks solid

Original vinyl roof missing. Rust damage near roof drip rail.

Interior complete (missing carpet). Instrument panel only has dummy lights, no gauges.

Floor pans are solid (amazing)

RR Quarter panel rusted badly

Package tray and area between rear window pillars badly rusted

Trunk pan rusted (completely)

LR Quarter has rust similar to RR Quarter

Drivers door sills look solid

Drivers door has small amount of rust

LF Fender has rust

Front bumper is damaged (bent in multiple places)

The seller has none of the original documentation (window sticker, invoice, protecto plate, owner's manual, etc).

What are your opinions on this vehicle? What should I offer the seller? What's reasonable to expect to pay?

Links to photos can be found here:
http://photobucket.com/67chevelle

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 28th, 12, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Default Re: 1967 Chevelle SS unrestored - what's it worth?

No documentation, base engine, automatic, sounds like extensive rust (roof, rear deck, trunk floor, both quarters, door sill, both fenders)... accident damage... Sounds like alot of rust, and therefore maybe alot more hidden...

Not the colors YOU wanted. Not Blue/Blue and not a 4-speed...

Pluses: buckets, console?, Matching numbers engine...

You want a car to restore, but do you want a car that needs alot of panel replacement? It can become very expensive unless you think you can handle that aspect yourself...

I haven't looked at the pictures, but IMO, I don't think I'd pay more than $7000, and probably not even that much... Sounds like a rust bucket without too many redeaming qualities... If I really wanted Blue/Blue, then my offer would be even lower on the Green/Black...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Feb 28th, 12, 2:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Do you plan on restoring the car yourself? I looked at the pictures,it will take some work.
If you can't restore it yourself,you will be upside cash wise very quick and wish you bought a finished car.
The pluses are: it still has the original motor and its obviously a real SS..any more pictures of it? What does the seller want for it?
Old Feb 28th, 12, 2:15 PM
Tech Team
Jay

1966_L78,
My plan to to 'mostly' replace the panels myself. I have a friend that owns a body shop that is willing to lend a hand. I agree with you on the pluses. The original drivetrain is what's weighing on my decision. I'm not familiar enough with old Chevelles to determine how often an unrestored matching number car become available.

Mr4Speed
Seller has not given a price yet (which is what worries me). Just in talking, it may have more sentimental value than market value. That's part of what I'm trying to determine.

I forgot to add that the motor is locked up. Also, the last inspection was in 1982 (taken off the road then, not real sure why) and it has been in dry storage for 20 years or so. Based on my calculation, there is about 10 years where I'm not sure where it sat (garaged, outside)? This is the time between when it was taken off the road and when it was put in storage.
Old Feb 28th, 12, 2:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Looks to me like a frame off is needed. That means a fairly heavy investment. May end up with investing more in the car than it is worth. That is ok if you are looking to do a project but if you are looking for value you would be better off with a car that is finished. Even if that means spending $25K or more on one. This car will probably take you over that $25K mark by the time it is all finished. I would pay maybe $4K for the car in its present condition definately not more than $5K.
Also think if you want a 4 speed you will tire quickly with this one unless you swap it over.
Old Feb 28th, 12, 2:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

This car is in sad shape. It looks like it needs every single panel replaced.

Even with the original engine, this car looks like its worth $1500. Put it this way, if it wasn't an SS it would go to the crusher.

If you can't do the metal work, there is no reason to buy this car.
Old Feb 28th, 12, 3:18 PM
Tech Team

Those colors would be a stunner when done in my opinion.
Old Feb 28th, 12, 3:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerbird View Post
Those colors would be a stunner when done in my opinion.
Agreed. I think Mountain Green is an amazing color. I met a guy with a 67 El Camino with a 396 & 4 speed. Mountain Green with a black interior. Beautiful combo!
Old Feb 28th, 12, 3:38 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

You are correct about the deluxe belts, it's the Y in group 5. FWIW, the W is for tinted windows (all), Z (in group 2) is the TH400, and G is the console.

I had an H2 coded Malibu years ago and it was a nice enough color.

(not mine)

If you heart is set on a Nantucket Blue car with blue interior you might hold out for a little while longer. I agree with Pete 67, if it wasn't an SS with the original engine, it'd be too far gone to put money into it.
TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
* I only report what I read. If they're wrong, I'm wrong.
* ChevelleStuff - Decoding info for 64-72
* 1966/1967 Chevelle Reference CD
* Chevelle, HHR, Nomad Registeries
Old Feb 28th, 12, 6:14 PM
Team Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
No documentation, base engine, automatic, sounds like extensive rust (roof, rear deck, trunk floor, both quarters, door sill, both fenders)... accident damage... Sounds like alot of rust, and therefore maybe alot more hidden...

Not the colors YOU wanted. Not Blue/Blue and not a 4-speed...

Pluses: buckets, console?, Matching numbers engine...

You want a car to restore, but do you want a car that needs alot of panel replacement? It can become very expensive unless you think you can handle that aspect yourself...

I haven't looked at the pictures, but IMO, I don't think I'd pay more than $7000, and probably not even that much... Sounds like a rust bucket without too many redeaming qualities... If I really wanted Blue/Blue, then my offer would be even lower on the Green/Black...

I agree with tony on this, i have looked in my area,rusty north east and can not find a ss with it's matching engine for under 5k rusted or not.$1500 wont buy it. i looked at a 50k mile car here with a rebuilt original engine and 4 speed and original rear,blue,black gut,no gauges,non air no power steering,it is solid from the quarters forward, i thought 10k but he wants 15k.it is in way better shape than that one.
Old Feb 28th, 12, 7:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Read old posts about guys buying cars that need a few panels replaced and maybe a frame off. You'll find the majority give up. For all you can see wrong , there is that much more you don't see. Unless you can approach a major resto like a job and give it the 30-50 hours a week it requires, and do it yourself, not depend on somebody else, you'll be nowhere in 2-3 years and wondering why you ever bought it. Be honest with yourself and think about buying a done car. It won't be any more money in the long run and you will have a running car.

Besides all that it is an auto!
Old Feb 28th, 12, 8:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

There's better stuff out there, you just have spend the time looking, just talked to a customer an hour ago, who just found a 72, sitting in a garage since 93, body needs NO work, and he had his bodyman check it out, base model, 2 door, nothing special, but the price is 2 grand, told him if he doesn't buy it I will, and I don't need it.
Old Feb 28th, 12, 8:16 PM
Tech Team
Jay

To what extent does the auto hurt the value?

Is the color combo rare or unusual?

When I saw the car I didn't think it was all that bad, but I've seen some rust buckets in my life.

Keep the comments coming, this has been extremely helpful
Old Feb 28th, 12, 8:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Birdwell Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Birdwell

Original motor, 138 car.... I see about $3000 worth here. LOTS of ru$t on this one. Do yourself a favor and go down south and get a better starting point, no matter what the expense. Even doing it ALL yourself, I see $3-5000 in just sheetmetal here, and you're still stuck working with repro stuff.
00 24' Haulmark enclosed trailer
01 GMC Sierra SLE
06 Cobalt LTZ
Wanted-1976 Nova SS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: 1967 Chevelle SS unrestored - what's it worth?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.