How to remove chrome strips along roofline - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Feb 11th, 12, 2:49 PM
Tech Team
Hunter

Arrow How to remove chrome strips along roofline

How would you remove this chrome along the roofline?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3757.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	49820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3758.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	49821  

1966 Chevelle ss396
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 12, 2:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Al

Default Re: How to remove chrome strips along roofline

The drip rail is easy.

Take off the small on first where the 2 pieces meet. I've been able to do it with my fingers, careful not to get cut. Put your fingers under it and roll it UP until it snaps loose. Then roll the others the same way up. Gripping from the underside and rolling up or forward for the front piece. Start at the front for the top rail working the piece off to the rear gradually to avoid bending.

Not sure on the other trim piece. Never done one of those. Can look it up if no one responds. I'm guessing some sort clip arrangement on welded studs or screws through the back with nuts.
Old Feb 11th, 12, 3:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve "Dirty"

Some of those pieces are glued on so heat it up with a blow dryer or a heat gun. The heat gun from a distance.
Old Feb 11th, 12, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jerry

the lower piece of molding around the sail panel is held on with studs/clips work it loose carefully. the upper piece is as stated by Al.

70-Elky

67-SS 396-Original-Owner
Project-67-Elky
Old Feb 11th, 12, 5:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

None of it is glued on a 66 ...

The rear V-shaped part of the vinyl top moldings have 3 nuts on each side that you can get to from inside the trunk. Remove those and pull the studs out of the holes, then you can pull that piece loose from the striaght piece on the side of the car. Then the straight piece has clips that hold it on. If you are very careful you can pop it off the clips, or better yet use a soft wood block and tap the rear end to slide the piece forward until it lets go of the clips.

The drip rail mldgs can be removed as suggested above, although it is darn hard to do with your hands. I always remove the roof-rail weatherstrip and its retainer first, then you can work from the inside of the car and use a wood block to tap the bottom edge of the mldg outward. Start at the front and go only until you get about half way between the back of the door glass and the curved part of the molding. Then start again at the bottom rear end and work your way up to near the curve. Then work a little from both sides of the cuve, going back and forth, until it pops off last at the curve.

If you try to go all the way from the front to the back, or all the way from the back to the front, you will bend the mldg at the curved area. The curve needs to pop loose last.

Good luck!
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (Survivor 66 Picture Album)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
Old Feb 11th, 12, 5:50 PM
Tech Team
Hunter

Thumbs up Re: How to remove chrome strips along roofline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
The drip rail is easy.

Take off the small on first where the 2 pieces meet. I've been able to do it with my fingers, careful not to get cut. Put your fingers under it and roll it UP until it snaps loose. Then roll the others the same way up. Gripping from the underside and rolling up or forward for the front piece. Start at the front for the top rail working the piece off to the rear gradually to avoid bending.

Not sure on the other trim piece. Never done one of those. Can look it up if no one responds. I'm guessing some sort clip arrangement on welded studs or screws through the back with nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
Some of those pieces are glued on so heat it up with a blow dryer or a heat gun. The heat gun from a distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Briggs View Post
the lower piece of molding around the sail panel is held on with studs/clips work it loose carefully. the upper piece is as stated by Al.
Thanks for the info! My dad and I and working on it now!

1966 Chevelle ss396
Old Feb 11th, 12, 5:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I've never tried it myself but I've heard several people say that they used an old time beer bottle opener wrapped in electrical tape to gently pry off the molding.

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club #01
Old Feb 11th, 12, 6:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I've never tried it myself but I've heard several people say that they used an old time beer bottle opener wrapped in electrical tape to gently pry off the molding.
You can, but I've seen people ruin it with one too. I prefer to use a block of wood as mentioned. Block's larger face to distribute force will not leave a pry mark like a church key.
Old Feb 11th, 12, 6:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve "Dirty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by modchevelle View Post
I was just giving heads up. I know on my 68 that is what it is. i dont know what a 66 is but I hate to see parts get ruined.
Old Feb 11th, 12, 9:59 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

I have always been told that a bottle opener used slowly will help in removing the drip rail molding good luck. wayne
Old Feb 11th, 12, 10:39 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjspindler View Post
I have always been told that a bottle opener used slowly will help in removing the drip rail molding good luck. wayne
Never, ever use a can or bottle opener on them unless you have a new set to install after you've ruined them. They dent very easily so, as already mentioned, use your fingers. Getting started is the hard part but once you do it'll come off fairly easy. Patience is the key when it comes to drip rail moldings.
355 sbc, 10.2 comp, Trick Flow 195 heads, RPM Air gap, Holley 3310, Bullet 224/230 .483/.485, Hedmans, 200-4R, 10" 2,800, 4.10 12 bolt.....and factory a/c
http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...t=Buick007.jpg
Old Feb 11th, 12, 10:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Elroy

I just took the 66 to the bodyshop today with the same question. I had started the drip mldg off with my hands but it was tough. He took about a 2 " flat spoon and tapped the bottom side out easily
Old Feb 12th, 12, 8:13 PM
Tech Team
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
None of it is glued on a 66 ...

The rear V-shaped part of the vinyl top moldings have 3 nuts on each side that you can get to from inside the trunk. Remove those and pull the studs out of the holes, then you can pull that piece loose from the striaght piece on the side of the car. Then the straight piece has clips that hold it on. If you are very careful you can pop it off the clips, or better yet use a soft wood block and tap the rear end to slide the piece forward until it lets go of the clips.

The drip rail mldgs can be removed as suggested above, although it is darn hard to do with your hands. I always remove the roof-rail weatherstrip and its retainer first, then you can work from the inside of the car and use a wood block to tap the bottom edge of the mldg outward. Start at the front and go only until you get about half way between the back of the door glass and the curved part of the molding. Then start again at the bottom rear end and work your way up to near the curve. Then work a little from both sides of the cuve, going back and forth, until it pops off last at the curve.

If you try to go all the way from the front to the back, or all the way from the back to the front, you will bend the mldg at the curved area. The curve needs to pop loose last.

Good luck!
Thanks! We decided to attempt it next weekend. We took out most of the interior and badging on the car this weekend!

1966 Chevelle ss396
Old Mar 17th, 12, 8:07 PM
Tech Team
Hunter

We haven't got to the trim yet (we've been taking of bumpers etc.).

Looking through the opgi catalog we found this trim removal tool.

Has anybody used it?

http://www.opgi.com/p/body-moldings-...5/CVT0039.html

Thanks!

1966 Chevelle ss396
Old Mar 17th, 12, 9:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-aztec-bronze View Post
We haven't got to the trim yet (we've been taking of bumpers etc.).

Looking through the opgi catalog we found this trim removal tool.

Has anybody used it?

http://www.opgi.com/p/body-moldings-...5/CVT0039.html

Thanks!
That molding removal tool is designed for windshield/rear window stainless removal not driprail molding. It can assist you with the driprail but you gotta be real careful. I use mine to run it along the small curled edge on the bottom of the molding and just give it a little pressure to open up the crimp being careful not to pry. Keep in mind the early cars used aluminum for the driprail while 68-72 used stainless.

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: How to remove chrome strips along roofline
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.