4 wheel disc brake conversion gone bad - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Nov 27th, 11, 1:56 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Default 4 wheel disc brake conversion gone bad

Hey guys, It's been a while since I've been around but I have a problem I don't know how to remedy. My wife just recently bought a 69 Camaro and of course it has an SSBC 4 wheel disc brake conversion ( single piston calipers ) The cars rear wheels when jacked up off the ground just spin right through the brakes at idle in gear. I have bled the brakes many times and even bought an SSBC after market dist. block with a built in adjustable proportioning valve to replace the factory Prop valve that was there already. I have even replaced the master cylinder with an A1 cardone ( 77-82 corvette style ) thinking maybe it was that. None of these helped in the least. when I bleed the rear calipers the brake fluid comes out very slow. I should also mention that the previous owner didn't put the emergency brake cable system back on. I have read a few posts that mentioned something about having to adjust the emergency brake first otherwise this caused problems. The pedal feels like crap also traveling 1/2 to 3/4 down before getting any restance. The kit is pretty new and driven on very little, can anyone help me???? Steak dinner on me if you can!!!!! I was looking for intructions from SSBC on the installation process so I could check over everything but nope can't find.

Thanks, Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 27th, 11, 2:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Default Re: 4 wheel disc brake conversion gone bad

If this is the style of caliper with a park brake arm that actuates the piston for the park brake, then yes you need to hook up and regularly use the park brake. Take a big pair of Channellocks or something and actuate the park brake on each caliper a few times, and see if the pedal comes up, it should.
Good luck, Jim.
Old Nov 27th, 11, 2:24 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Yes they are the internal parking brake calipers. I tried that on each caliper using a srcew driver as a lever, unless I didn't get a good enough stroke on it. It didn't help any but the emergency brake does work when I engage it with the lever on the caliper.
Old Nov 27th, 11, 2:31 PM
Tech Team
lawrence

I am getting ready to put a rear disc brake conversion on my chevelle the foot e=brake is broken when I put the kit on will I have to have the e-brake hooked up to have the proper pedal or do I just have to adjust it and call it a day?

Tuff71 please post when you have solved your dilema please
Old Nov 27th, 11, 5:10 PM
Tech Team
Jason

I will post when I find the problem, but keep the idea's coming please.
Old Nov 27th, 11, 6:41 PM
Gold Founding Member
Thomas

The rear rubber hose may be collapsed not letting fluid through.
ACES 2759
PeachState Chevelles
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/albu...pictureid=6381
66 malibu wagon, 327, AC, pw.
67 chevelle 300 deluxe post, LT1-4L60E, 3:36-10 bolt posi,AC,tilt,pw,pl, Autometer gauges,custom dash

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary,
too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Ludlow, 1824
Old Nov 27th, 11, 6:55 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino66 View Post
The rear rubber hose may be collapsed not letting fluid through.

I thought of that also as it doesn't look like it has been replaced. I will order one tomrroww.
Old Nov 27th, 11, 10:59 PM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

it'll end up being the park brake adjustment. take cable and the return spring off. use channelocks to actuate the lever as far as it will go. make sure it will stay there or hold it there. loosen the nut that holds the lever on but be careful, it's possible to push the stud into the caliper. PITA then. any way, take the lever off and rotate it back one notch and put it back on. This will be 1/6 turn since it's hex head. Let it push it back to the stop like the spring does. Again use channellocks to actuate the lever, see if you can do it again. do it as many times as you can to tighten up the e-brake adjustment. Do the other side too.

While you're under there look carefully at the mounting position of the caliper. Many of the aftermarket brackets don't mount the caliper with bleeder at the highest point. You'll never get the brakes bled if it's like this. Mine was a PITA because the brake line and the cable kept it from rotating back far enough to get the bleeder straight straight up. Some guys pulled the caliper and put a block of wood between the pads or used a c-clamp to hold the piston from coming out while bleeding. On this part do the passenger side first. In fact, I would do the bleeding first, then jack around with the e-brake adjustment.

Clear as mud? good.

Plan on getting a park brake cable on it. Soon.
Old Nov 28th, 11, 9:36 AM
Tech Team
Jason

Thanks Tom, great info. I was wondering how to adjust those correctly. I got under the car yesterday and tried to stick a screw driver in the parking brake arm and move it ( maybe a 1/4 turn was all I got ) but to no avail so I'll try your tonight, thanks again.
Old Nov 29th, 11, 8:15 PM
TerribleTom II

1/4 turn is a lot. that's more than the 1/6 turn.
Old Nov 29th, 11, 9:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I'm using a CPP 4 wheel disc setup with e brake. I remember what a PIA it is to bleed the rear brake calipers. I'm using the stock Disc proportion valve. One thing you want to do
initially do is to open both rear bleeders at the same time and have helper press down pedal,while holding down ,tighten bleeders.Repeat until both sides have fluid coming out evenly.
Once that has been done bleed farthest away from brake MC 1st, and than work your way forward. This works great when using stock proportion valves so the circuit does not close .
The e brake is a pain to set and has to be used often to keep the e-brake working correctly so the adjustments does not loose the effectiveness. Good luck!!
496 Doug Nash 5speed 3:08 rear gear
http://mysite.verizon.net/res6olza/67SS138
North Texas Chevelles
http://www.northtexaschevelles.com/
Old Nov 30th, 11, 10:27 AM
Tech Team
Jason

Well guys, sorry I didn't post this earlier but I installed the new rubber line in the rear the other night and bled the brakes. There was definately some resistance in that old hose, much more than the new one anyway. I'm getting clamping force on the rear calipers now but still not enough to keep the rear wheels from spinning through the brakes at idle. I think now I'm dealing with a low vacuum issue and will swap the SSBC vacuum pump out of my car tonight to the wifes camaro and see if that helps. I'm only getting about 16* of vaccume at idle on a small booster.

Thanks, Jason
Old Nov 30th, 11, 4:11 PM
TerribleTom II

16 is enough. Is it a dual diaphragm booster?
Old Nov 30th, 11, 11:17 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
16 is enough. Is it a dual diaphragm booster?

I would have thought 16 was good enough also but I was just going off of what SSBC was recomending. I don't know if it is a dual diaphragm booster or not, how do you tell? The vacuume pump didn't help AT ALL!! I'm getting so pissed that I can't figure this out.
Old Dec 1st, 11, 12:04 AM
Tech Team
Jason

Now I've been reading of people using 1" bore masters off of 67-76 manual brake vettes instead of the 1 1/8th like I used off a 77-82 vette with power disc brakes. The SSBC master that I took off was a 1 1/8th" so I replaced it with an A1 cardone just do be sure the master was not the problem. Now I don't know what to do ( see previous post )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: 4 wheel disc brake conversion gone bad
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.