1966 chevelle heater core replacement - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

Old Nov 26th, 11, 4:47 PM
John

Default 1966 chevelle heater core replacement

I have a 66 chevelle SS convert. I need to replace my heater core. I was wondering if anyone had any helpfull hints or suggestions on the easiest way to do this? i never did a heater core before and im a little hestitant if I should do it myself or have a professional mech. do it. Also do i need to purchase a gasket kit? ANY FEEDBACK WOULD HELP, THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 26th, 11, 5:31 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Default Re: 1966 chevelle heater core replacement

Having just done this job this last summer, I can give you some of my thoughts. First, it helps to be a bit of a contortionist, as you have to do some of it from inside the car and some of it from under the hood. By all means, get a new gasket/seal kit for the heater...You won't want to do this job again for a long while and if the heater has never been rebuilt, the gaskets will be dry, brittle and in need of replacement. Also, plan on taking out the glove box door and liner...this will help provide access on the inside part. You will also need to remove the fender well/liner on the passenger side to get access to some of the case bolts. No real magic to it, just a PITA to get to some of screws and bolts. If all this scares ya...pay someone to do it for ya. One more thing, if you want to postpone the job for a while, go to NAPA and get a coupler for the two different size hoses, and bypass the core....no heat...but no leaks in the car either.
Old Nov 27th, 11, 9:09 PM
John

Ok, I got the heater core out. Now I have one more question, Should i replace the blower motor and the cage wheel ?
Old Nov 27th, 11, 9:30 PM
Team Member
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan66Elkie View Post
... just a PITA ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockjr26 View Post
Ok, I got the heater core out. Now I have one more question, Should i replace the blower motor and the cage wheel ?
I have 2- '65s and they both have the original parts mentioned, so as long as the blower spins freely and it works OK, I wouldn't change it.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...u/GoldSS01.jpg

Driving a musclecar, "PRICELESS"
Old Dec 3rd, 11, 4:21 PM
Team Member

I would keep the blower and metal cage. I think they only make plastic replacements. I also had my original harrison heater core fixed.
Old Dec 11th, 11, 5:27 PM
John

UPDATE on heater core replacement, I have one final question and then i think im done. The lower heater core pipe is real close to my valve cover, can i cut the pipe ? or is there some kind of 45/90 degree angle adapter i can buy ?
Old Dec 11th, 11, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
JAY

I wouldn't cut the pipe, I used a heater hose with 90 degree end on it to get hose away from engine. If blower motor isan't a PITA to change, leave it alone., J
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro convertible
Old Dec 26th, 11, 6:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

The heater on a non ac 66 is pretty easy, (compared to the last three I have done in Fox Mustangs).

I removed the inner fender and did not have the glove box installed at the time. It has to be removed.

Otherwise it was straightforward. I had planned ahead and had a repro heater box gasket set on hand, but it seems that some body seam sealer could be used. Still not sure if the floor insulation pad goes between the inside box and the firewall. Mine was roached so its missing in that area. I had also rehabbed the heater switch and cables, and figured out how they installed.

Took about six hours. I did have a new inside box cleaned and painted, ready to go.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Heating & Cooling      Current Topic: 1966 chevelle heater core replacement
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.