Exhaust/Gas Smell Inside of Car. Please Help! - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Nov 22nd, 11, 8:22 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Default Exhaust/Gas Smell Inside of Car. Please Help!

I hope this post finds everyone well. I will try to be as detailed as possible.
1. The car starts and runs fine upon start up.
2. Once running, the car is emitting a strong exhaust/gas smell.
3. After driving the car to a destination or point, the exhaust/gas smell has “statured” the car and is very noticeable on our clothes, hair, etc.
4. Upon reentering the car, “she” starts back up and drives fine, but again the strong exhaust/gas smell.
In being detailed in this post, I must state that the headers are hooked up but that the exhaust system stops “midway” to the back of the car. In other words, the pipes do not run all the way to the back and out of mufflers. I am thinking that when they “rebuilt” the motor, the cut the fuel lines and exhaust and I know that a new exhaust system is need.
1. If the pipes are not extended all the way back, but only about midways (no further than the back of the front seat) would this cause the exhaust to “rise” back up into the car?
2. As with matters of this nature, everyone is an expert. Someone told me it’s not the exhaust at all but a leak from the engine/carburetor. Possibly the carburetor/engine is running “rich”.
3. In my “non-expert” opinion, I think a “full exhaust with mufflers” running to the back will “channel” the smoke exhaust straight to the rear outside of the car and not inside.
Again, I thank you for all suggestions and can reply with more details as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 11, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Default Re: Exhaust/Gas Smell Inside of Car. Please Help!

Do you have the cowl seal in place on the car (rubber piece running the length of the hood on the cowl) When I first had my car this piece was missing and I would get exhaust/gas smells in the car when moving. Installing this seal made a big difference.

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive"

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...all_09_010.jpg
Old Nov 22nd, 11, 8:56 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Default Surmin69

I don't think it is. Can this be purchased from a regular auto store or do I need to do through ssgroundup etc.
Old Nov 22nd, 11, 9:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Most of the restoration places will have it. local parts houses will not.

Running the exhaust out to the back will help also.

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive"

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...all_09_010.jpg
Old Nov 22nd, 11, 9:13 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Running the exhaust out to the back will help also.

I'm thinking this will help as well. Thanks a million.
Old Nov 22nd, 11, 10:28 PM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

You'll never get rid of the smell as long as the exhaust exits in front of the rear axle. get tailpipes first. and soon, that exhaust you're smelling is loaded with CO, not a good breathing thing.
Old Nov 22nd, 11, 10:52 PM
Bob

Aaron....Tom made an all too important point. Carbon monoxide poisoning is something too take seriously my friend. As stated, would highly advise too get those tailpipes installed.
Perhaps also consider a good tune-up.....sounds like she's running a wee bit rich !!!??!
Old Nov 22nd, 11, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

the inside of the car is a low pressure area when the car is moving- this is why the fresh air vents work- which means that air will get sucked in from anywhere there is a little hole.. unless the bottom of the car is sealed up like a boat, having the exhaust end under the car is a good way to guarantee that you will suck fumes in from under the car. getting the exhaust out from under the car will get it away from any place that will allow it to get inside the car.. but you sill might notice a little bit of a smell if your trunk isn't perfectly sealed up.

-Hank Hill
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 7:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Unlike a new car where everything is controlled by a computer,air/fuel ratio kept perfect,etc. and even with everything sealed up,you will still get some kind of exhaust or "old car smell"
But,running a full exhaust,not having any leaks in the system,cowl seal all do help but it will not be perfect.
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 9:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

Great info here, thanks.

Got some of this in the 66, or just noticed it this summer. Probably because I use it more and more, and have the other issues knocked down.

But with the drivers window open, and especially with the vent open, I smell exhaust. With the pass window also open, its ok. With the kickpanel vent open, and, or the heater on its ok. Windows closed ok.

So, this led to the redneck floor resto that I regaled you all with in gory detail on some other posts, to seal the front floors. Then I realized the trunk gasket had shrunk, so I sealed it, sealed the trunk floor a bit better, closed up the old shifter cable hole in the floor. Dont have a cowl to hood seal, but will get asap. Got a couple more holes where the steering column to cowl is missing some bolts. Got some rust around the trunk gasket channel. And no headliner, so the trunk is open to the backseat sail panel area.

Kind of annoying, because the new exhaust is tight all the way back and the old one had rusted through tailpipes.
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Also there are some plastic plugs on the firewall. If there are any emiisions from the engine, IE blowby or header leaks, it goes right into the car. I 100% suggest you run your exhaust out the rear of the car.

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2006 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n587/oldcutlass/

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...lass/plymouth/
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 3:32 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Spent the better part of today pricing exhaust sytems and most places are saying $150.00 and about 1 1/2 hours to complete. Thanks for the advice on the trunk as I know it has to be replaced with a new trunk floor. Also, at some point I'm going to put the car on a "lift" to fully check the floor pans etc. I will keep the community informed of the progress, and as always, thanks a million for all of the advice. Please know that it is well received.
Old Nov 24th, 11, 4:24 AM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

$150? Wow, things are cheap where you live. get it before they change their minds.
Old Nov 24th, 11, 9:10 AM
Tech Team
Chad

What are you getting for $150? Seems cheap.Real cheap.

There are some nice mandrel bent full systems out there, You'll pay more than $150, but they are designed to fit right.

As an alternative, you could put a 90 degree (or 45 degree if there is room) bend after the muffler to get the exhaust out the side of the car before the back tire. If I do this, I like to try and get a 45 degree bend in there as I feel it mor directs the gases out and away from the car better than a 90. But the point is to get it out away from the car---just have others have said.

CO posioning is not to be messed around with. Years ago some of the fumes never bothered me, but today I am pretty sensative to it---which makes doing old car stuff a battle. I just finished doing some maintance on my snowblower the other night, I started it up in the garage just to make sure it started---it did and ran for all of 20 seconds and I had to get out of the garage. A friend of mine warmed up his car in his garage (both overhead doors open) and within a half hour I was sick and throwing up and was nautious the rest of the night. It is serious stuff and can knock you out and kill you. Seal up all those opened holes up with plugs or silicone, get the exhaust out from under the car, and stay safe.
Mopar guy building a Chevy.

454, PP heads, dual 500cfm carbs and 'Vette manifiolds...First time out..Tire spin for half track

454 semi budget build Part1 followed by PartII
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
Old Nov 24th, 11, 9:21 PM
Tech Team
Aaron

Default 383ram

$150 is just to finish extending the pipes. After futher checking, it does not include the mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Exhaust/Gas Smell Inside of Car. Please Help!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.