CPP stage 4 pro-touring suspension kit - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old Nov 20th, 11, 5:06 PM
Tech Team
Scottie

Default CPP stage 4 pro-touring suspension kit

Has any of you used this kit. how do you like it? http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6467PTK-4.htm
if you have used any of the cpp suspension parts. please, give me some feed back on your experience with the products.

i'm planning my next chevelle project. which consists of the following,
vortec (carb style) supercharged 505 bbc,
CPP's stage 4 pro touring kit with 13 inch disc brakes, (above link) with 2 inch drop spindle also from cpp.
99 maxima seats and counsel.
this is the dash i already have. i will be using 30535ZR18's up front and 31530ZR19s out back. this car is going to be used for autocross and, street driving. please tell me your thoughts good or bad id like to hear them and if the tire package is going to be a hard to deal with on the street. give an alternative please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my dash.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	46875  

Check out the Ride!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ3Yt...ature=youtu.be

1971 Chevelle SS
511ci BBC
4L80E with a 3500 stall
Moser 12 bolt W/3.73 gears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 11, 5:44 PM
Tech Team
Frank

Default Re: CPP stage 4 pro-touring suspension kit

I would not purchase even the most basic part from CPP. Their customer service is horrid and while the parts are usually functional they tend to be lower quality knock offs of other parts you could get for only marginally more.

This specific kit looks to be well thought out at least. Many of the parts are likely sourced from the same places other vendors buy from but if you have any issues you will be up a creek more often than not.

For a complete set up your options are limited but you could look to hotckins and Global west. However, If I were doing it again I would still break this down into a few subsystems and decide what you want.

Brakes - Stainless Steel Brakes will be good quality and improved over stock (good prices on these at Matt's Classic Bowties). Or if you have the wheels to support them you can always step up to Kore3 Vette brakes or Wilwood.

Front suspension. I know everyone parrots this but MArk at S C and C really does know his stuff and has much better customer service than SPP even if he is slightly harder to get a hold of. It might be the next day hear back but At least he will not leave you hanging for months like CPP has to multiple people in the past.
He can set you up with a good setup for what you want and probably save money over the CPP crap front arms.

Rear control arms are more for looks unless you need to adjust pinion angle but SCC, UMI, and about a dozen others offer good options if you need them. Edit- just remembered the supercharged BBC. you probably do need these along with the support braces.

What year? The picture you linked seems to be for 64-67 unless CPP is reusing the picture for a different set of years. I do not know what you can get on the later ones but you will probably not be able to get 305s up front on a 64-67 without some interesting modifications.

You can fit 315s on the rear of 66-67 with perfect backspacing but will need a frame notch to fit that on 64-65s.
Old Nov 20th, 11, 6:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Seeing the Covan dash pic he posted........it's a 70-72.
377 sb, 5 speed, 4:11's
Line Loc Works!!
The HeLLcamino(Autocross/Driver),357 sb, 700R4 with lock up, 3:73's
The Bad Weather Beater
Old Nov 21st, 11, 2:48 PM
Supporting Vendor
T.C.

We offer Handling kits for the A-Bodies which we believe are a great value..... we had a car featured in Super Chevy too:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...lle/index.html

VIDEOS:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.c...s&videocatid=4

813-986-9302 Phone
813-986-8055 Fax
TC@BMRSuspension.com
www.BMRSuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
Old Nov 21st, 11, 2:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I purchased the stage 4 kit for my 64, for a kit it is pretty good, the parts fit fine and I never had any quality issues, the brakes worked really good and the master cyclinder is a nice piece. However I would not get the 2" drop spindles with the QA1's, the 300lb springs they ship with the kit drop the front end allot and combined with the 2" drop spindle my car would not hold itself off of the crossmember (The salesman talked me into the 2" drop spindles when I ordered the kit - that is my fault for not researching I know)- when I tried to get help from the CPP all they said is they have sold allot of kits and never had any problems, they never offered any assistance or advice on how to make things work, I had to purchase stock spindles and heavier springs (550lb) to make it work. If I had it to do over again I would piece the project together. I wish I would have found this site before I started on my project, allot of good advice and opinions can be found by searching the archives. Like I said I dont mind the CPP products but if you have any problems or need help with them you are on your own because they do have very poor customer service.
Old Nov 21st, 11, 8:08 PM
Team Member
Paul

I have CPP upper and lower tubular control arms on my car. Never had any issues with them, they look and work great.

Having said that if I new then what I do now i'd have looked at SCand C First. So many possitive comments float around about their parts and service it would be a big mistake not to look at their stuff first.
Old Nov 21st, 11, 9:03 PM
Kevin

Sounds like you are building a pretty killer car. However, I would stay away from CPP. I posted this in another area after I promised the customer service guy at CPP that I would make sure that anyone I talked to thought twice before buying anything from them. Really, the best that you usually hear about them is that "their parts fit and they had good prices."

"I wouldn't buy any of the CPP brand stuff ever again. Every time I bought CPP stuff I have had problems with quality and have never had any of them resolved. Sure, if there were a couple of isolated incidents where someone got a rude person on the phone or something didn't fit, I could understand. But in my experience, and almost every post that inquires about the company, I have seen and read people's horror stories. Lousy customer service, parts that don't fit, a bulls*** quality guarantee, and really great prices on all of it! So it seems that instead of a few isolated incidents of unhappy customers, there are a few isolated incidents of HAPPY customers.

I'd hate to not live up to my promise to CPP to bad mouth them every chance I got. What a crappy company."

Feel free to e-mail me. I can give you or anyone else the details of my horror story with them.
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 12:55 PM
Tech Team
Scottie

thanks fellas and Frank is right about the year its a 71 with a 70 front clip on the car and the CPP suspension is out the window after looking at the products (thru pictures only) it looks like its a cheap knock off of someone elses R&D so im going with the BMR stage 2 kit with the GM tall spindle unless snow season is good to me then ill do the AFX tall spindle with the C6 brakes i will be contacting rich (From BMR) in the near future.

Check out the Ride!

1971 Chevelle SS
511ci BBC
4L80E with a 3500 stall
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 1:32 PM
Tech Team
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevyFTW View Post
thanks fellas and Frank is right about the year its a 71 with a 70 front clip on the car and the CPP suspension is out the window after looking at the products (thru pictures only) it looks like its a cheap knock off of someone elses R&D so im going with the BMR stage 2 kit with the GM tall spindle unless snow season is good to me then ill do the AFX tall spindle with the C6 brakes i will be contacting rich (From BMR) in the near future.
here is a youtube link of this suspension in action
#!

Check out the Ride!

1971 Chevelle SS
511ci BBC
4L80E with a 3500 stall

Last edited by BigChevyFTW; Nov 23rd, 11 at 1:47 PM.
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 2:52 PM
Tech Team
Karl

Quote:
Do not put the B-body spindle on your car, it has screwed up ackermann and bump steer. If you want a taller spindle then go right to the AFX tall spindles and the C6 brakes. I did this swap back 25 years ago and can tell you it is not all that great, I run stock spindles with a bit stiffer spring and it works every bit as good as the "good" tall B-body spindles (without the down side too). I am not knocking BMR, cause there are plenty of companies pushing that crappy B-body spindle junk (hotchkis, Global West).

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
Old Nov 23rd, 11, 3:26 PM
Supporting Vendor
T.C.

Quote:
i will be contacting rich (From BMR) in the near future.

FYI....

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-ship View Post
I am not knocking BMR, cause there are plenty of companies pushing that crappy B-body spindle junk (hotchkis, Global West).

Karl,

I actually never mentioned the B-Body spindle as an option..... there are a handfull of aftermarket tall spindles that serve different purposes concerning budget and potential brake options with slightly different takes on being "tall" (taller than stock).

813-986-9302 Phone
813-986-8055 Fax
TC@BMRSuspension.com
www.BMRSuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
Old Nov 27th, 11, 11:04 PM
Tech Team

Not sure if it is an option from BMR, but tall balljoints will do the job without the expense of the ats spindles(which i have heard many times are impossible to get, unless they finally fixed that).
Old Nov 29th, 11, 2:20 PM

Ive got the full kit on my 67 elcamino with the quicker ration steering box. Versus a stock suspension setup this kit was amazing. Car the car feels really solid, and is now a blast to drive. The install was part of a tech story in the Chevelle Magazine for the fall of 2010. We tested the car before and after and the results were great, even with the heavy big block under the hood. In the 420 ft slalom, the stock setup got us 6.82 seconds which equates to 42.1 mph, after the install we pulled off a 6.22 equaling 46.2mph, that's a pretty good increase. Breaking distance was decreased by just over 70 ft. to 120 ft. I did the install myself and the only problem I had was battling my terribly fitting hooker headers, and some old parts that weren't ready to part with the car. I've installed alot of performance suspensions on several different cars, from DSE, RIDE TECH, LATERAL-Dynamics, and Global west. I wouldn't say that the install was any harder than those and the parts seem fine for the price. The bottom line is that if you want a kit that will greatly improve your stock a-body for not a whole lot of money, and your not looking to break and records. The CPP kit is just fine. I should not that this is my totally unbiased opinion. Are there better kits out there, absolutely. But I'm happy with mine
Old Nov 30th, 11, 3:17 PM
Team Member
Aaron

Agreed. The stealing technology comments are funny. The technology in changing roll centers? Using bigger brakes to stop better? And since Im asking does anyone have results showing the vast superiority of the taller spindle in a direct handling comparison? My kit is solid. Welds are sharp. Powdercoat is very nice and im sure the big 2 piston calipers seem crappy to all the high dollar guys but they are fantastic in my opinion. So for all us guys without a 30 thousand dollar suspension budget it is great and does what they say.
Old Dec 7th, 11, 11:47 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUD'S BOY View Post
Agreed. The stealing technology comments are funny. The technology in changing roll centers? Using bigger brakes to stop better? And since Im asking does anyone have results showing the vast superiority of the taller spindle in a direct handling comparison? My kit is solid. Welds are sharp. Powdercoat is very nice and im sure the big 2 piston calipers seem crappy to all the high dollar guys but they are fantastic in my opinion. So for all us guys without a 30 thousand dollar suspension budget it is great and does what they say.

I agree that guys with high dollar budgets probably won't even consider CPP stuff. My point was that for those of us (me included) who are on a tighter budget, CPP stuff ceases to be a good deal when stuff doesn't fit/work/last/perform as expected. Mostly because the price to fix all of the problems approaches or exceeds the cost of buying the more expensive brands in the first place. While they could have problems as well, I haven't had customer service problems with companies like DSE or Hotchkis.

If you had a good experience that is cool. I am just telling my experience with the company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: CPP stage 4 pro-touring suspension kit
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.