looking to buy 71 chevelle need advice - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old Oct 19th, 11, 9:12 PM

Default looking to buy 71 chevelle need advice

so hello everyone im a ls1 camaro guy from ls1tech and im looking into getting a chevelle next weekend. like i said im a camaro guy so chevelles are totally new for me. so heres the specs on the chevelle im looking at, is this a good setup for it?

383 4 Bolt Main, 202/194 Double Hump Heads, Stainless Steel valves with Titanium locks, Double spring valve springs, 11:1 Comp, Forged flat top pistons with 4 valve release, lightened crank, Solid lift cam, Aluminum Roller Rockers, MSD Ignition, 2800 Stall Converter, 350 Turbo with B&M Shift Kit, B&M shifter, Auto Meter gauges, Super Tach., Aluminum 4 core radiator, electric twin fans, fuel cell with electric fuel pump, Holley 850 Demon Carb, supposedly dynoed at 600hp.. As far as the car itself in good condition, no rust, solid floor pans and trunk, no back seat, needs rear window and new seals

guy wants 6500 for it and it will need a paint job

just trying to get a feel of what im getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 19th, 11, 9:25 PM

Default looking to buy 71 chevelle need advice

so hello everyone im a ls1 camaro guy from ls1tech and im looking into getting a chevelle next weekend. like i said im a camaro guy so chevelles are totally new for me. so heres the specs on the chevelle im looking at, is this a good setup for it?

383 4 Bolt Main, 202/194 Double Hump Heads, Stainless Steel valves with Titanium locks, Double spring valve springs, 11:1 Comp, Forged flat top pistons with 4 valve release, lightened crank, Solid lift cam, Aluminum Roller Rockers, MSD Ignition, 2800 Stall Converter, 350 Turbo with B&M Shift Kit, B&M shifter, Auto Meter gauges, Super Tach., Aluminum 4 core radiator, electric twin fans, fuel cell with electric fuel pump, Holley 850 Demon Carb, supposedly dynoed at 600hp.. As far as the car itself in good condition, no rust, solid floor pans and trunk, no back seat, needs rear window and new seals

guy wants 6500 for it and it will need a paint job

just trying to get a feel of what im getting into.
Old Oct 19th, 11, 9:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Default Re: looking to buy 71 chevelle need advice

Sounds ok on the surface, that is allot of ponies for the cubic inches.
Ask for the dyno sheet and then drive it.
Good Luck,
Turbo 400, Moser 12 bolt, Eaton 3:55
Front disc, Full Hotchkis rear suspension
Vintage A/C
Old Oct 19th, 11, 9:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Sounds like a good car, but you need to post some photos for a better
understanding of the car and what it looks like.
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...chevelle69.jpg
Other cars-
2009 Audi S8 5.2 V10
2009 Cadilac Escalade 6.2 V8
Mint 1994 Ford F-350 351 5.8
Old Oct 19th, 11, 9:58 PM

ill get photos tomorrow
Old Oct 20th, 11, 6:58 AM
Tech Team
Jim

11 to one with flat tops? 600 horse? does not sound correct. take it to a dyno. see if it got 450 at the wheels i dout it. also race fuel only if it really is 11 to one. with 62-64cc iron heads fuel cell is not for a cruzer what are your intentions. 71 is one of the least desireables and tougher to sell. i do like them though. good luck.

jim
Old Oct 20th, 11, 7:16 AM
Senior Tech Team

Take the motor as all lies or inflated information, look at the general condition of the car. Decide if you can deal with painting, possible body work and engine rebuild.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.039 at 148.10, 1.266 60'.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01620.jpg
Old Oct 20th, 11, 7:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
Take the motor as all lies or inflated information, look at the general condition of the car. Decide if you can deal with painting, possible body work and engine rebuild.
X2

I don't see 600hp from double hump GM cast iron heads on a 383. Usually takes some pretty decent aftermarket heads to hit that kind of HP with a 383. I had a 406 sbc with 13 to 1 compression, solid roller cam and old Dart Sportsman II iron heads and I know it never made anywhere near 600hp.

I wouldn't swat the engine too much. I'd judge your decision on the car itself, engines can be upgraded/replaced.

good luck
Old Oct 20th, 11, 7:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

knock of $1000 for no dyno sheet (because he wont have one) lol
your there, you can see the car better than us, but pretty much any 71 with min rust is worth that, depending on the degree of buggered up work-all depends on your skill level, or pocket book
Old Oct 20th, 11, 11:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Richy Rich

Send a message via AIM to Hi-po SS 454

If you can look at the WHOLE underbody you would be one step ahead. So many places down there for hidden nasty rust. Check inner area of front fenders at lowest part near door and COWL in same area. Don't ask how I know. I don't want to be reminded. It can all be repaired but maybe with the car price knocked down some for rust. Also look under package tray at rear window from inside trunk and see if your eyes open huge from hidden rust.. Like other guys say of engine, there lieing big time, but if it runs, good enough.
01 HD Deuce
My Showroom
Walk around vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzkB7RTVDUc
Old Oct 20th, 11, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 chevelle 467BBC View Post
11 to one with flat tops? 600 horse? does not sound correct. take it to a dyno. see if it got 450 at the wheels i dout it. also race fuel only if it really is 11 to one. with 62-64cc iron heads fuel cell is not for a cruzer what are your intentions. 71 is one of the least desireables and tougher to sell. i do like them though. good luck.

jim
With a 5.7 rod 406 and 64cc heads flat top pistons with two valve reliefs will give you 11 to 1 ...obviously head gasket thickness comes into play also....not sure about the smaller bore on the 383
2007 300C
2000 Chevrolet crew cab dually
2007 Honda VTX 1300C
1998 S10 rust bucket
Old Oct 20th, 11, 5:45 PM
Tech Team
Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 chevelle 467BBC View Post
71 is one of the least desireables and tougher to sell. i do like them though.

jim
Why is the 71 one of the least desirables. I even seen a poll and the 71 is almost the lowest. I would think the 72 would since HP ratings were even further down then in 71. Is there something else?

I have a 71, so I'm just curious as why it is like that.

Thanks

(I apologize for hijacking the thread), Not my intention, just curious about the comment made.
Old Oct 20th, 11, 7:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71SBChevelle View Post
Why is the 71 one of the least desirables. I even seen a poll and the 71 is almost the lowest. I would think the 72 would since HP ratings were even further down then in 71. Is there something else?

I have a 71, so I'm just curious as why it is like that.

Thanks

(I apologize for hijacking the thread), Not my intention, just curious about the comment made.
There are a lot of guys on here that love to hate on 71's and 72's. They think the 70 is the holy grail. Even if it's a malibu, lol. Personally I love my 71 more than anything. I also have a 67, which is a very popular year, but in my eyes, the 71 comes first. I say to the haters, F'em.

Funny how some Chevy guys, and even Chevelle guys try to put down fellow Chevelle guys. We could be Ford guys or Dodge guys. Take what those morons say with a grain of salt, because that is what it's worth.
Old Oct 20th, 11, 8:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post
I say to the haters, F'em.

Take what those morons say with a grain of salt, because that is what it's worth.
Comments like this give you a lot of credibilty also. Public opinion is just that, Public opinion. It is a right granted to us in this country. I will exercise mine now. I do not have a lot of use for someone that makes comments like that pointed toward people you do not even know.

I may be old but I have seen all the great bands.
Old Oct 21st, 11, 9:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post
There are a lot of guys on here that love to hate on 71's and 72's. They think the 70 is the holy grail. Even if it's a malibu, lol. Personally I love my 71 more than anything. I also have a 67, which is a very popular year, but in my eyes, the 71 comes first. I say to the haters, F'em.

Funny how some Chevy guys, and even Chevelle guys try to put down fellow Chevelle guys. We could be Ford guys or Dodge guys. Take what those morons say with a grain of salt, because that is what it's worth.
I have a 72.

I don't think it is that people "HATE" on the 71's and 72's I think they make statements based on facts....one fact being that the 71's and 72's don't fetch near as much money,in general, as a 70 does. Nothing wrong with a 71 or 72 it's just that many people prefer the look of the 70 I think....personally I love the rear bumper on a 71-72 but prefer the 4 headlights of the 70. jmo
2007 300C
2000 Chevrolet crew cab dually
2007 Honda VTX 1300C
1998 S10 rust bucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: looking to buy 71 chevelle need advice
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.