The end of one era and the beginning of another.... - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Closed Thread

Old Oct 9th, 11, 6:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default The end of one era and the beginning of another....

Well I blew up my Mark Jones 498. I won't be tearing it apart for a while. I am in the dog house. lol Today was my wife and I's anniversary and I blew the car up. Not good. I should have seen the signs but everything seemed fine. Last week my oil pressure did something funny for a second. Replaced the line and all was well. I guess it wasn't. Today, the car was running about 10 degrees warmer than usual. Still was only running about 185 deg. but usually only runs around 170.

First pass was a 6.37, second pass was a 6.52, 3rd pass was a 6.63. I should have known something wasn't right but thought maybe the convertor was just hot. 4th pass go up to do my burnout and the car dies. It never dies...so I told them to open the gate I was going to pull off and I should have I guess. Anyways I started it back up and it seemed fine so I went ahead and went to do my burnout. I started in 2nd and the second I shifted the 3rd there was a loud explosion, the car immediately died and smoke rolled out from under the hood and side of the car very thick.

I had oil and water gushing out the side of my oil pan. I assume I threw a rod. So I called my buddy who just sold his car and he came and towed me home on his trailer. The only real thing that sucks is that King of the Street is next week. I missed that friggin race 3 years in a row now.

Now before everyone or anyone starts bashing on my engine builder...don't bother. I don't blame any on the builder but at the same time I am done with this particular big block. The common denominator in all 4 engines is the block. I hope I blew the block to pieces personally. I drove this car very hard and raced it hard and I wouldn't have changed it for the world. However, the amount of money I put into it and it only last 7 months, I am not going to do it again.

I now have friends that are big into the turbo builds and will start planning to build a 6.0 and a turbo. The goal will be simple. 5.90's and 20mpg. I figure it will cost me a whole lot less and I can still drive it on the street as much as I want. I still plan on E85. E85 doesn't cause you to throw a rod. For all I know my crankshaft busted in half. The motor is completely siezed.

I plan to sell the heads, intake, convertor, trans, carb, etc...I still think I can sell all my stuff and build the engine I want. Plus, if I blow it up, I go back to the junk yard and buy another $400 short block instead of being out $8k.

LS Turbo here I come. I always wanted one and plan to have one ready to go by this comeing April. My Mark Jones 498 was fun while it lasted.

Web Page :http://www.chevelles.com/forums/albu...pictureid=3383
Photo Album-http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 9th, 11, 6:32 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Default Re: The end of one era and the beginning of another....

That is bad news man. Ive been following u from time to time on here and i know she was running like a raped ape. Guess all you can do is start over. I have also been plotting a 6.0 so curious to see how u make out with it.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...-ls-knife.html
Old Oct 9th, 11, 6:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

A sad day indeed but Happy Anniversery good luck Bob
Old Oct 9th, 11, 6:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ben

how many passes were on it?
good luck with the ls build

1970 nova ss pump gas 383ci
1.42-60ft
4.32-330ft
6.77-660ft DA-1500ft 5.13gear
101.109mph-DA-600ft 4.56 gear vvv
9.00-1000ft
10.85 1320ft-DA 2500ft
123.16mph-DA 3000ft
Old Oct 9th, 11, 7:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

to bad about the engine.. i have a feeling this thread is going to get pretty interesting.
Old Oct 9th, 11, 7:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pro Bracket

That SUCKS!!!
Old Oct 9th, 11, 7:25 PM
Team Member
Todd

Oh no! that sucks. I feel for you. Good luck on the LS build.

Best ET 11.28
Best MPH 116.7
Best 60 1.594
Best 1/8 7.15@97mph

http://tinyurl.com/60213IDLE
http://tinyurl.com/Drag-Run
http://tiny.cc/69pics
Old Oct 9th, 11, 7:41 PM
Tech Team
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Well I blew up my Mark Jones 498. I won't be tearing it apart for a while. I am in the dog house. lol Today was my wife and I's anniversary and I blew the car up. Not good. I should have seen the signs but everything seemed fine. Last week my oil pressure did something funny for a second. Replaced the line and all was well. I guess it wasn't. Today, the car was running about 10 degrees warmer than usual. Still was only running about 185 deg. but usually only runs around 170.

First pass was a 6.37, second pass was a 6.52, 3rd pass was a 6.63. I should have known something wasn't right but thought maybe the convertor was just hot. 4th pass go up to do my burnout and the car dies. It never dies...so I told them to open the gate I was going to pull off and I should have I guess. Anyways I started it back up and it seemed fine so I went ahead and went to do my burnout. I started in 2nd and the second I shifted the 3rd there was a loud explosion, the car immediately died and smoke rolled out from under the hood and side of the car very thick.

I had oil and water gushing out the side of my oil pan. I assume I threw a rod. So I called my buddy who just sold his car and he came and towed me home on his trailer. The only real thing that sucks is that King of the Street is next week. I missed that friggin race 3 years in a row now.

Now before everyone or anyone starts bashing on my engine builder...don't bother. I don't blame any on the builder but at the same time I am done with this particular big block. The common denominator in all 4 engines is the block. I hope I blew the block to pieces personally. I drove this car very hard and raced it hard and I wouldn't have changed it for the world. However, the amount of money I put into it and it only last 7 months, I am not going to do it again.

I now have friends that are big into the turbo builds and will start planning to build a 6.0 and a turbo. The goal will be simple. 5.90's and 20mpg. I figure it will cost me a whole lot less and I can still drive it on the street as much as I want. I still plan on E85. E85 doesn't cause you to throw a rod. For all I know my crankshaft busted in half. The motor is completely siezed.

I plan to sell the heads, intake, convertor, trans, carb, etc...I still think I can sell all my stuff and build the engine I want. Plus, if I blow it up, I go back to the junk yard and buy another $400 short block instead of being out $8k.

LS Turbo here I come. I always wanted one and plan to have one ready to go by this comeing April. My Mark Jones 498 was fun while it lasted.
I'm sorry to hear about all the problem but maybe you can trace the failure to find out the cause.
Old Oct 9th, 11, 7:52 PM
Tech Team
Scott

Sorry to hear about your engine, I know firsthand the $$$'s involved in this kind of build. Good luck w/ the LS build, I've got a 6.0L in my daily driver and love it.

Bowedup
Old Oct 9th, 11, 7:55 PM
Tech Team
mark

Happy anniversary!!!

You drove that car verry hard. I am all for that. Yes, bad things do happen, but you would not have done it any other way. At least you know the rest of the car can take the power you threw at it.

498 R.I.P.
4:11 12 bolt

1957 Thundarbird Gasser
Aluminum Shafiroff 582
Richmond 5spd
4:33 59 Olds rear
Old Oct 9th, 11, 7:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Sorry to hear that,but you'll be back at it in no time.
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code