Wrecked 1970 Chevelle SS - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old Jul 29th, 11, 7:24 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Default Wrecked 1970 Chevelle SS

Hey guys,

I recently came across a wrecked 1970 Chevelle "SS" which I feel is basically a parts car. The frame rail in the front isn't too badly twisted but the rear of the frame mangled. It probably could be fixed but not very cost effective, and you end up with a salvage car in the end that never feels right. I would like to buy it but would like to know what's it worth as a complete car as-is? FWIW, it was recently "restored" (body on) and it seemed to be in great shape before it was wrecked.

Some details on the car:

It has a full black interior with buckets and a console. The dash is out of a 72 (it has the seat belt indicator) and the dash pad is cracked in the passenger corner. It has the tach package and a tilt wheel column.

The motor is a solid roller 454 (1971 "CPD" coded block) with a high rise manifold. I didn't cross reference the heads but supposedly they are 68 "COPO" heads. That's about all I can tell without taking anything apart. It has a "muncie" tranny, but not sure whether it is an M20 or 21 (it's not an M22 as per the owner). It does run and supposedly drives but I haven't tried to move it around.

It has the big block steering shaft, disc brakes and F41 suspension, although the rear control arms are aftermarket. It has a 12-bolt in it as well. It doesn't have cowl induction (although the hood is mangled anyways) and no hood pins either. I didn't check the numbers on the tranny or rear.

The windshield is toast but the rest of the glass is good. The only good sheetmetal on the car is the roof, passenger side quarter panel and both doors.

There is no documentation with the car. Judging by the body tag, I can tell that it was originally black cherry (78) with an ivory bench seat interior (790) but no clue if it was originally an SS or not as everything it has that points in that direction could easily have been bolted on when it was restored.

Opinions???

Last edited by GotGrunt; Jul 30th, 11 at 2:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 29th, 11, 7:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Shawn

Default Re: Wrecked 1970 Chevelle SS

I know a guy that restored a 67 that was in far worse shape than that. Many people bring cars back from the dead in far worse shape than that. IMO I wouldn't call that a parts car
Old Jul 30th, 11, 1:37 AM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post
I know a guy that restored a 67 that was in far worse shape than that. Many people bring cars back from the dead in far worse shape than that. IMO I wouldn't call that a parts car
If I owned a body shop OR I got the car for free, by all means I would try to save it... but the guy wants some pretty strong money for it and I can already "estimate" in my head how much it will cost to fix this car properly. A donor frame would be the best bet. Personally, I would rather buy another car for a few dollars more at that point. You're looking at not only a body off BUT still have to straighten out all the mangled stuff. You have to remember that the car has no documentation, so it could have started life as a Malibu for all we know. If it came with documentation, I would never think about stripping it down!

If I buy this, it is strictly to transplant the drivetrain/interior into another Chevelle and part out the rest. I always wanted a 4-speed setup

I'm just waiting on what the gurus think this car is worth before I bite the bullet!

Last edited by GotGrunt; Jul 30th, 11 at 2:20 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 11, 7:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

what's strong money, over 3 grand?
Old Jul 30th, 11, 7:22 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYMAN View Post
what's strong money, over 3 grand?
Double that
Old Jul 30th, 11, 7:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
Double that
I wouldnt spend that much. Any cracks in trans/bellhousing? -hard to tell untill its out.
Old Jul 30th, 11, 7:45 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
I wouldnt spend that much. Any cracks in trans/bellhousing? -hard to tell untill its out.
I also agree that it is too much for what you're actually getting. Yes, the motor runs... but that's about all you can make of it. It has been raining the last few days so I couldn't really see if anything was leaking under the car except for the coolant. The drivers side rear wheel is sitting a little off center but I think it's from the frame being all twisted up. I hope the tranny and rear are still good, but like you said, hard to tell until they are out or you get this car up on a lift. 3 out of 4 wheels took a beating and blew out the tires so its not like you can "take it for a spin" either.
Old Jul 30th, 11, 7:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

$6000 is way too much for that wreck. It can be fixed. It doesn't appear that the A pillars took too much of a shot on it but it's too hard to tell from the pictures. It needs a frame. I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to straighten it, plenty of other frames out there. All of the sheet metal is available. I'd tackle it.
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Old Jul 30th, 11, 8:06 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
$6000 is way too much for that wreck. It can be fixed. It doesn't appear that the A pillars took too much of a shot on it but it's too hard to tell from the pictures. It needs a frame. I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to straighten it, plenty of other frames out there. All of the sheet metal is available. I'd tackle it.
He is adamant that he won't take a penny less than $6k, even though I gave him a cash offer not too far off to see if he would flinch. He said he would rather part it out than take less, but that will take him quite some time finding the right buyers for the parts.

What would you feel comfortable paying for that car, complete?

I do want it, but I'm not looking to get hosed either. The end result is to build my own 70 SS out of another 70 coupe (that a friend of mine has offered to me for a decent price) and the parts off this car. I'm not too into numbers matching/factory correctness anyway, since anything can be faked this day and age. I'd rather build my own and enjoy the hell out of it
Old Jul 30th, 11, 8:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

He will never get remotely close to 6K for that car parting it out. he would be lucky, and I mean LUCKY to get $1500 parting it out. When a car takes a show like that, everything feels the effects of the impact including the engine and transmission. Who knows what kind of damage could have been done to them as well. If it were me, I'd consider $2500 and I would have to really want that car to redo.
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Old Jul 30th, 11, 8:25 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
He will never get remotely close to 6K for that car parting it out. he would be lucky, and I mean LUCKY to get $1500 parting it out. When a car takes a show like that, everything feels the effects of the impact including the engine and transmission. Who knows what kind of damage could have been done to them as well. If it were me, I'd consider $2500 and I would have to really want that car to redo.
Thanks... exactly the answer I was looking for. Now I don't really feel too bad about passing it up. The search continues I guess
Old Jul 30th, 11, 8:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
The end result is to build my own 70 SS out of another 70 coupe .
To do this you will have to break the law. How 'bout rewording it to.......Build a coupe that resembles a SS.

I may be old but I have seen all the great bands.
Old Jul 30th, 11, 8:45 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunz-T View Post
To do this you will have to break the law. How 'bout rewording it to.......Build a coupe that resembles a SS.
LOL... yes, that is what I meant, build an ss clone.
Old Jul 30th, 11, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

If someone could come up with the VIN, I might be able to tell you if it is a clone or not. I built a car just like that around 10 years ago.
2014 Chevrolet SS 6.2 auto/ 2014 ZL1 Camaro 6.2 6 speed SC/ 2011 DurtyMaxx/ 2009 Tahoe 6.0/ 1994 Wrangler 6.0 /1981 Malibu 496/ 1978 Malibu402LSx/ 1971 Monte 496/ 1970 Chevelle454 1970 Monte 454/1968 Chevelle 496 4 speed/1965 442 400 auto.
Old Jul 31st, 11, 12:34 AM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
If someone could come up with the VIN, I might be able to tell you if it is a clone or not. I built a car just like that around 10 years ago.
I didn't bother taking pictures of the vin and body tags since I was not interested in repairing it. I'm pretty sure the car is a clone though, a very good one.

I could be wrong but aside from it having the incorrect dash, isn't the center section of the steering wheel incorrect for a 70 Chevelle SS? Looks like it might be from a 69 Camaro SS.

Last edited by GotGrunt; Jul 31st, 11 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: Wrecked 1970 Chevelle SS
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.