GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camino

Have Bed .... will travel.
El Camino Tech

El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

Old Jul 25th, 11, 6:35 PM
den

Default fuel tank removal

I have a 72 SS Elk small block that I ordered new in Sep. of 71. Its been in storage for the last 15 years. I'm replacing the fuel tank and all components associated with that. The tank is fairley empty, or should I say, volitale? Anyway, the leading edge tank strap bolts and nuts are rusted bigtime. I've done liquid wrench, large ratchet, open ends and box ends with no results. Leverage issues all the way.There are those that say use a die grinder and just cut the bolts, but the advent of a shower of sparks just doesn't seem prudent. Although its been sitting for that period of time, I still got a face full of very old gas when I disconnected the hoses from the hardlines. Anyway, any 'safe' suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 25th, 11, 8:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

Default Re: fuel tank removal

If you're concerned about the sparks igniting the fuel fumes then take a hose and wet down everything under the rear of the car and proceed to cutting the bolts with a cut-off wheel or die grinder. A secondary precaution if you're still worried is to take a fan and put it at the rear of the car on high while you're grinding. I'd bet you'll be fine.
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
Old Jul 25th, 11, 11:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
kevin

If your referring to the forward bolts I just looked at mine, itís on a lift, hacksaw or Sawsall. Lots of room there on a 72. If weight is a concern either shore it up or siphon the fuel out.
Old Jul 26th, 11, 1:32 PM
Tech Team
Stacy

If it's a Cali car, make sure to look for the Buildsheet on the top of the tank.
1970 Chevy SWB 4x4 BBC
Old Jul 26th, 11, 1:41 PM
Tech Team

i was in the same spot in march as you right now. take a hack saw and cut half way through the front bolts holding the straps. then take your wrenches and snap them in two. took me about 20 minutes to get both of them off doing it this way. i too though about using my rotary tool but used the hack saw to minimize sparks.

also, as mentioned above, i have a CA car and i found my build sheet on the top of the tank.

do a search on my name, i wrote up a paragraph on what i had to do and things that can "get-cha" when doing this repair.

good luck - oscar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > El Caminos      Current Topic: fuel tank removal
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.