LS6 engine or 572 new crate motor? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old Jul 12th, 11, 12:22 AM
Tech Team

Default LS6 engine or 572 new crate motor?

Dilemma: rebuilding a 70 Chevelle. I HAVE a 70 LS6 engine. But, is it a "waste" to use a 70 LS6 for a semi- Pro-tour? If I do use the LS6, I would keep it stock (except adding MSD), but seems a waste a year correct engine.

The car will have a modern suspension, modern tranny, modern brakes. Better to buy a Crate (modern) 454, or even a 572? If I go that route, I am sure I can sell the LS6 to someone who is building a year correct car in the future.

Opionions? Is there any value of using 70 454 for a car that has other "modern" parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 11, 1:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Default Re: LS6 engine or 572 new crate motor?

is it the original engine for your car? if so, then you should put the car back to stock, sell it, and build your dream car.. i don't say that because i'm a purist or anything like that- but rather becasuse an LS6 Chevelles is worth a big pile of money and you could build one hell of a PT car with the money..

if it's not the original engine for your car, but is an actual production LS6, then you should sell it and use the money to build or buy a more modern engine for your car. i'd vote for a big inch LS engine of some sort...

i don't know how the value of a production engine varies from a crate LS6, but it might just make financial sense to use it for your car if it's a crate motor.

-Hank Hill
Old Jul 12th, 11, 7:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to tommycomfort

I agree with what Novaderrick said completely. Or, you could always just take all those original parts off the car and safely store them somewhere, but just selling it and building or finding a car that is already what you really want seems smart. I did the BBC to LS swap last winter and believe me, you won't be sorry with that decision!
Tom
Old Jul 12th, 11, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Agreed with Derrik and Tommy.

Further if a big block is a must I would to one of the respected builders on the forum to build a 496 or 540 over a crate 572. You will likely have more power per $$ and not have the pains of swapping in a tall deck.
70 Chevelle SS396 Green on Green
Old Jul 12th, 11, 5:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

If the car has "modern suspension, modern tranny, modern brakes" why would you want to stick an engine in it that was developed in the early 1960s?

I too went from a big block (600hp 502) to an LS engine (420RWHP L92/LS3) and I could not be happier. I just completed a 4300 mile road trip in my GTO. It took me to elevations of over 12,000 feet. I never would have attempted that with the 502. An LS3 with a small cam will get you very close to the power/weight ratio of a 572/620, and will be a million times more fun to drive.

Food for thought.

Andrew
Car Craft feature
Ron Paul for President 2012

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: LS6 engine or 572 new crate motor?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.