Team Chevelle banner

Frame strengthening needed?

17K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  jr2009 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

one quick question, I have a 67 Chevelle Malibu I'm working on. I am building a 454 motor to go into it. now when the motor is all said and done, should be pumping out about 450hp/500tq approx.

would the frame be able to handle that power rating? or should I be making modifications to the frame? (boxing, bracing)

The car originally had a 283 sbc in it, if that helps.

Thanks for any input
JR

#4 ·
my '67 came with a 396/325 motor. dont think there is any difference in the frame but am no expert. will recommend bracing up the rear control arms to frame connection as was done on some bb cars. my current motor is a 496/600hp version. there have been no problems with the frame so far...

#5 ·
SS/BB cars were braced in the rear box cross member area. If you have a factory assembly manual you will find where they attach. I have heard of some members here box there frames complete. Instead of like a "C" channel down below the rockers panels on the frame it's boxed. If your not racing I wouldn't do it. Where the frames tend to crack is right at the fire wall. Where the frame width comes together for the engine.

#7 ·
My build is going a little different direction (750+ hp fuel injected 565), however, I too, decided to strengthen the frame on my '70 coupe. I bought a kit from Tyler @ HPI Customs in April and we're just about finished with the frame. His kit went in without many surprises & I found a TON of areas on the frame that we decided to weld/re-weld since we are planning to throw the car around autoX and road courses once it's done.

(note - gotta change the sig below; 700R4 has been ditched for a 4L80e with FAST EZ-TCU and Shiftworks mechanical speedo tail)

#11 ·
What A arms spindles and rotors are you using ?
SPC Adjustable uppers and SPC tubular lowers. AFX Spindles, Baer 14" Pro Plus 6 piston fronts (SS4+ 13" 4 pistons on the rear).

I think this combo for a GM A-Body should just be called a "Savitske Special", as it seems pretty popular. Unfortunately it will be September before I have it far enough along to actually try it out.

#9 ·
Hey thanks guys for the input. I looked a little more into that HPI kit some of you were talking about and looks like for a sticker price of around 600 I think I might do it. I figure I might as well to add some strength while I have the body off the frame anyways

Thanks again
JR

#12 ·
Edelbrock sells those braces for the rear and they fit perfect.
Behind the rear shocks where that stamped sheetmetal meets the rail I use some rectangle tube, cut slightly into the stamped pieces and welded it all in together, night and day difference there.

On the front was thinking creating a Kbrace would really help out on the twist bit. Look under some C4s or some late model Silverados for some ideas.
You could make those real easy.

#16 ·
yeah I don't have access to tools needed to fabricate a kit like that myself, so I would need a shop to do it for me. if I take that into account I think a 600$ kit would be more suited for me. and I doubt it would cost me 150$ for shipping, when I live in Ontario. I think they ship from Manitoba.

does anyone know if there are prefabricated boxing plate kits out there for boxing the frame of a 67 chevelle?

Thanks for all the input guys
JR

#17 ·
does anyone know if there are prefabricated boxing plate kits out there for boxing the frame of a 67 chevelle?

Thanks for all the input guys
JR
That kit should come with pre-fab boxing plates.
This is what Tyler at HPI wrote me regarding that kit:
Tyler Scarfe @ HPI said:
The full kit is 600 CDN with the tubular bracing, both crossmembers, stainlesss exhaust hangers to match, hardware, boxing plates, and body mount reinforcements.
Pic of the kit from a thread I had a while back:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.