Spohn ARB Install 68-72 Chevelle ? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old May 1st, 11, 2:23 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Default Spohn ARB Install 68-72 Chevelle ?

Getting ready to install Spohn ARB in 72 Chevelle. Got the bar on the rear end. The adjustable ends which attatch to the upper frame have provisions to bolt in to the upper frame member, however the area looks like 1 bolt may get a flat area and where another bolt would go is not flat at all.
Any advice on how anyone installed one bolting in vs welding in ?
Anyone got photos of where they were able to attach with bolts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 11, 2:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Default Re: Spohn ARB Install 68-72 Chevelle ?

This is my HRparts ARB. I had to give them very specific measurements when I ordered. It looks like I may have cheated to get to the flat also.

Mike Lewis street 572
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/
Holley HP EFI
Marcella Manifolds
Heads by Darin Morgan
Cam by UDHarold
.456 X 1.8/1.7
R2C Filters
www.r2cperformance
GF-5R,
TRZ FAB 9" 4.11
4000 lb street car
My Showroom
Old May 1st, 11, 7:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieman427 View Post
Getting ready to install Spohn ARB in 72 Chevelle. Got the bar on the rear end. The adjustable ends which attatch to the upper frame have provisions to bolt in to the upper frame member, however the area looks like 1 bolt may get a flat area and where another bolt would go is not flat at all.
Any advice on how anyone installed one bolting in vs welding in ?
Anyone got photos of where they were able to attach with bolts ?
What year is your Chevelle? (that's assuming that you're talking about a Chevelle ofcourse)....here are some pics of my BMR bar frame brackets in my 70 Chevelle. On one of the bolt on each side I had to cut a flat side on the outer portion of the washers since I was using big diameter washers, and I needed to place the bolt hole very close to the webbing of wall in that area of the frame crossmember.

Just so you have a better understanding of the areas that you'll be seeing in the pics I'm showing you, here's one showing what I did to the rear crossmember to strenghten it. Notice the webbing gussets that I made and then had welded into those areas at the bottom of the crossmemebr where the rear lip at the bottom meets the mounting ears for the upper control arms. One of the two reasons I did this in thse aeras is because I knew that i would be using one of these bolt-in anti-roll bars, ad I wanted to make sure that those areas were really strong and that bottom lip of the crossmember wouldn't ever be distorted from dragstrip launches as a result from having the anti-roll bar brackets bolted to those areas. So this is what you'll be seeing in the following pics after this one here below....

unfortunately, you'll also notice that I had a bit of an issue with the aftermarket emergency brake cable that I was forced to buy from the BAER brake company because the brake option that came with the S-60 Stragne Engineering rear end that I have required me to have to use BAER's E-brake cable ends, and as you can see, the cables are a little on the short side, and I couldn't route them any better than the pictures show... so please exuse that mess! I'm not pleased with that, but there's nothing I can think of to remedy it. Anyway, I also used big diameter washers to help spread the loads of the bolts, and I had to cut flat sides in the washers to fit them in there.....

As you can see in this pic below, it's ok if the mounting surface for the bracket isn't perfectly level, because the spherical rod end ball will simply pivot where it needs to be to make up for the difference anyway....
Old May 1st, 11, 8:32 AM
Tech Team
Jim

This is a Spohn ARB

Old May 1st, 11, 12:45 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks everyone.
Billy really like the frame mods you did to strengthen it up. It is indeed for a '72 Chevelle (I figured you were being funny as we are seeing tons of non-Chevelle posts) Thanks for the washer tip

Jim yours does not bind up at all up and down ? in pic #2 it looks to be extream and that is how mine was lining up also. Did you just use 1/4" steel to shim (assuming you made a U shaped shim) ?
Old May 1st, 11, 1:00 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Thanks everyone.
Billy really like the frame mods you did to strengthen it up. It is indeed for a '72 Chevelle (I figured you were being funny as we are seeing tons of non-Chevelle posts) Thanks for the washer tip

Jim yours does not bind up at all up and down ? in pic #2 it looks to be extream and that is how mine was lining up also. Did you just use 1/4" steel to shim (assuming you made a U shaped shim) ?
It looks worse than it actually is and no binding suspension works well
Old May 2nd, 11, 10:48 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmanjr View Post
It looks worse than it actually is and no binding suspension works well
Jim, next dumb question. I have not tightend anything up yet accept for the mount tot he frame looks like all will work, but there seems to be a lot of play left to right play in the upper spherical rod ends. When I tighten them up does this play go away ? Do I tighten tight enough to take up the play ? There is a lot of gap to take up in the upper mount to snug up on the sperical rod end. (bend inward while snugging up the nut bolt) looks like a lot to take up the play ?
In you picks #2 and #3 I can not tell if you have play left and right. How far did you snug it up?
thanks in advance. Jim
Old May 3rd, 11, 12:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I didn't measure anything. They are on a swivel so how perfect does it really need to be. I layed it up on the flat areas, marked the holes, drilled and bolted in. If there wasn't a swivel I would say it is more important. However, being on the flat spot I thought "trumped" an exact measurement.

Web Page :http://www.chevelles.com/forums/albu...pictureid=3383
Photo Album-http://s1009.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

http://imageshack.com/a/img46/512/ksxp.jpg
Old May 3rd, 11, 1:31 AM
Tech Team
Larry

i trimed the outside corner of the bracket to get it to sit flat on the frame , still plenty strong
Old May 3rd, 11, 1:46 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks I have the brackets bolted in and that is no longer an issue. They look good the uppers attatch well ease and it should not bind. The question now is where the single bolt that actually affixes the upper spherical rod end to the bracket. The bracket has a large gap and the rod end moves freely back and forth left to right with ease. I have not snugged it up yet but can not imaging the 1/4" steel will bent much to take up the gap/slack. Is there a lot of play in the Spohn ARB in this area ?
Old May 3rd, 11, 7:50 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Thanks I have the brackets bolted in and that is no longer an issue. They look good the uppers attatch well ease and it should not bind. The question now is where the single bolt that actually affixes the upper spherical rod end to the bracket. The bracket has a large gap and the rod end moves freely back and forth left to right with ease. I have not snugged it up yet but can not imaging the 1/4" steel will bent much to take up the gap/slack. Is there a lot of play in the Spohn ARB in this area ?
I don't remember there being allot of gap but I don't think the side gap matters. They are locking nuts so I would tighten them without bending the bracket
Old May 4th, 11, 4:38 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I talked to Spohn today and would like opinions on this one : )
I asked for torque specs and what was going on. they called me back later with this information
Lower Bolt to ARB bar torque to 110Ftlb ok that seems reasonable.
Upper Bolt to the frame mount 220ftlb. Now that is a lot of torque.

Does this seem a little high. I do not have a torque wrench that goes that high : )
Old May 5th, 11, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I talked to Spohn today and would like opinions on this one : )
I asked for torque specs and what was going on. they called me back later with this information
Lower Bolt to ARB bar torque to 110Ftlb ok that seems reasonable.
Upper Bolt to the frame mount 220ftlb. Now that is a lot of torque.

Does this seem a little high. I do not have a torque wrench that goes that high : )
All is you need to do is perform a search on the net to find a torque chart, because the amount of torque is determined by the size and thread of the bolts in question.I believe they have a torque chart for various fasteners on the ARP website, and many repair manuals have torque charts too. And yes, 220 FT/LBS doesn't sound right to me either unless Sophn's bar uses 3.4" diameter bolts on the axle tube brackets, which I doubt.

With the BMR bar, there's 3/8-16 bolts for the bracket to frame bolts, and I used 40 ft/lbs of torque for those, and on the big axle tube bracket bolts (which are 1/2-20 bolts) I used 65 ft/lbs even though a torque chart would say 110 ft/lbs, because the axle tube brackets began to distort slightly at that torque. So I stopped there, and they're plenty tight. I also didn't want to distort the axle tubes themselves. Although that would probably take a lot to do that since they're usually made of mild steel with a .188" wall thickness.

But I don't think that I'd want to go to 220 ft/lbs. and if that was really required, then I would think that Spohn would state that in their instructions that are sent out with their product. So I would call into question the individual who you spoke to on the phone who told you that one. Some of the so called "tech" guys that many of these aftermarket companies have manning their phones are completely clueless, and some of them actually ust throw answers at you even when they haven't any idea of what the correct answer to your question is just to get you off the phone.

I'm sure that 110 ft/lbs would be more than enough for the large axle tube bracket bolts. If you're really worried about it though, you can always use red lock-tite thread locker on the bolt threads. Just be advised that if you do that, you'll likely have to heat up the bolts with a butane torque to get them off if you ever decide to remove the bar for any reason. I would just measure the bolt diameter if I were you. For instance, if they're 1/2" bolts, then there's no way they will need 220 ft/lbs of torque.

Last edited by BillyGman; May 5th, 11 at 11:01 AM.
Old Nov 23rd, 12, 6:26 AM
Tech Team
Spike

A few thoughts if you don't mind.

FYI -

From every professional I know who builds cars, engines, chassis'
etc., to a TEE they all tell me they'll not use red locktite, they only
use blue, even when the instructions say use red.

It surprised me, too. But only one bad experience with red
has me not using red again. Regardless what the instructions say.

Torque in lb/ft.

from my wall chart:
SAE
Grade.....5......6......8......head
D-3/4....200...280..296....1-1/8

Metric
Mark.....8G.....10K.....12K.....head
D..16.......................208....24mm
D..18.............236.....283....27mm
D..22...284.....394.....464....32mm

Hope that helps.

Spike
Old Nov 23rd, 12, 1:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

with the red lock-tite sometimes you have to heat up the bolts to get em loose.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Spohn ARB Install 68-72 Chevelle ?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.