Bolt-On Lakewood Ladder Bars - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Apr 7th, 11, 7:16 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Default Bolt-On Lakewood Ladder Bars

I have been researching the lakewood ladderbars and I have heard pretty much NOTHING good about them. I have been hearing things from them ripping out and ruining frames and rearends and binding to the point where the suspension doesn't move.

My dad has them on his 71 chevelle since he was in high school and they have never been a problem. I tried installing them on my 68 chevelle a couple years ago and it bound up the suspension and wouldn't let it move. My dads suspension moves up and down like stock while mine wouldn't move at all.

I wouldn't try them again, but I broke the front sway bar which I didn't really want for the track anyway. This makes the car lean ridiculously far even when I am trying to pull it out of the shop (spool).

I was wondering if I got them to not bind the suspension at all like my dads car, would they help a little with the leaning problem? I am saving for an anti-roll bar, but I don't have the money and I already have the ladder bars. I just want to drive it until I get the anti-roll bar without looking stupid

Any thoughts on this?

16psi on 89 octane
11.28@72mph

Cageless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 7th, 11, 7:23 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Default Bolt-On Lakewood Ladder Bar

I have been researching the lakewood ladderbars and I have heard pretty much NOTHING good about them. I have been hearing things from them ripping out and ruining frames and rearends and binding to the point where the suspension doesn't move.

My dad has them on his 71 chevelle since he was in high school and they have never been a problem. I tried installing them on my 68 chevelle a couple years ago and it bound up the suspension and wouldn't let it move. My dads suspension moves up and down like stock while mine wouldn't move at all.

I wouldn't try them again, but I broke the front sway bar which I didn't really want for the track anyway. This makes the car lean ridiculously far even when I am trying to pull it out of the shop (spool).

I was wondering if I got them to not bind the suspension going up and down like my dads car, would they help a little with the leaning problem? I am saving for an anti-roll bar, but I don't have the money and I already have the ladder bars. I just want to drive it until I get the anti-roll bar without looking stupid I don't really care about a rough ride.

Any thoughts on this?I know what the answer will probably be, but I just want to know if the ladder bars could POSSIBLY help with the body roll.

S475 Turbo

16psi on 89 octane
11.28@72mph

Cageless
Old Apr 7th, 11, 7:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: Bolt-On Lakewood Ladder Bar

It will prevent body roll, but there is no way to prevent binding. They move in a different arc than the rest of the suspension. If you are worried about it, put a stock rear sway bar in it. It will help tie it together.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.039 at 148.10, 1.266 60'
Old Apr 7th, 11, 8:28 PM
Bob

No way I would use the Lakewoods. I like the rear sway bar idea above, but unless you trailer it everywhere I would run a front sway bar.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 8:32 PM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

ladder bars, spool, no front bar, not really safe to drive on the street at all. you should trailer it. IMO, YMMV, all that cop-out jazz.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 8:43 PM
TerribleTom II

Please post your question in only one section rather than spamming it in multiple sections. moving this to Suspension with the other, which is where it should have been in the first place.
Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:02 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Default Re: Bolt-On Lakewood Ladder Bars

Sorry about that. I tried to just put in the suspension section, but it looked like it didn't work because I couldn't see it. Then I decided to try the performance section where its always worked for me. Must of had some type of delay?

I was so frustrated when I tried them the first time that I just took them off and didn't try them again. I actually took your advice and talked to some people and found a factory ss sway bar for a 64 chevelle... will that work on a 68?

16psi on 89 octane
11.28@72mph

Cageless
Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Sway bars interchange form 64-72. I'd want to keep the 7/8 front bar if you're not running a rear bar. The rear bar can't be used in conjunction with the ladder bars. I'm wondering if the binding may be caused by your choice of bushings??

Jerry
Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:43 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Well my friend has the rear sway bar and control arms with the mounts for it that he will let me use until I get the anti roll bar. I am now back to forgetting those ladder bars forever

I had the rubber bushings in the ladder bars. Not sure why it bound up on my car, but didn't on my dads.

Will a factory sway bar do much at the drag strip or not really?

16psi on 89 octane
11.28@72mph

Cageless
Old Jan 24th, 12, 4:33 PM
Tech Team
Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
ladder bars, spool, no front bar, not really safe to drive on the street at all. you should trailer it. IMO, YMMV, all that cop-out jazz.
What makes it unsafe on the street? Just wondering, because I just bought a 68 with ladder bars.....
Old Jan 24th, 12, 7:33 PM
Team Member
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Sway bars interchange form 64-72. I'd want to keep the 7/8 front bar if you're not running a rear bar. The rear bar can't be used in conjunction with the ladder bars. I'm wondering if the binding may be caused by your choice of bushings??

Jerry
Please explain in more detail. Thanx in advance.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...u/GoldSS01.jpg

Driving a musclecar, "PRICELESS"
Old Jan 24th, 12, 8:31 PM
TerribleTom II

spool, no differential action. stepping on the gas while in a turn may cause the car to straighten out, off the outside you go. any throttle at all on a wet street will cause excitement going around corners. ladder bars bars just bind up the the rear suspension. no front bar causes the well-known tuna-boat effect. horrible driving car.
Old Jan 25th, 12, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
george

Send a message via MSN to red71ls5

lakewood ladder bars have been around a long time when welded in they tend to tear out of the frame when properly installed bolted in with backing plate they stiffen the rear plant the tires iv had them for years very street able here is a pic of them working
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	girls 073 (2).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	49261  
Old Mar 15th, 13, 2:23 AM

I don't have any thoughts on this particular subject. Because i don't know about this. I think suspension is very important in car. I never face this problem.
Old Jun 17th, 13, 4:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Marc S

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71ls5 View Post
lakewood ladder bars have been around a long time when welded in they tend to tear out of the frame when properly installed bolted in with backing plate they stiffen the rear plant the tires iv had them for years very street able here is a pic of them working
I know this is an old post but do you still have your chevelle and do you still have the lakewood ladder bars on it?

Marc s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Bolt-On Lakewood Ladder Bars
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.