T56 clutch M/C and mounting bracket? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old Mar 23rd, 11, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Default T56 clutch M/C and mounting bracket?

My LS1/T56 didn't come with a master cylinder for the clutch, so I'm starting from scratch here, and don't really know where to start. This stuff's all new to me. Something in kit-form would be nice, but I don't want to spend a lot either.

I'm not afraid to modify my firewall for mounting a M/C if it will save me money and/or look cleaner when done. What bore size M/C should I use? (planning to use stock '69 pedal assembly, but willing to modify pedal motion ratios if necessary)

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 23rd, 11, 1:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Default Re: T56 clutch M/C and mounting bracket?

Wanna come look at mine?

You can buy or fab a plate to mount the stock LT1 stuff and get it to line up with your new 69 clutch pedal. That should work if the LT1 and LS1 clutch masters are similar, and since they're both T56s, I'd bet they are.

Winner- 2011 Car Craft "Real Street Eliminator" competition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 23rd, 11, 2:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

I've seen a few on LS1 tech that use the stock f-body master set-up. I'll see if I can find them again.

Here's a couple of builds that use an S&P plate that mounts behind the brake booster, they give dimensions for the plate if you want to fab it yourself.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Streetstori...ls1camaro1.htm

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/LS...toryscreen.pdf
Old Mar 23rd, 11, 5:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

didn't ATS make a kit just for this that uses a Camaro master cylinder and throwout bearing, with a mounting bracket and instructions on how to modify your pedal?
or was that just for Camaros?

-Hank Hill
Old Mar 23rd, 11, 6:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim King

Send a message via AIM to Bad66Chevelle454

I'd highly suggest to use the stock Chevy set up. That's what I did. Works perfect and you can get parts for it if you're stuck on some road trip. Part number: 12570277. It's cheaper to buy it and ship it from gmpartsdirect than from your local dealer. Comes complete with the master, braided line and reservoir.

For mounting, I used that typical mount, thats kinda like a piece of metal bent on an angle. You can get them from just about anywhere, I got mine from DSE I believe. It puts that master cylinder at the correct angle to match up with your pedal.

Feel free to ask me any questions, I went through all this not too long ago on my car. There's probably even pictures of it in my build thread.

Build Thread:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285211

Special thanks to:
http://www.code510.com
Old Mar 23rd, 11, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

Buy the premade bracket, its kind of a complex angle and geometry/throw has to be right or youll blow your slaves out.
had to make mine and figure it out yrs before all these kits came out.

Yoll love the conversion, to date best mod Ive done totally transformed the car.
You can build the motor to be a beast and still cruise the fwy
Old Mar 24th, 11, 4:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

If you're going with the stock setup, here's a bracket for $30.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-T...item3f07e2538a

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338300

New Project: 70 Chevelle 5.3/4l60e
Old Mar 26th, 11, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc2001gc View Post
I don't think that those brackets work well on A-bodies. They were originally designed for 1st gen F-bodies. I recall having a chat with Tyler at ATS and he mentioned some issues when the bracket is used on A-bodies.

I ended up going with the Keisler kit which I am very happy with. The angle was perfect and there are various, inexpensive MCs that are available. I started with the .750" bore MC, but switched to a .700" bore MC to reduce the travel of the TOB. Each setup will be unique of course.

Andrew
Car Craft feature
Ron Paul for President 2012

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old Mar 26th, 11, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
I don't think that those brackets work well on A-bodies. They were originally designed for 1st gen F-bodies. I recall having a chat with Tyler at ATS and he mentioned some issues when the bracket is used on A-bodies.

I ended up going with the Keisler kit which I am very happy with. The angle was perfect and there are various, inexpensive MCs that are available. I started with the .750" bore MC, but switched to a .700" bore MC to reduce the travel of the TOB. Each setup will be unique of course.

Andrew
Andrew, I agree with your statement as this bracket does not work well with A body cars. I just purchased this item from the same ebay seller and 1. the mounting holes do not line up and the angle for the mc is not correct. My original thoughts were to simply enlarge the holes, but I think I will just return it and purchase one from ATS or Tick Performance.
Here's a couple of photos of my test fit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	40186

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	40187
Old Mar 26th, 11, 6:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I don't know about the above pictured bracket but I fabricated my own following a blueprint I posted on another recent thread and it worked out perfect, no issues, on an a-body.

Jerry
Old Mar 27th, 11, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I'm going to try making my own bracket... probably something welded to the firewall, since everything needs to be repainted anyway. I'll use the GM master cylinder, reservoir, and hoses.
Old Mar 28th, 11, 1:53 AM
Tech Team
Tom

I used one from Hurst Driveline

Here is a pic installed on a 1970 Chevelle.

Old Mar 28th, 11, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tim King

Send a message via AIM to Bad66Chevelle454

I used that same Ebay bracket and it worked perfectly on my car. Yes, the mounting holes were very tight, but it did go on. After that I just welded a tab onto my clutch pedal, bolted the master to that and I was done.

I just got done installed a 5 speed from Hurst Driveline using the same set-up as pictured above and I didn't like it as much. You have to use the remote reservoir, which doesn't cleanly mount anywhere and how the master mounts with the pedal isn't as nice. With their bracket I couldn't get the angle right to allow the right amount of throw(full throw on pedal but only 1" throw on master). I wasn't impressed with their set up. Truthfully, I'm not impressed with that company, but that's just my personal experience.

Build Thread:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285211

Special thanks to:
http://www.code510.com
Old Mar 28th, 11, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Well now I'm as confused as when I started...

What, if done incorrectly, will cause the slave to blow out? Is it from over-extending the master cylinder? Can't that be adjusted in the linkage to the pedal?

What are you guys using to seal off the firewall? That was one of the reasons I was thinking of making my own bracket, I could just make the firewall come out to the M/C if needed.
Old Mar 28th, 11, 6:07 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Derek,

I can't say that I fully understand it either but I believe that your pedal travel can exceed your master thus causing premature failure. I was told you really should want to use the floorboard as your stop instead of a bolt. I really have no idea if mine is correct however the fact that I have actuated several times in the limited drive time and it works. There is some adjustment in the rod I have just as it would be on an aftermarket brake m/c. I noticed Tim (above) mentioned something about only getting 1" of travel so his set up must differ from mine as the Ram TOB I am using only has .700" from start to finish for travel. The spacing for bell housing face to pressure plate fingers need to be measured really good. I had pull the trans to add a shim and flat backing a trans is no fun.

As for sealing the firewall I have not done anything yet. However I am using some one sided sticky joint sealant like below picture arorund the open area of my roll cage bar and floor pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad66Chevelle454 View Post
You have to use the remote reservoir, which doesn't cleanly mount anywhere and how the master mounts with the pedal isn't as nice. With their bracket I couldn't get the angle right to allow the right amount of throw(full throw on pedal but only 1" throw on master). I wasn't impressed with their set up. Truthfully, I'm not impressed with that company, but that's just my personal experience.
I thought most were remote mount reservoir? I understand opinons vary but I thought the bracket from Hurst worked and went on good for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: T56 clutch M/C and mounting bracket?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.